X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durkinjt
    Banned
    • Jun 2006

Disk test accuracy

Just how accurate are the Nero disk quality tests? I've had some tests showed several errors and red lines then tried disk scan , also showed a lot of red, yet the disk played fine, glad I didn't discard the disk, gave it to my daughter to try on her player to see if it would work, played fine.
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

it is depend on what burner that you are scanning with, it may just show how fast that disc will not be able to play in the near future , it is just a guess dont take word for word
    sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

I will go out on a limb here, disk scans are usefull in predicting if a disd will be playable or even readable in the future. Noone has ever show where disks improve with age, they all get worse. Disks that show problems early have been proven to show more problems later. Now it seems obvious that a good burn will last longer than a bad burn. That's not to say that there aren't other factors at play here.

saw off my limb if you can

Comment

• jm1647
        An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
        • Apr 2005

I'll stick one finger out here (I ain't gonna lose a whole limb ). I had a QS of 0 play fine when I was experimenting with a media and some fw mods. I don't know how long it woulda played but I trashed it and burned another one with a QS of ~96.
        I think one good use for the scans is to judge how different fw/media combos work out in your burner. Different hardware will give different results on the same DVD. I usually scan in the burner that did the burning.

If anybody is gonna chop of my finger, let me have a few brewskis first to ease the pain

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

I won't argue with anyone who has been around the block as many times as you jm, but then I won't totally negate the value of disk scans. Most any disk I have scanned that had issues would not read back into a computer without extra effort, be it a special drive or a tweak in how I read the data.

Comment

• jm1647
            An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
            • Apr 2005

@Chewy, no arguing here either and I didn't attempt to cut the limb you said you went out on Hope ya didn't taske it that way . Scans have their place of course, for performance assessment and is a handy tool for comparison. If your getting a constantly good QS and then a terible one, something ain't right.

I been around the block by being dragged around it a coupla times too, by being wrong.

Comment

• NightTran
              King of Digital Video
              King of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

i had disc that red all over but still play ( memorex it), but it will glit here and there I also have disc with 90+ quality scan and skip the H--- out of it in the machine ( MCC03 R-) to be exact.

All I can tell is good scan can't tell for sure if it is play good but bad scan is bad for sure that it will going down
              sigpic

Comment

• durkinjt
                Banned
                • Jun 2006

I will assume it is not accurate

Comment

• NightTran
                  King of Digital Video
                  King of Digital Video
                  • Aug 2005

unless you can show some prouf , which is the scan and how does it play, and how does it play few months from now, what burner you scan with...

How can you prove it what you say is what it is?
                  sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

If a disk plays in a given player, what does that tell us about playabilty in other players or the quality of the burn, there are too many variables for playabilty to yield any insight into burn quality. Was it a dash, plus or bitsett
                    dvd burn? Dvd technology and it's heavy reliance on error correction is just an accident waiting to happen. Since it's not practical to invest tens of thousands of dollars in a professional hardware scanner, our poor double duty
                    dvd burners will have to make do.
                    Here's a simple experiment to validate the accuracy of scanning, take a burn
                    that's in good shape and plays with no issues, scan it. You want at least a qs of 50 for this. Now put one greasy fingerprint at the end of the burn.
                    Play the dvd and see if it stalls/freezes at the end of the movie, now scan the disk and see if QS hit 0 at the end and even stops the scan.

Comment

• katzdvd
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Feb 2006

My experience has been that 0 QS scores on CMC/junk media has resulted in discs that freeze about 2/3 into the movie, or near the end of the disc; Since switching to TY/Verb media & getting high 90 QS, freezes/ unplayable discs are a thing of the past.

The scans may not be not rocket science, but it does give a very good snapshot of what is going on with the disc/burner.
                      Noone has ever show where disks improve with age, they all get worse. Disks that show problems early have been proven to show more problems later. Now it seems obvious that a good burn will last longer than a bad burn.
                      I agree totally.
                      I will assume it is not accurate
                      Nothing is 100% accurate - As they say, "The proof is in the pudding"

If you have a burner that is a good scanner as well, I say "Scan Away"!

regards, katz

Comment

• durkinjt
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2006

Night , What do you want me to prove?

Comment

• NightTran
                          King of Digital Video
                          King of Digital Video
                          • Aug 2005

you say that scan red all over and it still play good, you can post that scan but how can you prove that dvd will play left to right without any skip, glit....

it is very hard to prove
                          sigpic

Comment

• durkinjt
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2006

How would you suggest I prove it?

Comment

• BR7
                              He is coming to your little town!
                              • Aug 2005

@durkinjt
                              It's just not wise to keep a DVD thats all red.Yes they do play well at first but it wont take long for the DVD to start skipping,freezing or become unreadable when you need to replace it. Why would want to do all that back up process with the original all over again.I found myself replacing a lot my old burns because I thought a burner is just a burner and all blank media is the same.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

Working...