Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jake Wants a New Computer or to build one!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeBlues
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Dec 2006

Jake Wants a New Computer or to build one!

Guys...
    As chewy points out THIS Dell Dimension 4100 has kind of out grown it's usefullness for burning and will shortly be retired as such and can just be a good old internet surfing/emaling machine for my wife.

The Dvd Player is shot to the point the firmware is no longer upgradeable.. the burner I foolishly bought like in November (NEW) because that DVD Cloner program I thought I wanted at the time reccomended it...(duh on me)

..So I am asking for your help in building a new one! I know some of the things I want, but the things I want and the reasons may not apply now a days. I really want a DVD burning and Gaming Machine. I miss being able to play the latest games. And I hate the hit and miss burning results because the machine is tired.

Chewy recently showed me a link for a burner but I didn't have the money a few weeks back...
    I am a person that does NOT Need the TOP END have all and be all, I am a "good enough" type person.
    The Samsung burner he showed me at the time was may not be the best of it's class, but for someone like me it's "good enough" to get the job done that I want it to do...

All I ask it has a little room for future upgrades and do the task for what money I put into it.
    Bigger's not always better!
    I just got my Tax back and have a little to play with after having to install a $300 muffler system on my jeep because the old one is shot and sounds like hell.

I do not NEED a top of the line state of the art duel processor..etc etc etc (unless the price is like too good to be true) I'm a new dad so money is a little tight after the hospital stay.. but I can budget the right equiptment with a little help from my friends.

So if you SEE great deals on the internet here REMEMBER ME.. Link me and I'm there dude, but I'm the asking questions type.... ohh I live here in the US. Closer to home the better and Free shipping is always a plus (laughs)

Thank You guys..
    Last edited by JakeBlues; 9 Mar 2007, 05:55 PM.
    ElwoodsBrotherJake "...I'm on a mission from God, to help me and others from making coasters!
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Hi Jake,

Check out this thread for some recent info. on building one.
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=77785

I am getting ready to put one together using most of the components chewy recommended. For what I am looking at in the thread, I think I am at somewhere around $300-$350. Some of the parts are on rebates & free/cheap shipping, (at least they were when I added them to my newegg wishlist, I haven't checked in the last week or so.) & I already have a vid. card, so that amount isn't included.

I also went for a large capacity case that cost around $60, I think, but did include several 120mm fans, easy access side panel.

Good Luck!

Regards, katz

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

For a decent big case, no fans included for free after a $40.00 rebate with free shippping. Ultra has been real good for their rebates. I got rebates for the PSUs with no problem and I got one of these cases so far this week.

Comment

• JakeBlues
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Dec 2006

If you have the Items you purchased via newegg please let link me to so I can see what you've purchased so I can start getting ideas!
        Thank you!
        ElwoodsBrotherJake "...I'm on a mission from God, to help me and others from making coasters!

Comment

• JakeBlues
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Dec 2006

FREE CASE AFTER REBATES?? ARE YOU JOKING?
          WOW!!!
          Thanks!

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

jake go thru katz's link and do a little research, this is a big step from buying prebuilt/preloaded computers

it's not really cost effiecient, just have the advantage of being able to upgrade better and load your own programs and know what you are getting.

with a dell you might get good memory, most likely not, might get faster hard drive, most likely not

Comment

• JakeBlues
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Dec 2006

Well I can BUILD a computer.. I have built a few In my time.
              Believe it or not building for me is simple... programming, software, surfing (example: leaning to post, shrink files etc)
              The ones I've built were sold pretty fast and it was easy for me to load windows.. after that step pthhtp! I use to get around the bias pretty good but it's been a while. The kid that works next to me works for a computer store (small, indy) and he can build, program and help me with anything I fall short with. Have faith in me.. a few things I can do some I can't and I can get a better machine for the money and not stuck with a BS mo-bo from dell.
              thank ya man

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

you sound good to go then, just don't scrimp on a power supply or good memory

Comment

• katzdvd
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Feb 2006

Jake,

Here is what I will most likely go with. The CPU is overclockable so I figure I may play with that a bit.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16811208022 Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103037 Processer

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813131069 Mainboard

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817153023 Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820148007 Memory

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16835106068 CPU Cooler

Somewhere in the $300 - $400 range; I haven't totaled it exact yet, since there is rebates involved, etc.

BTW, I never buy "Box Store" or "Branded" pc's, but that is just my pers. preference. In my experiences with friends/family who have owned all the big names, they have been very limited in what can be done with their pc's.

If a part fails, upgrading can be a pain, weird BIOS settings, & maybe worst of all, mediocre components. (DVD burners w/ no firmware updates, for example) Since the "brand name" is building on a "budget", they are going to cut corners everywhere possible.

I say, build your own, you will be very happy with it!
                  cheers, katz

Comment

• JakeBlues
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    • Dec 2006

Chewy...
                    I read in PC gamer recently (at a doctor's office no less) that having a powerful enough power supply is needed to run multi power draining hardware correctly. Example MOST computer esp the older ones had 300-350 watt supplies. If you only have on hard drive.. a floppy and a cd rom this was more than enough. BUT if you have MANY things connect .. ie, a few cooling fans, 2 hard drives, 2 burners, a floppy, a universal card reader, HUGE video cards (esp duel SLIs) maybe a lan or other devices.. these thing draw a LOT of power and for them to run effectively they need to be feed enough power all at once to keep a smooth and running machine happy. So min I think is 500 watt or better to "keep the children fed".
                    You said memory.. ok this I want to know more.
                    I think you are referring to MAKE SURE I HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH FOR RUNNING THE OS and THEN RUNNING ALL THE PROGRAMS esp multi-tasking?!!
                    Correct?
                    Thanks dude.........

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

I have 2 of Katz's PS's and my son got my new third one. Even tho it's rated at 430 and only 18A on the 12 volt rail it's running his 130$ vid card, 2 hard drives, 2 optical drives and several fans without a problem and he's overclocking a fair amount.

Add a better video card and forget it, you would need to go up to the 60$ range of PS. If you want true quality and lot's of power to spare expect to spend 80-100$ or more on a power supply.

over at cd freaks a lot of the reviewers using 6-10 dvd burners at a time favor these models

don't be fooled by thinking there is any truth in claimed wattage. It's mostly a irrelevant figure.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                        Queen of Digital Video
                        Queen of Digital Video
                        • Jan 2004

OMG prices have really come down a lot since I had this pc built.

Looks like I may be thinking of having another one built again soon.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• UncasMS
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2001

So min I think is 500 watt or better to "keep the children fed"
                          not necessarily

you will need enough power if you want stability but pure numbers on a psu dont mean much

a decent 350w psu can be way better than a 500w no-name one

i am using a 353w enermax in one of my machines for years now and it definitely has its workload:
                          - oc'ed athlon64 3000+
                          - asus a8n sli board (939)
                          - nvidia 7900 vga
                          - 1 gb ram
                          - 3 sata + 1 ata drive
                          - 4550 nec burner
                          - additional fans: 2x 120 + 1x 80
                          - psu enermax 365P-VE (353w)

machine used for gaming and video conversion primarily

now i built a new rig with these components:

- athlon64 x2 4200
                          - msi k9n ultra (AM2)
                          - nvidia 7900
                          - 2gb ram
                          - 3 sata drives
                          - 4550 nec
                          - 2x 80 fans
                          - psu enermax noisetaker II EG495AX-VE (485w)

Comment

• JakeBlues
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            • Dec 2006

Have you had any dealings with these people?
                            Also when I read the specs.. how do I tell if a burner will bitset?

Comment

• soup
                              Just Trying To Help
                              • Nov 2005

You could try plugging it in here.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡