Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Theasley
    • Oct 2006

Media & burners, finding the perfect match

Hello, I'd like to learn what blank DVD media our production company should purchase to create review DVDs for clients that will be free from errors. Currently we've been having issues. Even if we perform a playback check and the DVD plays without hitch on our DVD players, occasionally a client will report that they are unable to load a DVD or the playback stutters.

We've tried re-exporting the DVD source media, burning at slower speeds, and purchased higher-end media. But we seem to still end up with discs that play back poorly. We seem to experience most of the problems with longer-format productions (over one hour), and the issues seem to occur toward the end.

I'd like some advice on what media we should purchase for our setup:

Computers: Mac OS X, Dual 2.7 GHz G5
    Burning software: Toast Titanium 7
    Burner 1: Sony RW/DW D150A
    Burner 2: Sony DW-W28A
    Burner 3: Tsst Corp CD/DVDW SH-S182D

The media we've been using recently, that has not been dependable, is:
    - Generic media from Comp USA DVD-R (printable surface for labeling)
    - Philips DVD-R (printable surface)

We did purchase Verbatim DVD+R to see if that would remedy our issues on our longer-format DVDs and it seemed to work. The same hour-long video burnt to the cheap media resulted in issues, the Verbatim discs were smooth. However we recently had another client report some playback issues toward the end of the hour-long video.

So to recap: I'd like to get some recommendations on what kind of media we should use that would work best with our burning setup.

Thank you for your help!
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

burn the verbatims at 8x on the samsung, use dvd+r format and booktype

mac is not up to snuff with the dvd world

compusa and philips media is crap

Comment

• locoeng
      Who Farted?
      • Dec 2005

Verbatim is generally regarded as some of th best along with Taiyo Yuden and should have a very high degree of compatability with burners and standalone players. Make sure that firmware is current for your burners and that you aren't burning too close to the edge of the disc. The play time of the disc doesn't matter as much as the size of the file that you are burning to the disc, to avoid burning too close to the edge of the disc keep the target size of the file you are burning between 4300 and 4400 Mb.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
      Walt Kelly

Comment

• Theasley
        • Oct 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
        burn the verbatims at 8x on the samsung, use dvd+r format and booktype

mac is not up to snuff with the dvd world
        Are there any guides in this forum about burning with Macs? Our production company is predominately a Mac world.

Also, could you lead me to info on booktype? I'm not familiar with that. Is it a process that would be helpful in burning videos to DVD?

thanks

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

This might help on booktype.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=46559.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

Roxio Customer Service can assist you with orders, product registration, and any questions you may have.

unfortunately roxio has toast so support forums are few and far between

try to stay away from mac specific burners that won't get the firmware upgrades that are so necessary for newer media.

that samsung is a good burner

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎