X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Blu-ray versus HD DVD

Entertainment giants are battling for domination of the next generation of DVDs but an outright win is an unlikely outcome, reports Kate Bulkley.

Entertainment giants are battling for domination of the next generation of DVDs but an outright win is an unlikely outcome, reports Kate Bulkley.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • photo_angel2004
    Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video
    • Jan 2004

@admin that was entertaining to say the least. Thanks for that.

I personally think that HD discs and Blu-ray are a 100% waste of time and money!

I dont see any benifit for either of them over a DVD. Even with all the high end hard ware that the mojority of the poplulation will never be able to afford the quality is not that much different from a DVD.

Now to compair a DVD to VHS - OMG there is a HUGE difference one worth paying a little extra for.

The one thing that angers me though is through the years the costs of CD's and DVD's (media) have come down in price although the store bought music CD's and DVD movies are the same price as they were when they first came out! Why is this one may ask? Why when the technology has come down in price the CD's and DVD's have not! HMMMMMMMMMMMM could it be due to all the gazillions of $$$ they keep throwing into the insane things like blu-ray or HD Discs? that ONLY the wealthy can afford which is only a small % of the over all population. If they really want to make money they should stop trying to out do what they have mastered and lower the prices of the Music Cd's and the movie DVD's then sales would go up and they would make $$$ in volume! But are they smart enough to figure that out?

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• youthinksoo
      • Oct 2005

I know most of you HATE upconverting DVD players, however I just purchased one for my Pioneer plasma. Let me just say the quality was absolutely stunning! I cannot notice a difference between the HD Movies On Demand to the DVD movies played through this player!

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by youthinksoo
        I know most of you HATE upconverting DVD players, however I just purchased one for my Pioneer plasma. Let me just say the quality was absolutely stunning! I cannot notice a difference between the HD Movies On Demand to the DVD movies played through this player!
        I love my upscaling DVD player. With HD displays, even if you use a standard DVD player, you are still upcoverting to HD resolution, only it's done by your TV's internal scaler. If you have a good upconversion DVD player that has a better scaler than your TV, then the difference is light and day.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Of course, a high def DVD player playing back a high def DVD will always look better, and upscaling DVD will never look as good (although whether or not you can tell the difference depends on your HT setup, as well as your eyesight ).

Comment

• youthinksoo
            • Oct 2005

yeah, I never said it was better. I just think it is somewhat comparable. I could die with the DVD format.

Comment

Working...