• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BR7
    He is coming to your little town!
    • Aug 2005

Chips on DVDs could prevent theft

Technology may also be used to protect electronic devices

New technology designed to thwart DVD theft makes discs unplayable until they're activated at the cash register.A chip smaller than the head of a pin is placed onto a DVD along with a thin coating that blocks a DVD player from reading critical information on the disc. At the register, the chip is activated and sends an electrical pulse through the coating, turning it clear and making the disc playable.
    The radio frequency identification chip is made by NXP Semiconductors, based in the Netherlands, and the Radio Frequency Activation technology comes from Kestrel Wireless Inc., based in Emeryville.

The two companies are talking to Hollywood studios and expect to announce deals this summer, Kestrel Wireless Chief Executive Paul Atkinson said.The companies said their technology also can be used to protect electric shavers, ink jet cartridges, flash memory drives and even flat-screen TV sets by preventing some critical element from functioning unless activated.
    Retail theft of entertainment products, including video games, accounts for as much as $400 million in annual losses, according to the Entertainment Merchants Association.
    Many retailers now keep consumer-entertainment products behind glass cases, but that can inhibit browsing. With technology that renders stolen products useless, retailers could display items openly, thus encouraging more sales, said Mark Fisher, vice president for strategic initiatives at the EMA.
    "It will also get product into a lot more outlets that are afraid of theft, including grocers," Fisher said. Link to story

My Blu-ray Collection
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I'm sure those tiny chips will try to take over our DVD players some day?
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Derree
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Jul 2005

I think its a great idea..when I worked in retail we would find dvd and cd cases but no disc because the shoplifters were smart enough to know the security device was attached inside the case..no case no security device...
      sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
      good
      -------------------------------------------

Comment

• katzdvd
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Feb 2006

I don't know...the whole RFID thing...I was never enthused about the direction that this technology was going in.

Remember, these things start out slowly & gain momentum;

I think chipping humans/babies may be going too far...

Comment

• doctorhardware
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2006

Think again Katz it is being done already in CA. The prisoners are being chipped. Dogs are already being done with GPS capability.
          Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• katzdvd
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Feb 2006

Yeah, I know it is being done all over, but I still don't like it...

Comment

• uufta
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Dec 2005

Electrical pulse generators will be on sale a week after the release of those DVD's

Comment

• NightTran
                King of Digital Video
                King of Digital Video
                • Aug 2005

how much is the chip would cost by itself? I would hate if they put in bluray disk how much would it be then ?
                sigpic

Comment

• petsbug
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Jan 2005

Can they guarantee though that coating will last and stays clear throughout the dvd's life? Suppose it became opaque again after 2 months? Will you go back to the register scanner? Would it be scratch free like the one in my reading glasses? Well, nothing is infallible in the face of the earth. As UUFTA said soon as its out of the production line a counter measure was also out from the production line. Then the process starts all over again.
                  -----------------------------------------
                  DT: Burners: BenQ DVD CD DW1670 and 2 Philips DVD+- RW DVD 8701
                  LT: Vista Premuim, HP Pavillion 9288ea

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎