X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

I used to had an sony 1693 it only burn at 4x in order for quality's good MCC02 was the only thing I could get to burn at 4x
    sigpic

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

It seems I can't do a quality scan. I have never had the need to do one as I don't believe they give accurate results. I have seen top quality discs give less than 50 quality yet they still play fine years later.

All I require is a CRC error check to be error free and the disc play 100% on all the players I have including the computer. I have burned four discs so far as they have all played fine.

Comment

• Mr. Smooth
        • May 2006

I haven't had any problems with any brand I have used. I usually go with what is on sale!

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

I have burned 15 so far with Imgburn (complete Futurama) and they all play fine so I am happy. They worked out at £0.13/$0.25 per disc.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

nice to see someone else who shuns the scanning crap!

imaginary greens for nwg.
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

play now, pay later

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

we'll see about that chewy. we'll just see. i got a few crappy discs with crappy burns that are supposed to not play after a few months play perfect still. almost 3 years old.(AML). when i see it, i'll believe it. the thing is you guys strive for very high quality scores, yet a score you may reject and deem (sh.it) may be perfectly good to last 50 years. too early to make any concrete rules IMO.
                "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                Columbo moments...
                "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

test those disks in some iffy players, I have

they have problems

the bottom line is can your computer read the burns so you can reburn when
                  necerssary

simply take an older aml burn and do a disk transfer test and post the png

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

the bottom line is can your computer read the burns so you can reburn when
                    necerssary
                    absolutely. i've done it many times. maybe i'm lucky or maybe it's good enough a burn? i don't deny the science of the scanning chewy or your knowledge, just i think the scanning thing is a bit over the top (most of the time IMO and unecessary). plus it's a great way to wear the frickin hell out of a good drive for nothing (IMO). you burn to scan, i just burn. i've also got a bunch of memorex dvd's you guys say are "pure crap" and will "fail in 6 months" these are over 2 years old and play flawlessly - these are reasons for my skepticism.
                    Columbo moments...

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

now scanning isn't gonna wear out a burner any faster than verifying, I just scan as a spot check. Hardly ever use verify. I finally used up some iffy disks by doing a quick scan on every burn, reburning anything that was below
                      50 in quality and pitching the bad ones. That was a waste of my burner, and what I get for buying hong kong TY clones/fakes.

I do try to keep an eye on my burn times, when I see a disk taking extra time, I will scan the burn before I delete the file from my hard drive.

when my buddy gave me some memorex's I scanned a few of the burns at first just to make sure they were a good batch

my verbs and ty's I don't have to scan very much, they are consistent

Comment

• masscamp24
                        • Feb 2006

[quote=Chewy;484361]now scanning isn't gonna wear out a burner any faster than verifying, I just scan as a spot check.
                        I do that too but recently I receive this warning from imgburn (see log *) and I wonder if my drive is going bad or is it the disc? However the burn was good.

I 07:13:50 ImgBurn Version 2.1.0.0 started!
                        I 07:13:50 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)
                        I 07:13:50 Initialising SPTI...
                        I 07:13:50 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
                        I 07:13:51 Found 2 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD±RW!
                        I 07:14:09 Operation Started!
                        I 07:14:09 Building Image Tree...
                        I 07:14:10 Checking Directory Depth...
                        I 07:14:10 Calculating Totals...
                        I 07:14:10 Preparing Image...
                        I 07:14:10 Checking Path Length...
                        I 07:14:10 Image Size: 4,694,147,072 bytes
                        I 07:14:10 Image Sectors: 2,292,064
                        I 07:14:10 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:00
                        I 07:15:02 Operation Started!
                        I 07:15:02 Building Image Tree...
                        I 07:15:04 Checking Directory Depth...
                        I 07:15:04 Calculating Totals...
                        I 07:15:04 Preparing Image...
                        I 07:15:04 Checking Path Length...
                        I 07:15:04 Image Size: 4,694,147,072 bytes
                        I 07:15:04 Image Sectors: 2,292,064
                        I 07:15:07 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:04
                        I 07:15:07 Operation Started!
                        I 07:15:07 Source File: -==/\/[BUILD IMAGE]\/\==-
                        I 07:15:07 Source File Sectors: 2,292,064 (MODE1/2048)
                        I 07:15:07 Source File Size: 4,694,147,072 bytes
                        I 07:15:07 Source File Volume Identifier: DVD
                        I 07:15:07 Source File Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.1.0.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!
                        I 07:15:07 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn
                        I 07:15:07 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
                        I 07:15:07 Destination Device: [0:1:0] _NEC DVD+-RW ND-3450A 102B (E (ATA)
                        I 07:15:07 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: RITEKG05) (Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x)
                        I 07:15:07 Destination Media Sectors: 2,297,888
                        I 07:15:07 Write Mode: DVD
                        I 07:15:07 Write Type: DAO
                        I 07:15:07 Write Speed: 4x
                        I 07:15:07 Link Size: Auto
                        I 07:15:07 Test Mode: No
                        I 07:15:07 BURN-Proof: Enabled
                        I 07:15:08 Filling Buffer...
                        I 07:15:09 Writing LeadIn...
                        I 07:15:41 Writing Image...
                        *W 07:22:49 Waiting for buffers to recover...
                        *W 07:23:01 Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level...
                        I 07:23:03 Writing Image...
                        *W 07:24:40 Waiting for buffers to recover...
                        *W 07:24:44 Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level...
                        I 07:24:46 Writing Image...
                        I 07:30:04 Synchronising Cache...
                        I 07:30:13 Image MD5: d0f2979960f01ba0cea4513ba7973383
                        I 07:30:15 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:15:06
                        I 07:30:15 Average Write Rate: 5,318 KB/s (3.8x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,931 KB/s (4.3x)
                        I 07:35:22 Close Request Acknowledged
                        I 07:35:22 Closing Down...
                        I 07:35:30 Shutting down SPTI...
                        I 07:35:30 ImgBurn closed!
                        Last edited by masscamp24; 4 Dec 2006, 12:17 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

if it just started on a new batch of disks then it's probably those g05's causing it, they are highly inconsistent, even within a spindle

if it's doing it on every disk then it might be your laser's getting dirty/weak? and the AOPC is trying to compensate for it by slowing down the burn to keep quality
                          up

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by Chewy
                            now scanning isn't gonna wear out a burner any faster than verifying, I just scan as a spot check. Hardly ever use verify. I finally used up some iffy disks by doing a quick scan on every burn, reburning anything that was below
                            50 in quality and pitching the bad ones. That was a waste of my burner, and what I get for buying hong kong TY clones/fakes.

I do try to keep an eye on my burn times, when I see a disk taking extra time, I will scan the burn before I delete the file from my hard drive.
                            i don't verify the burns either. i watch them. that is verify to me. i don't delete untill it is watched without problems. i also watch the burn times. i've seen it take a little longer on an rw once. pc was a mess at the time.
                            Columbo moments...

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

Unfortunately I still have a daughter(19) who doesn't have a dvd burner yet and I get stuck backing up for her, her computer barely handles music.
                              When she got a title that I wouldn't even watch, I used my fake/clone hong kong disks and did a quick quality scan. It did waste 4 minutes of benq time.
                              My son already hit me up for one of my best combo drives and a nec burner.
                              now he's complaining that bitsett verbatims are locking up in his(my old) toshiba standalone.
                              will try a disassemble clean today, if you can resurrect a dvd burner why not?

old hillbilly saying "poor people have poor ways"
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Chewy; 4 Dec 2006, 04:31 AM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                                Demigod of Digital Video
                                • Nov 2004

you mean you give your daughter crap discs for her back-ups?
                                Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...