X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Partition Health

When I built my main work box I had used a original raptor for the boot drive
    and a new seagate 250 sata for a data drive. The 35 gig raptor was partitioned into a 15 gig system and 20 gig data partitions. That 20 gig partition is my main temp work area, yesterday I was doing a long encode and kept getting a failure towards the end or when shrink went to open the files. I did the encode three times. There was always sufficent room for the operation. What tipped me off to the real problem was when I went to access a previous set of files that had worked fine and now wouldn't a few hours later. I then cleaned up a small partition on the 250 gig drive and transferred all my data to it, folder by folder, one at a time. With disk management I deleted the corrupted logical drive, made a new one and did a slow format. I then transfered more permanent data back to it in a particular order, stuff I will keep the longest was loaded first.

Well I then did the encode for a fourth time, this time it worked.

the first picture is the drive after the encode was written to it
    the second after it and another temp set of files are deleted

windows is not very good at keeping large video files in a contiguous area
    Attached Files
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

True, true and the defrag program in XP sucks......gotta run it a zillion times. I hate when it only moves 1 little.dll at a time after the first defrag and the drive is still fragmented

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎