X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ed klein
    Banned
    • Mar 2004

Windows Vista/Windows Media Center And DRM---The End Is Near

Computerworld covers a range of technology topics, with a focus on these core areas of IT: Windows, Mobile, Apple/enterprise, Office and productivity suites, collaboration, web browsers and blockchain, as well as relevant information about companies such as Microsoft, Apple and Google.

The End Is Near

• RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

This is why it is very important to keep your current working systems and not throw them away or overwrite them with this new OS.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• codajohn
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Jul 2005

Should we all start buying up pre-Vista machines?
      CJ
      My DVD Collection
      Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning

Comment

• ed klein
        Banned
        • Mar 2004

If you don't want to build the computer yourself, and you want to purchase a bare bone high speed model, and then soup it up yourself, there still seems to be options for the operating system, most default operating systems are the Microsoft Media Center with an upgrade to the Windows XP Pro. But SOON the default setting is going to be Vista.

But, not sure if the motherboard changes with the upgrade to Pro version, probably not.

Last edited by ed klein; 18 Nov 2006, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• RFBurns
          To Infinity And Byond
          • May 2006

Originally Posted by codajohn
          Should we all start buying up pre-Vista machines?

That is not a bad idea. I would also stock up on a couple of motherboards that you currently have, as well as spare HD's, memory, peripherial cards etc.

I have machines going back to DOS 5 and spare hardware for each. I can swap out the mobo if necessary on any of my PC's. I also have stored any and all OS updates, patches, drivers for the various cards, plus the spares so if anything were to die, I can revert to the spares and continue.

I have yet to use any of the spare parts (knocks on wood), or have had to break out the backup archive to re install stuff. It is a comforting feeling knowing that I have plenty of backup, both hardware and software in case of some major catastrophe.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• codajohn
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Jul 2005

I smell a lucrative business in retro hardware and software in the not so distant future.
            CJ
            My DVD Collection

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Comment

• soup
              Just Trying To Help
              • Nov 2005

All this stuff is retro before you even buy it nowadays (obselete).

Comment

• RFBurns
                To Infinity And Byond
                • May 2006

Originally Posted by codajohn
                I smell a lucrative business in retro hardware and software in the not so distant future.

Yep. Though I have found that alot of the end users who buy the older hardware and software are folks that like to run the older games since they dont run very well or at all on the faster, newer platforms.

But for the user who wants to continue to backup DVD's etc and get around this new brew-ha-ha in copy prevention, keeping the current working systems running for years to come is something most here might begin to consider and start planning a strategy to have the necessary backup hardware and software..before its too late.

Who knows, backing up movies and games may become even more difficult than what is anticipated with this new OS on the horizon. It is always a good idea to have a "back door" when the front door is sealed.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• RFBurns
                  To Infinity And Byond
                  • May 2006

Originally Posted by soup
                  All this stuff is retro before you even buy it nowadays (obselete).

This is true! And the prices are extremely cheap, making the task of building up a hardware/software backup that much easier.

Pay close attention to close-out ads and auctions. Monitoring on-line auction sites is a good idea too. Once in a while liquidation companies go to various cities and hold huge cash only sell-outs on retro stuff. These are gold mines in finding the outdated stuff.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• AlienX69
                    Interstellar Traveler
                    • Feb 2005

I currently have 4 boxes myself, one on the fritz (P4) that I'm trying to revive, just RMA the mobo (AGAIN).

Where I'm going with this is to suggest that you test these spares to make sure they will work when you need them. Best to build a configuration and just leave is sit, this is what a currently do with a P3, P2, AMD 3800 (currently the primary). Thinkin of goin to Fry's an purchasing another $100 AMD/mobo combo (backup).

Comment

• RFBurns
                      To Infinity And Byond
                      • May 2006

Yes! Testing the spares every so often ensures they are good to go when the call of duty whistle blows!

I test my spares about once every 4 months or so. I store them in anti-static bags and place dry packs in them to keep out moisture.

If one were to begin building a spare pile slowly now, it will pay off soon enough when everything switches over to this new Vista system.

Then as others who ignore the warnings, they will be screaming and doing the hair-pulling party, while the rest that took the advice continue to back up movies while sipping on some good wine or other spirits and having a "happy" party instead!

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• AlienX69
                        Interstellar Traveler
                        • Feb 2005

Todays deals at one of my other favorite stores .... CLICK HERE

Here's a REAL CHEAPO ..... CLICK HERE ....

More Combo Deals .... CLICK HERE

Not BAD .... CLICK HERE .... mobo/CPU/ + RAM .... for a $113 (needs a CPU fan, I just happen to have a brand new stock fan)
                        Last edited by AlienX69; 18 Nov 2006, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• celtic_druid
                          Digital Video Expert
                          Digital Video Expert
                          • Dec 2005

Well there is always Linux. For people who want to run Windows, perhaps the release of Vista will increase the development efforts of ReactOS. You don't have to buy or run windows.

Comment

• tigerman8u
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Aug 2003

I tried the beta version of vista for a couple of days. I formatted the HD and put xp pro back on.

Comment

• codajohn
                              Digital Video Expert
                              Digital Video Expert
                              • Jul 2005

tiger,
                              What were some of the issues that made you go back to XP? Besides the issues mentioned in ed klein's link.
                              CJ
                              My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎