Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

absolutely best(quality) avi to dvd converter..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phatty033
    • Apr 2006

absolutely best(quality) avi to dvd converter..

what programs would you recommend to convert avi files to dvd with the best quality..i dont care about time..i dont care about price.......i used nero vision and i tried converting a high quality avi movie to dvd and I was very dissapointed..so i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions..

thanks
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

TMPGEnc Plus. high quality, reasonable price.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• phatty033
      • Apr 2006

okay so i downloaded the program and i've never been more confused..so i have an avi file that has a resolution of 720x400 so how do i convert that to keep it at the 16x9 aspect ratio for the tv..when i first click on the program the project thing goes up and under dvd there's ntsc & 7 ntsc(16:9)..which do i choose. then in the settings there's the source aspect ratio and under there there is a bunch of 4:3 settings which im guessin i don't need and then for 16:9 there is 16:9 display/16x9 525 line ntsc..ummmmm what do i choose.then under video arrange method it says full screen/full screen keep aspect ratio/etc........ ive tried to trial and error a bunch of combinations but it seems that all of them stretched my video vertically into a 4:3 picture..soo um HELP! PLEASE?!!

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

so i have an avi file that has a resolution of 720x400 so how do i convert that to keep it at the 16x9 aspect ratio for the tv..
        hopefully this guide will get you started
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• phatty033
          • Apr 2006

so i followed the guide and it says its going to be 25 hours to encode this movie which is 1 hour 10 min..i kno i said i don't care about time..but this is ridiculous...just one question under other settings under video..the motion search precisions thing i have it under "motion estimate search" and then there's high quality, highest quality, low quality, etc...if i have it under high quality the quality will be better..but take longer right?? also what exactly is "motion estimate search(fast)"..thats what the default is..okay once again thanks

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by phatty033
            so i followed the guide and it says its going to be 25 hours to encode this movie which is 1 hour 10 min..i kno i said i don't care about time..but this is ridiculous...just one question under other settings under video..the motion search precisions thing i have it under "motion estimate search" and then there's high quality, highest quality, low quality, etc...if i have it under high quality the quality will be better..but take longer right?? also what exactly is "motion estimate search(fast)"..thats what the default is..okay once again thanks
            it is ridiculous. the settings you are mentioning greatly affect the time. IMO motion search with this software is a waste of time though. i've done tests and with my eyes i couldn't see any difference whatsoever between any of these other than how long it takes. but first, what are your PC specs?

if i have it under high quality the quality will be better..but take longer right??
            correct. only under high motion scenes though. i always leave mine on "motion estimate search(fast)", i suggest you do the same unless time doesn't matter, then put the highest. TMPGEnc isn't a mickey mouse encoder like some of these 2 click tools out there, i spent a lot of time experimenting with different settings to see how things turn out. you should too when you get the hang of it.

BTW to preserve the most quality use the highest bitrate value (8000) dvd shrink can be used in the end if needed.

Motion search precision: Motion search precision adjusts how much the encoder searches for motion between different frames. This means it looks at a block in a frame and then looks at the next frame for the same (or similar, depending on other settings) block somewhere else in the picture. If a similarity is found, information on the direction and how much the mpeg block moved between the 2 frames is put into the mpeg stream, so that the block is used
            in a different place in frame 2. By doing this the same thing isn't encoded twice. This means that less bits are used when things are repeated. then bits can go to other things like encoding the block better in the 1st frame.

Setting the motion search precision to the highest quality (slowest) setting will make the encoder search really hard for repetition between frames. This makes the picture a lot better when things are moving.

If you encode a video with only small amounts of movement, you can sometimes get away with lower settings to save time, but even in low motion pictures, different parts of the image might be the
            same, so I always use the highest setting to give the best picture.

Professional DVD authoring hardware uses extremely sophisticated methods to search for motion, and that's what makes them so expensive, but so high quality. - mikk
            Last edited by LT. Columbo; 24 Jan 2007, 11:09 AM.
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• phatty033
              • Apr 2006

thanks for your quick reply..i went ahead and changed my bitrate value to 8000..hopefully it turns out ok.......again thanks..

Comment

• quickshare20
                • Jan 2007

Cucusoft AVI to VCD DVD MPEG CONVERTER PRO is good and easy

Comment

• NightTran
                  King of Digital Video
                  King of Digital Video
                  • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by quickshare20
                  Cucusoft AVI to VCD DVD MPEG CONVERTER PRO is good and easy
                  but not the best LT know
                  sigpic

Comment

• phatty033
                    • Apr 2006

ok so it finished encoding BUT there's no audio..my original file had dolby 5.1 audio..is there anyways i can just add this audio to my already encoded dvd so that i don't have to convert the whole thing again..because its going to take forever..

thanks for you help!

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by phatty033
                      ok so it finished encoding BUT there's no audio..my original file had dolby 5.1 audio..is there anyways i can just add this audio to my already encoded dvd so that i don't have to convert the whole thing again..because its going to take forever..

thanks for you help!
                      you should have made a wav file - did you? directshow raised?

you can just add the AC3 but check before burning that it is in sync. adding the AC3 in dvd author (seperate program) is covered in the guide.
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

• phatty033
                        • Apr 2006

wowwwwwww i am so frustrated..so after i did your audio thing..it worked BUT i burned it to a dvd and watched it on my 16:9 tv andd the video was not in the correct format..like there was those black bars and my original video aspect ratio was 720x400 16:9..can you tell me the settings to convert the original avi file to DVD so it will properly display on my 16:9 tv..thanksssss again

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

you must be patient. you are making good progress for using this software for the first time. shiite. i knew you wanted to maintain the widescreen aspect ratio but didn't know you had a widescreen tv. been a long time since i've done it because i only have 4:3 but on the first screen of the wizard select " NTSC 16:9"

on the advanced tab under "source aspect ratio" select 16:9 525 line (NTSC)"

under "video arrange method" try "no margin (keep aspect ratio)"

just experiment with these last two settings if it doesn't come out right. encode only a few seconds and hit abort and see how it turns out instead of waiting around. i don't have any widesceen vids at the moment to refresh my memory

but i did a full screen video that came out in 16:9 with these settings and looks good.
                          Columbo moments...

Comment

• Gillou
                            • Apr 2005

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by LT. Columbo

What about ConvertXtoDVD? How good is it compare to TMPGEnc Plus?
                            Last edited by Gillou; 25 Jan 2007, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                              Demigod of Digital Video
                              • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by Gillou
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by LT. Columbo

What about ConvertXtoDVD? How good is it compare to TMPGEnc Plus?
                              never used it.
                              Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎