Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • relicmarks
    • Mar 2007

up conversion,down conversion,cross conversion

How do you record or strip a control track? is there a control track generator?

control track is a analog sync clock/pulse right?

what input on the VTR does it go into please?

How do you record or strip time codes Non-drop or Drop frame or SMPTE?
    (don't i just use a time code generator processor and record the time code channel/track?

How do you "encode" a blank tape to be 1080i or 1080p or 720p or PAL?

what processor do i use to encode please?

what input do i use on the VTR to record/strip the encoding data?

When testing blanking,sync pulse,color burst signals on the waveform monitor

what should the voltage be or IRE?

What do u know about blanking,sync pulse,color burst signals?

What processor does up conversion,down conversion,cross conversion?

or how do you do up conversion,down conversion,cross conversion?

What kind of standard conversions does a tape operator/dubber need to know please?

<!-- toctype = X-unknown --><!-- toctype = text --><!-- text -->
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

Some good info here:

Talk about general digital video topics not part of the categories/forums below

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• relicmarks
      • Mar 2007

yes but what processors names/brands do the standard converts??

Comment

• RFBurns
        To Infinity And Byond
        • May 2006

Originally Posted by relicmarks
        yes but what processors names/brands do the standard converts??
        Basically what your looking for is a device that can accept all of the video formats and re-build them to another standard. Such devices are not cheap, the really good ones that is. There are other ways to convert the standards in a pc using software.

As to what a tape operator would need to know would be the functions and features of the tape machine itself along with any supporting equipment. Each is different, but not difficult to learn. It is not necessary to know every detail of how this machine or that machine converts the standards, but what is important to learn are the machine/s capabilities. Once you know the capabilities of the machine being used, 99.9 percent of the learning curve is completed.

As I mentioned in another post, there really is a ton of information out on the net that can answer alot of your questions in greater detail. If you really want to get into the nit-grit of it all, I suggest buying a copy of the broadcast engineer's handbook available from the FCC, for about 400 bucks or so! But I think in your case the best route to take is to do just search on some search engine using key words like video specifications or video standards conversions.

Keep in mind tho, that analog television is almost a thing of the past. In about 2 yrs the big switch of analog will shut off forever and digital takes over. Digital video transmission is a whole different puppy all together.

Currently there are 18 different formats approved by the FCC for digital television. Why we need 18 different formats is a question best directed to the Grand Alliance who developed the standard for HD transmission as well as ask the FCC.

Although we are close to the final transition to HD in the states, when that final analog day comes, I dread it. Why? Well as an engineer I am going to take my phone off the hook so I wont have to answer the big question of "why cant my tv pick up any tv stations?"!!!

There will be a small converter box available to the public that have not yet replaced their old analog tv with a digital ATSC capable television. The converter box will allow an analog tv to recieve the digital signals. But you wont see HD, you will either see consistant letter box format and standard definition or regular 4:3 frame at standard resolution. Im not sure what the cost will be for this "black box" but I would not be surprised that it range in the 200 to 400 US dollar braket. By the time HDTV is full time, most HD television sets will be within most people's budget ranges anyway, as we currently see HDTV sets are falling in prices steadily.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• relicmarks
          • Mar 2007

broadcast engineer's handbook available from the FCC

What does this book explain ? how to test analog TV signals?
          and use the waveform monitor and vectorscopes?

Comment

• RFBurns
            To Infinity And Byond
            • May 2006

Not only does it explain how to examine and correct problems in video signals it also explains how to properly install and spec out video gear and what you should have as a result. It also goes into great extent of measuring transmission specifications and making corrections. About 70 percent of the handbook covers signal standards and how to achive them. The rest of the book covers the rules and regulations pretaining to broadcast standards.

It does indeed show you what the waveforms should look like and their specifications.

If you need to learn the operation of a given waveform monitor or vectorscope, that is best found in the operation manual of those devices.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• RFBurns
              To Infinity And Byond
              • May 2006

Another source for the engineering handbook is from the National Association of Broadcasters organization. www.nab.org to which I have membership as well as the Society of Broadcast Engineers or SBE is another good source for reference publications. www.sbe.org

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• relicmarks
                • Mar 2007

Whats the names of these's books because i went on amazon and i can't find them

Comment

Working...