Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wild77
    • May 2005

DVD Rebuilder in Linux using Wine

Using Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper I was able to get the Free version of Rebuilder working with the HC Encoder.
    Screen shots
    Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Since updating to Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy I can not get it going, all of the encoders will open up but not Rebuilder. Now that Ripit4Me is working with Wine I really want to get Rebuilder working again.

I am a long time user of the PRO version but would love to get this great program running in Linux. I was never able to get my pro version working (I believe it was due to the license key)

Has anyone else tried to get this going in Linux?

@Jdobbs what are your thoughts, any suggestions.
  • jdobbs
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Sep 2004

That's pretty cool... although I'm not really sure what the problem could be.

When you try to run the Pro Version, does it get far enough that it shows the registration screen?

I used to do a lot of work with Linux, device drivers and the like. But it's been quite a while. Maybe I'll throw together a Linux system and play with it a little. I noticed you're gett about 35fps with HC. What kind of processor is in use? I'd be interested to know how the times compare to a straight Windows run.

Is there a version of Wine that runs on a Mac with OS-X? That'd be interesting too.

Did you have to drag over a lot of DLLs and OCXs from Windows?
    Last edited by jdobbs; 10 Dec 2006, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• Miss Marple
      Dithering old maid
      • Nov 2005

No problems with Mandriva 2007 and the free version of DVD-R. I had to add the file msvbvm60.dll to the win32 directory to get the program to start in Wine.

Comment

• wild77
        • May 2005

I had to add the file msvbvm60.dll to the win32 directory to get the program to start in Wine.
        That worked for me as well, thanks for the tip. Once again Miss Marple to the Rescue!

Jdobbs Thanks for the great program!
        35fps with HC was with a P4 2.4ghz, I will start more testing when I get some free time.

Comment

• Miss Marple
          Dithering old maid
          • Nov 2005

When you install new Windows program, use a terminal window, as you will see the Wine errors that causes the installation to abort.

Comment

• wild77
            • May 2005

My original set-up of DVD Rebuilder on Ubuntu was done using WineTools to configure Wine. Since updating to Edgy 6.10 and deleting the Winetools files I have not been able to get Rebuilder to work on Ubuntu.

It seems Winetools is no longer available, all the links are dead!

Here are some screen shots of the problems and errors!

This is what I get when Trying to install the pro version

I will keep working on this set-up and when I get it working it will be the end of Windows for me.

@Miss Marple what version of Mandriva 2007 are you using, The free or pay version?

@Jdobbs I am sure you are a very busy person already, any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

• jdobbs
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Sep 2004

I've seen the "Runtime Error 5" before. Not sure if its related, but that is the error that occurs when DVD-RB is run on a PC configured for an Asian character set. In Windows it can be corrected by setting the "Language for Non-Unicode Programs" to English (or another western language).

The second error is related to use WinSock TCP/IP connectivity.
              Last edited by jdobbs; 14 Dec 2006, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• wild77
                • May 2005

I have been doing some searching on the msvbvm60.dll and found this info.

My installer fails with "import_dll Library MSVBVM60.DLL not found"!

Your installer requires but doesn't install the Visual Basic runtime libraries. You or the end-user can work around this by installing them (by running vbrun60.exe or vbrun60sp5.exe) before running your installer. You should probably fix your installer to install the runtime libraries (and to work properly on systems that don't include the vb runtimes yet!).
                Link to this site. Tips for shipping VB6 or Visual C++ Apps on Linux

I will be doing more testing as I am determined to get this working again.

With the use of WineTools on my old system I was able to get DVD Rebuilder working again. The problem with this is that WineTools is no longer recomended for use with the newest versions of Wine, and seems to break a lot of other things.

I plan on posting a list of things installed by Winetools after running another test set-up to see if I can track down what I need.
                Last edited by wild77; 20 Dec 2006, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• jdobbs
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • Sep 2004

That DLL is installed with the O/S as long as you are using Windows 98, Windows 2000, or Windows XP. My guess is that the version of Wine in use decided it wasn't essential and left it out.

Comment

• wild77
                    • May 2005

I have it working again on my P4 2.4ghz Ubuntu system using a hacked together Winetools as more of the links are dead. Here are some screen shots.

Prepare Phase

HC Encoder

Encoding Time

Rebuild Completed

The only problem with this Set-Up is that I have totally broken VobBlanker!
                    No one said this would be Easy!

Comment

• wild77
                      • May 2005

I now have Cinema Craft Encoder basic working with DVD Rebuilder

I still have not got my pro version of RB working yet, it will install just not open!

The Encoding time for the movie in this Screen Shot using CCE was 87 min

Quite a reduction from the 174 min Encode using the HC Encoder.
                      Last edited by wild77; 24 Dec 2006, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• ydrol
                        • Jan 2007

Originally Posted by jdobbs
                        I've seen the "Runtime Error 5" before. Not sure if its related, but that is the error that occurs when DVD-RB is run on a PC configured for an Asian character set. In Windows it can be corrected by setting the "Language for Non-Unicode Programs" to English (or another western language).
                        Hi, I'm getting this error also. However the default local is set to US-English. I checked
                        the Registry\HKLM\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\ Nls\\Language
                        ( http://shorl.com/jerisatrahitra )

and according to my "wine regedit" the Default and InstallLanguage keys are both set to "0409" US English Locale IDs. ( http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/r.../lcid-all.mspx )

It would be really great if we could get this running under "vanilla" wine, without winetools. I know people have had some success with 'winetools' but this might be using some native windows dlls rather than pure emulated ones. I dont have windows installed at all. Maybe we could rally a few Linux users to purchase some pro licenses as some incentive

Comment

• wild77
                          • May 2005

I can not believe no one else has tried to get this running in Linux. My next step is going to be CrossOver Linux from CodeWeaver's and see how that works.

I managed to get the Free version of DVD Rebuilder listed at Wine HQ
                          Open Source Software for running Windows applications on other operating systems.

Comment

• moonboots
                            • Aug 2005

I'm running DVD-RB Pro with HC encoder under wine 0.9.29/Gentoo

I copied the following dll into win32 directory replacing wine versions ( not sure if this is necessary for all of them ? )
                            advpack , asyncfilt , comcat , mfc42 , msvbvn60 , oleaut32 , olepro32 stdole2

Using winecfg set oleaut32="native" for rebuilder.exe

Comment

• wild77
                              • May 2005

Thanks for the tip I will give it a try when I get off work in the morning. I also have the Pro version but have had problems registering it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎