X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

New Media Quality Thread

This thread should serve as a guide for newcomers and regulars alike to use to
    make a good decision on choosing blanks for everyday and archival(long term) use.

Here in the USA I have found the best media for the money to be Taiyo Yuden
    8x dvd-r(TYG02's), available from several online sources.

A close second would be the 16x dvd+r verbatims(mcc004), which offer the option of bitsetting to dvd-rom with the appropriate dvd burner. They are quite affordable locally from chain stores(like best buy, office max, etc) when on sale.

Third I would have to choose the sony disks, seem fairly consistent and a good B quality, here again I prefer the 16x dvd+r so I can bitsett.
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

Verbatim 8X + or - is hard to find but if you are SAM club member you can get them now 11$ / 50 before they are all out these verb are right behind TY 02 + or -
    sigpic

Comment

• Dan
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Dec 2005

For Canadian members the best media for the money is also Taiyo Yuden, and usually must be purchased from an online retailer.

Verbatim 1-16x media can be purchased from Staples, Future Shop, The Source, a few small retail outlets and online.

Sony media can be purchased at Future Shop, Staples, Best Buy, Walmart and
      several other retail outlets as well as online, and is a safe alternative for TY and Verbatim media.

Verbatim media is frequently on sale at Future Shop and Staples. Sony media can be found on sale occasionally at the above mentioned outlets, and at Walmart for a reasonable price.
      Last edited by Dan; 16 Feb 2007, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• soup
        Just Trying To Help
        • Nov 2005

Up north one of the best you can look for are Sony Dvd+R 50 Pack spindle 1X-8X Disc ID: YUDEN000-T02-00 Made In Japan. My TSSTcorp SH-162L TS06, HL-DT-ST GSA-H10N JL11 & external PX-716A 1.10 have the best burns with these @4X.
        Last edited by soup; 16 Feb 2007, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Dan
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Dec 2005

Although rare, the Sony 1-8x media will be Made In Japan, not Made In Taiwan, and is a "diamond in the rough" if found at any retail outlet. (usually Walmart).
          Last edited by Dan; 16 Feb 2007, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• jm1647
            An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
            • Apr 2005

Another diamond in the rough Moser Baer, made in India media. Staples 8X +R media MBIPG101 R04 MID and the first QS score of 98 burned @16X I got with my LiteOn. Your mileage may vary

Last edited by jm1647; 16 Feb 2007, 12:55 PM. Reason: added 8X, I forgot that Chewy :)

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by jm1647
              Another diamond in the rough Moser Baer, made in India media. Staples +R media MBIPG101 R04 MID and the first QS score of 98 burned @16X I got with my LiteOn. Your mileage may vary

http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...6&postcount=92
              what you are looking for here is 8X dvd+r(made in India)
              MBI seems to be a company(they manufacture for verbatim also) on the way up, quality wise.

Comment

• jm1647
                An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                • Apr 2005

Another Staples 8X media made in Taiwan, CMC Mag E01 burns good for me at 12X
                Attached Files

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by Dan
                  For Canadian members the best media for the money is also Taiyo Yuden, and usually must be purchased from an online retailer.
                  There are some people in Canada that have had a hard time finding Taiyo Yuden, where do you get them from ? Better Question what online store ships them to Canada?

Thanks

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• Dan
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Dec 2005

It seems none of the popular online stores in USA actually ship to Canada.

However, there are several Canadian online stores, they just are very well known.

I didn't list any in the previous link because I haven't purchased from them and didn't want it to be considered my personal recommendation.

Here are a few I know of, there are plenty more I'm sure. Don't forget about ebay also!

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

Don't forget about ebay also!
                      I want to caution everyone to beware of any company or individual claiming to be selling TY(TaiyoYuden) on the mid code alone, several companies produce cheaper cloned/fake blanks with the same mid code as genuine TY
                      but made in hong kong or china. Buyer beware, I got 200 from a company in Ohio.

Comment

• Dan
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Dec 2005

Good point Chewy! I should have clarified I was referring to certified ebay stores with an already established business. I have used ebay to buy and sell, don't take any chances, it is never worth it.

Comment

• BR7
                          He is coming to your little town!
                          • Aug 2005

I agree Thats why I always buy my Taiyo Yuden's at the supermediastore or meritline.Better to be safe then sorry

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• rosariorose9
                            Just trying to learn...
                            • Jan 2007

On the 'flip-side' let me warn all newbies (like myself!) to stay far away from the Ritek Ridata media. I bought a TON of the printable Ritek and it is completely unusable. Absolute CRAP. Scan results are posted on the older scan thread.

Norm

Comment

• smkymntgrl
                              Digital Video Technician
                              Digital Video Technician
                              • Feb 2005

Who's got some input on the best printable discs? Just got a disc printer and so far have just tried the Memorex someone got me for X'mas. Any other suggestions??

Smkymntgrl

Check for Firmware Updates HERE.
                              Read THIS to Find Out How to Find and Post Your Nero Log.
                              READ the Golden Rules of Burning.

Knowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens
                              - Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎