X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dhdoyle
    • Sep 2006

Which of my drives has gone bad?

Hi folks!

I have a notebook with a Samsung SN-324F CD-RW,DVD/R combo. I also have an external Sony DRU0810A DVD/RW connected via firewire. I've just noticed that I can no longer read DVDs burned with the Sony on my internal drive. I went back into my disks, and it looks like something happened between October and now. Here are the details:

I'm using HP DVD -R DVDs

DVD movies backed up on my external Sony are playable on DVD players, but not in my internal drive. The Disks aren't recognized by windows. Properties shows 0 bits available, 0 bit disk size. Explorer keeps asking me to insert a disk in drive D.

I can still read older backups and factory DVDs on my internal drive. I can also read CDs OK.

I can almost read data DVDs burned on the external Sony on my internal drive. I can get the directory structure, but the disk spins forever when I try to open a file.

The Sony reads its own disks just fine.

This isn't a good situation for me because I carry backup data files on DVDs when I travel in case I run into trouble. I also like to toss a couple movies (backed up copies) in my bag to watch if I want. I don't travel with my external firewire drives.

My noob sense tells me one of the heads is mis-aligned. I clean the heads pretty regularly. Any ideas how I can tell which drive has gone south? Might changing media help?

As luck would have it, I still have 64 days on my extended waranty on my notebook, but I need to make sure which drive is the problem.

Thanks!
    Dave
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

the drive is only part of the problem, hp dvd-r's are probably some of the worst blanks you can buy

your sony might be able to confirm this by using cdspeed to do a quality scan, see the sticky at the top of the forum

Comment

• dhdoyle
      • Sep 2006

Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen the reviews of HP blanks. I ran DVD Speed on a few disks after I bought my external drive and I got high 90s in the quality score. I rarely get a bad burn with them, so I figured "good nuff".

I guess I should be more vigilant and check every sleeve. I got 77% on a data disk I burned tonight...

Looks like I need to buy some Verbatims and try again. I guess I'll follow up if that doesn't solve my reading problem.

Cheers!
      Dave

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

I had some decent HP's a year ago, my last ones were a lot worse

your notebook drive is probably going out also, best to baby it

Comment

Working...