Trouble splitting mp4 with Yamb (mp4box)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • agarland
    • Dec 2006

Trouble splitting mp4 with Yamb (mp4box)

So I have this strange issue when I split mp4 files using yamb (mp4box). The file split seems to work ok. They playback in quicktime without any issues. But for some reason when I play the files back in Media Player, there is no audio. It seems like the splitting somehow corrupted or removed the audio info that Media Player uses. I have a plugin for Media Player to play mp4 files, which is how I can use it. The source mp4 files that I'm using play in Media Player just fine, but as soon as mp4box splits it, it no longer works. Any ideas?
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

welcome to the forum

download & install haali's media splitter and an aac decoder, such as coreAAC or in ffdshow

I have a plugin for Media Player to play mp4 files
    can you elaborate?
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• agarland
      • Dec 2006

?

Are you saying to use haali (with the coreaac audio codec) and not yamb? The mp4 plug-in that I have is a proprietary version that I got from my AV vendor, so I'm not sure of all the specs. Did you want to know something specific about it? I can collect some info...

Comment

• agarland
        • Dec 2006

I don't need to download the aac decoder for any system that would need to playback the files, do I? Or is that just for when I'm splitting the files? I need to know because I am working in a corporate production environment and would not very easily be able to deploy that codec to every machine..... just curious. I am the one responsible for splitting the original files and then publishing them for playback.

Comment

• agarland
          • Dec 2006

Here is the info for the Windows Media Player mp4 plug-in.

Version 0.09.0002
          LIVE.COM Streaming Media library
          GPAC ISO Media library
          XviD MPEG-4 video decoder
          FAAD2 MPEG-4 AAC decoder

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

my guess is the splitter can't handle the mp4 yamb outputs. for playback you need the correct video decoder, audio decoder and a splitter. quicktime has internal filters so will play them just fine.

either use a player such as VLC/mplayer (which will play them without installing anything), media player classic (which has an internal mp4 splitter and necessary audio decoders; which leaves the video decoder-- install ffdshow), or if you need windows media player to play them, do as mentioned in my first post and install haali's media splitter.
            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• celtic_druid
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Dec 2005

Can't be proprietary if it uses gpac, xvid and faad, since they are all GPL.

Comment

• agarland
                • Dec 2006

interesting...

I guess I'm not 100% sure what you mean. I am using yamb (mp4box) to do the actual splitting of the original mp4 files. Media Player plays the original files just fine, but after I split it, media player no longer plays the audio. What would the yamb splitter be doing to the file so that the audio is no longer supported by my existing media player setup? For that matter, why don't I see an error??

I thought that the splitter is simply splitting the file, but it appears that it is doing something beyond just splitting......

Also, I cannot install any additional players to the environment, must work with Media Player, and the mp4 plugin/codec that I described above.

I guess another question is, is there another mp4 splitter out there that I could use to split the mp4 files that would not modify the original files (aside from split them up)? I scoured the several sites and programs and none seemed to work for me (except yamb, which I didn't realize until recently caused a problem with the audio in media player).
                Last edited by agarland; 21 Dec 2006, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Working...