Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spartikus
    • Aug 2005

Attaching Tape Deck/Record Player to Computer

hey guys does anyone know is there a way to attach a tape deck to my computer so i can take old tapes i have with songs and put them on my hard drive or convert them to mp3? i am sure there is a way to do this i just don't know how any help?
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

Connect the AUDIO OUT of your tape deck to AUDIO IN or MIC of the PC sound card using a stereo jack.Now play your tape and record it to your PC using Audacity(freeware) or Goldwave(shareware) or Nero Wave Editor.Then convert them to mp3 with any program that you choose to use.
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• spartikus
      • Aug 2005

audio out of tape deck is usually rca isn't it? so do i need a cable that has rca on one end and a 3.5 mm jack on the other to go into the computer?

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

Does your deck have a line out for headphones? If it has then that will do.Otherwise you will have to find the jack you mentioned yourself.
        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

for stereo, you'll need a small adapter, mini stereo plug to rca plugs

walmart or radio shack carry them

just tell the clerk what you are trying to do

Comment

• katzdvd
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Feb 2006

audio out of tape deck is usually rca isn't it? so do i need a cable that has rca on one end and a 3.5 mm jack on the other to go into the computer?
            You will need to "Y" the RCA jacks together into one 1/8" stereo phono input. As the other fellows mentioned, RS or Walmart should have the necessary adapter/cable.

And, after you get all the audio onto your pc, & have it all converted to mp3, make sure to try out a handy little freeware called mp3gain; It will level out all the tracks to a relative volume, slick as a whip!

MP3Gain - A free automatic mp3 volume normalizer

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

had a 10 footer, till my son decided to hook up his mega watt stereo so he could play UT and rattle the walls

Comment

Working...