Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ragingfear
    • Apr 2007

Building a P.C

I've been to sites like pcmech.com and buildyourown.org they teach how to build computers. I've read everything and I want to know if it's that easy to build a computer.
    So I could just go off and build one myself.
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Easy? Hmmm...sure!

The nice thing about assembling your own is you know exactly what is in there, & you get to chose the components best suited to your needs & budget, getting more bang for your $$$, than you would if you purchase a "store brand". I believe they are easier now than in the past, esp. with "soft menu" & auto BIOS settings, OS is simpler? to install.

Read up on the assembly process, & if you have any questions along the way, there are a great bunch of guys on here that can give you guidance when/if needed.

Comment

• ragingfear
      • Apr 2007

Thanks

Comment

• Mister MF
        • May 2007

Building your Own PC

It's true it is easy to build your own PC...but there are some proceedures you have to fallow in order to ensure you get it working properly but apart from that i always suggest to go Custom, like the previous member stated you know exactly what you get in it,
        Best bang for the buck, that's for sure

build my own about 4 years ago

2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
        ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4S8X
        about 2GB of DDR RAM
        NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X

still working really good

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

I researched my last build 18 months ago for a couple of weeks finding the right combination of motherboard and cpu to get the best bang for the buck,
          bought a refurb mobo for 48$ that had gone for 150$ 6 months earlier.

It took a couple of weeks and a couple of loads before I got it happy at 40%
          overclock and a 1400Mghz hypertransport, ended up testing 3 sets of ram before I was happy.

Running it now at stock ht and ram and cpu at 250fsb

Read, read, and then read some more, it's a steep damn mountain, and have a backup plan, some good beer and a buddy who's done it before.

Comment

• katzdvd
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Feb 2006

bought a refurb mobo for 48$ that had gone for 150$ 6 months earlier
            I have seen you mention that before - & you are not afraid of using refurb parts? I may have to re-think my purchases in the future...

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

not enough savings

about 40$ still not worth it

have to watch for the deals

Comment

Working...