• Show
Clear All
  • Art Vandelay
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Feb 2006

Firmware

@Chewy

I just burnt my first Verbatim DL DVD with Soups guide. I noticed in the ImgBurn window that my drive only suports 2.4X speed. The box of disks says up to 8X speed. My system is 6 months old, HP media Center PC. The drive information is below:

TSSTCorp CD/DVDW TS-H652L the firmware is 0603 Samsung

I went to the HP site and there is a update but it is for Quebec Canada French keyboards so I haven't downloaded it since my sytem is English with a english keyboard. Do you know of an update for my drive, I tried using ImgBurn to look for a update but it looks like the page isn't working. I think my drive should do better than 2.4X with this media.

Thanks,

AV
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

there are known issues with that drive and it's firmware

0803 should be available and even that's probably not right yet

call HP and request the link

never ever buy a rebranded dvd burner

Comment

• Art Vandelay
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Feb 2006

??

not sure what you mean Chewy. The drive came in my system when I bought it. It has worked fine and I can burn Sony/Maxell/Verbatim any DVD5 disks at 2X 4X 6X 8X 12X 16X without any problems. I just noticed this with the Verbatim DL only showing 2.4X

What do you mean by rebranding? Samsung drive in a HP machine or is the drive really not a Samsung drive?

You say to contact HP for the firmware. What about going to the Samsung web site to see if they have an update or would the drive ID not be there since rebranding?

AV

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

when you search that drive you find out the samsung and HP gave it a special name and firmware, that's what rebrand oem's are. samsung firmware does not work, hence the different families

there was a leadin problem with burning dvd-r's that was corrected with later firmware on the samsung branded drives, HP is in charge of releasing new firmware

your drive doesn't exist according to samsung
        but it's really a SH-S162L

Comment

• Art Vandelay
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Feb 2006

So Chewy you would say to not use the Samsung firmware from the link. Ony deal with HP's version for this drive.

Funny you mention problems with DVD-R They are what I use 90% of the time and the only ones to fail were some Verbatims that were marked on the outer edge from sitting in the cake tower.

Thanks for the advise.

AV

Comment

• JakeBlues
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Dec 2006

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
            .. It has worked fine and I can burn Sony/Maxell/Verbatim any DVD5 disks at 2X 4X 6X 8X 12X 16X without any problems. I just noticed this with the Verbatim DL only showing 2.4X
            AV
            Dude.. Maxell's are taking a downward spiral... Stick with the Sony (for now, they do cut cornors from time to time but after 50 burns with em +R and zero coasters,great results) and the Verbatim's
            Memorex, TDK and Maxell's are not what they once were. Safe em for friends and family, heh.
            One of Chewy's specialties is firmwares... he's many a person me included..take notes
            Peace
            Last edited by JakeBlues; 26 Feb 2007, 06:07 AM. Reason: info
            ElwoodsBrotherJake "...I'm on a mission from God, to help me and others from making coasters!

Comment

• Art Vandelay
              Digital Video Technician
              Digital Video Technician
              • Feb 2006

Updated

@Chewy,

went to HP site and got firmware 803 which was the only one there, nothing newer. I hoped the jump from 603 to 803 would have helped with DL burning. I haven't burnt another DL disk since the first one with the old 603 firmware. I put a blank DL in the drive and opened ImgBurn and it was showing 2.4X still. My drive says it will burn +DL DVD's up to 8X. Do you think it may burn at that or 4X eventhough the window in ImgBurn showed 2.4X. I have no desire to burn at 8X but 4X would be nice.

Thanks for the help.

AV

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

Well the media only claims 2.4 up to 8X with the right drive and firmware.

even the newer 182 drive only burns that mid at 2.4x

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎