• Show
Clear All
  • geno888
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Dec 2005

Hi

I'm late as usual recently

In my personal experience Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are the better media available to reliably store data. Too bad, however, media available in Italian stores have really high prices (around €30 for a 25 discs cakebox), so the only way to find media at decent prices is to buy online from reputable stores.

Very good sources are svp, an UK site that sells discs also in other European countries, and CDFreaks store.

Recently, however, CDFreaks Store had some problems and delivered media with a large delay, and this made many users unpleased, but it have a lot of very good quality discs.

I'll post as soon as possible some more links for Italian websites in which it's possible to find verbatim discs. There are some that sells a 25 disc cakebox of Verbatim media around €9.90

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

thanks geno,
      we don't realize how spoiled we are here in America, I know ricoh used to sell good disks in europe, evidently their association with ritek has been a bad thing?

Comment

• soup
        Just Trying To Help
        • Nov 2005

Better late than never.

Comment

• geno888
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Dec 2005

Thanks Soup

Recently Ricoh discs are difficult to find in Europe. The main issue specific of Italy, however, is that prices are really high, and only on online stores can be found good quality media at reasonable prices.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

those made in India verbatims(MBI) seem very good

Comment

• jm1647
              An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
              • Apr 2005

Seems since the CMC and MBI media quality has picked up they are making them for Verbatim or because they are making them for Verbatiim the quality has picked up.

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

It sure didn't rub off on prodisc(another verbatim manufacturer) when I tried some fuji 16x dvd+r's

worst burns I have done in some time

I should have used this page to look at comments before getting the disks

odds were good that they would be this mid code

and even tho the comments were mostly favorable you can see that a few particular people were not satisfied
                Last edited by Chewy; 18 Feb 2007, 03:36 AM.

Comment

• rosariorose9
                  Just trying to learn...
                  • Jan 2007

Originally Posted by smkymntgrl
                  Who's got some input on the best printable discs? Just got a disc printer and so far have just tried the Memorex someone got me for X'mas. Any other suggestions??

I just ordered some Taiyo Yuden printables from supermediastore. I'll report back with scans as soon as it arrives...

Norm

Comment

• smkymntgrl
                    Digital Video Technician
                    Digital Video Technician
                    • Feb 2005

Originally Posted by rosariorose9
                    I just ordered some Taiyo Yuden printables from supermediastore. I'll report back with scans as soon as it arrives...

Norm
                    Was it a good price on those? There doesen't seem to be alot of choices of brands of printables in the stores around here.

Smkymntgrl

Check for Firmware Updates HERE.
                    Read THIS to Find Out How to Find and Post Your Nero Log.
                    READ the Golden Rules of Burning.

Knowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens
                    - Jimi Hendrix

Comment

• rosariorose9
                      Just trying to learn...
                      • Jan 2007

Originally Posted by smkymntgrl
                      Was it a good price on those? There doesen't seem to be alot of choices of brands of printables in the stores around here.

Haven't been shopping them long enough to say what a good price would be, but I paid $.46 a disc...

Norm

Comment

• lfcrule1972
                        Liverpool 'til I die......
                        • Nov 2003

Hi Chewy,

Well I agree with your recommendations of TYG02 media (also TYG03 but don't burn at 16x for best results) and Verbatim MCC media.

I hope you don't mind but for those interested there is a Drives/Media section to the ImgBurn forum found at:

What's Hot and what's Not!We waste money so you don't have to!

Thanks to www.svp.co.uk we have been able to test burn and quality scan most of the commonly available media ID's around today. All are or were stocked by SVP and hopefully the scans will show the difference between the A++ grade media and the not so good stuff.

As for SVP I can't recommend them highly enough, huge range of discs, best prices (will often price match as well), plenty of special offers if you sign up to their newsletter and above all fantastic customer service ! I have recommended them to loads of friends who now feel the same way. I also believe they ship to Europe as well.

Regards

lfcrule1972
                        "There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing......"

"I Love those moments - I like to wave at them as they pass by...."

ImgBurn Support Forum

Stop !! Before you post read this !

cynthia is Queen of the smilies !

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

thanks for the post LFC, the media selection at svp and the tests at the imgburn forum may be a little daunting to the beginner but well worth the time.

AFAIK svp doesn't carry or market the fake TY mids, as do some other european sources.

The branding of TY media in europe is pretty confusing

Comment

• lfcrule1972
                            Liverpool 'til I die......
                            • Nov 2003

You're right Chewy, as far as I know SVP only sell the legitimate TY's so that should make it a bit easier for everyone. They are a very open and fair company in my experience.

I realise the tests over at ImgBurn look a little daunting but for beginners I would look at the Quality % scores in the screen prints as your first indication of quality in the scans and then the actual graphs themselves. Whilst being a Liverpool fan means I love the colour red it's not so good in the graphs where you are looking for lovely green colours ! Still I am sure you know more than me about the scans so should be able to help out with any queries posted here on the graph results.

Just remembered - Corny did a beginners guide to the Scans and graphs here:

quite a lot people ask what do these scans mean so heres a meagre attempt at an explanation PI Errors should be as low as possible- the best burns are shown with a scale of 0-10 PI Failures should also be as low and as few as possible, many PIF errors will result in a low quality rating Jitter ha...

Regards
                            "There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing......"

"I Love those moments - I like to wave at them as they pass by...."

ImgBurn Support Forum

Stop !! Before you post read this !

cynthia is Queen of the smilies !

Comment

• katzdvd
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Feb 2006

smkymntgrl - I use both CDR & DVDR printable TY's. Ususally purchase from supermediastore; around the holidays they had some good specials running, & of course free shipping! I have used both the white & shiny printable, & I get basically the same scan quality as my non-print TY's.

Disc ID: YUDEN000-T02-00
                              Book Type: DVD+R on the white printables. I paid .48/per disc (100 spindle) in Dec. 06.

regards, katz

Comment

• durkinjt
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2006

Meritline

Originally Posted by photo_angel2004
                                There are some people in Canada that have had a hard time finding Taiyo Yuden, where do you get them from ? Better Question what online store ships them to Canada?

Thanks
                                I believe Meritline mails to Canada.I just recieved a 100 pack ot TY02's for $28.90mailing included.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎