• Show
Clear All
  • rock_king_my
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jul 2006

Use Winzip / WinRar to compress Dual Layer DVD into 4.7GB DVD

Hi

This is a wierd question, NOT about DVD/VCD related software.

I want to compress some of my dual layer DVD collection (i.e. >4.7GB disc) to fit into a regular single layer disc (4.7GB).

This is purely for storage/back-up purposes, I know you canNOT player ZIP/RAR files on a DVD player / software!

I tried reading the HELP! files for WINZIP & WINRAR & I still don't know if it's possible.

How far can WINZIP or WINRAR compress a file / folder anyway?

If possible, somebody please to a guide!

CHEERS!
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

winzip/winrar will not compress video files

Comment

• rock_king_my
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Jul 2006

Oh .. bugger!

Hi

Ok but are are there any software that do this?

What about that thing called RATDVD?
      Last edited by rock_king_my; 7 Nov 2006, 01:17 AM. Reason: Adding stuff

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

use dvdshrink to edit out extras and compress to single layer size

use dvdrebuilder to keep more stuff and compress more

dvd's on average hold 7-8 gigs of already compressed mpeg2 video, I have heard uncompressed it's maybe 10 times that size
        Last edited by Chewy; 7 Nov 2006, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• blutach
          Not a god of digital video
          • Oct 2004

MPEG Video is already highly compressed. Because of the nature of MPEG2, there are few repeated "strings"; therefore not lending itself easily to compression via ZIP. Some things compress well - credits for example.

Regards
          Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
          [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

What about that thing called RATDVD?
            quality is lost in the process. and to play it on a standalone you must encode back to mpeg2, further degrading quality

if you want a dvd5 you're better off using dvd rebuilder and/or stripping unwanted extras as mentioned

winzip/winrar will not compress video files
            uncompressed video compresses quite well
            Last edited by anonymez; 7 Nov 2006, 09:59 AM.
            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Calimari
              • Oct 2006

Originally Posted by rock_king_my
              This is purely for storage/back-up purposes
              CHEERS!
              This is what I sometimes do. When you've ripped the original, and checked everything for compliancy (check in Media Player Classic for example), you could RAR the whole folder. Your video won't be compressed any further. As blutah said, DVD video signal is mpg2 so already highly compressed.
              But! In Winrar you have an option to split your archive to volumes. One predefined volume is DVD+R 4481MB. So you'll end up with two rar files. The first one being about 4481Mb, the second one containing all the rest.
              With the cheap prices these days for single layer media, this is a good solution to store the original, a lot cheaper than bying a dual layer disc. So burn the rar's to two single layer discs. You can't play it, only store it. Whenever you decide to do something with it (edit, transcode, encode, DivX, XviD,...), unrar the rar files to your harddrive and you're back to where you started: your original rip.
              Oh, don't make a self extractor of it. I've experienced problems with that, probably because the archive is bigger than 1GB, I don't know...
              It's also a good idea to check 'put recovery record' when backing up to optical media, gives less chance on read errors and you have to burn two discs anyway.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...