Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • myheadhurts
    • Apr 2007

Quality issue with quicktime

A colleague and I are having issues converting AVI files to uncompressed MOV files using quicktime pro. Whenever we do the conversion the output video looks awful. We have gone through all of the settings on at least three seperate PC's and all are experiencing the same problem. Has anybody out there seen this and is there a solution?

We are converting AVI files to

Quicktime Movie Files
    DV/DVCPRO NTSC Video
    Changed the slider to "Best" for quality
    Output video size is Compressor Native or 720x480 NTSC (tried both)

I'm not sure what else to do but the output looks very low quality with these settings. I also tried to export from Adobe Premiere Pro directly to MOV with the same results. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

why did you chose a dvd resolution of 720x480 which should be higher than the average AVi resolution and what is the inpout source and resolution?

Comment

• myheadhurts
      • Apr 2007

Same resolution

The input AVI was created in Premiere Pro and is the NTSC High Quality AVI. It is also 720x480 resolution.
      The problem as far as I can tell is the output of .MOV files from Quicktime. Quicktime Pros other export options seem to be fine (with the exception of DV Stream which is also bad) but I cannot export a full res .MOV file. We have a client that has requested an uncompressed .MOV file for commercial delivery. I don't have alot of experience with Quicktime but have created streaming media files with little or no problems. This is the first time I have tried to export an uncompressed file and so far none of us here have had any luck.

Comment

• myheadhurts
        • Apr 2007

Anybody else?

Has anybody else actually come accross this problem?

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

try WINFF

it is a windows frontend for ffmpeg and ffmpeg itself is a very powerful collection of tools for converting, recording or streaming multimedia files

if have checked winff minutes ago and it did a very good job converting a test-avi i tried

give it a go

Comment

• myheadhurts
            • Apr 2007

settings

Are you inputting all of the settings for your export or does it determine automaticaly? I just tried to convert an avi to quicktime movie and it won't playback video, only audio.

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

i defined only the video bitrate and framerate

maybe you should download and install FFDSHOW
              Last edited by UncasMS; 21 Apr 2007, 06:05 AM.

Comment

• myheadhurts
                • Apr 2007

What is FFDSHOW? I'm hesitant to keep installing new software on my editor without knowing what it is I am installing. Is this another conversion program?

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

Comment

• myheadhurts
                    • Apr 2007

OK, I have installed the software and it makes no sense to me. I don't see where I select the file to convert or how I get the uncompressed .MOV file I need. My original question remains unanswered, is there a problem with quicktimes software that is preventing me from doing this conversion and are others experienceing this same thing? I have yet to find a post about this problem on a number of forums. I have tried this with Quicktime Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro and My colleague has tried this in Quicktime Pro and After Effects and yet another friend did the conversion using a mac with quicktime pro. The avi files looks good on all of these machines when viewed but the converted files all have the same results of a decreased image quality. I don't have issues trying different software but I have purchased these various suites and it seems to me they should work.

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

since you purchased qt and premiere what have apple and adobe said concerning this isue?

and how do you define "decreased image quality"

what are we talking about in your case??

what codec did you use? mov is nothing but a container

Comment

• myheadhurts
                        • Apr 2007

haven't received a response back from either yet and found nothing on their forums or on a google search. I'm using the DV/DVCPRO-NTSC compression at best quality. and have gone through all of the settings that I know to adjust.

Comment

• myheadhurts
                          • Apr 2007

BTW, decreased image quality - imge is choppy and fonts virtually unreadable in teh video. It looks like a very low res (worse than youtube) compressed video.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎