• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

I'll bite

no guides or links to home page

exactly what does the program do in plain english?
  • jwo62
    Super Moderator
    • May 2005

Hi Chewy,

the phrase "I'll bite" could be somewhat threatening coming from a wookie .

thank you for pointing out that I failed to post even basic info on the program,I guess I assumed everyone new what it was .

I have now posted a sticky with a breif description of the programs capabilities.

in short,its a transcoder. it is in fact the first transcoder that was available,before even IC, D95C and DvdS. the "oneclick backup sub form at doom9 was started initially for this program (dvd2one is still in the sub forum description).

the program does not now,nor has it ever ,included a ripper.

only encryption free titles may be used with this program. neither the author or I will offer any assistance with breaking encryption.

free trial versions are available :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

PC version, Windows 2000 and XP

Mac OS-X 10.3.9 and 10.4, Universal Binary

________
    Publica
    Last edited by jwo62; 7 Mar 2011, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

does it only make iso's? not big on those

Comment

• jwo62
        Super Moderator
        • May 2005

no,it will also do files and or burn.
        ________
        Spice Weed

Comment

• locoeng
          Who Farted?
          • Dec 2005

Here is a pretty good comparison chewy...

UPDATE 06/08/2006:Added new pics of transcoders for the comparison. All processes were full disc, same movie as previous, which resulted to about 51%...

I've not used it, but wouldn't mind giving it a go at some point.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
          Walt Kelly

Comment

• evdberg
            • Jun 2007

Originally Posted by jwo62
            no,it will do files and or burn.
            Actually it can make ISOs ... and even better, DVD2one makes them on-the-fly. So no need to first create a fileset and then convert it to an ISO, the process is just in one go. I am not sure, but I do not think there are other progs that can do this.

Comment

• evdberg
              • Jun 2007

A small bit of history:

I was not really one of the first to step into dvd burning. My first drive was the Sony 500a, the first + and - combo drive. The need to create DVD2one came quite soon after buying the drive, with the 5th or 6th dvd I tried to copy. The problem? Well, it did not fit on a single layer recordable, even after processing it as movie-only with Darrow's IfoEdit. I called a friend, and asked how he proceeded. He came up with a long and complicated process involving lots of tools, of which one was a very expensive mpeg-2 encoder. I tried this encoder once, but canceled the procedure as the estimated time was more than 10 hours. This was clearly not the way to go. I knew roughly how mpeg video encoding worked, and had an idea. I read through the mpeg-2 specs to see if it was possible, and it seemed so. After that I decided to give it a try and started coding ...

The fun thing is that when I had the engine working and told another friend about it, he claimed that something like this already existed. He send me a scan from the november edition of C'T magazin about VOBs Instant Copy. I felt pretty bad, because I never had thought of it that others were also on the same track. Luckily from the report it seemed that IC was much slower. So I finished my product, made a new website and released the worlds first one-click dvd copy tool ... what happened after the release I will tell another time ...

Comment

• jwo62
                Super Moderator
                • May 2005

Originally Posted by locoeng
                Here is a pretty good comparison chewy...

UPDATE 06/08/2006:Added new pics of transcoders for the comparison. All processes were full disc, same movie as previous, which resulted to about 51%...

I've not used it, but wouldn't mind giving it a go at some point.
                hi locoeng,

This mainly is comparing hc and procoder and cce,which are encoders. programs like dvd2one,d95c clonedvd are transcoders. its not a true comparison.

i am also not sure it reflects the latest version of d2o.
                ________

Comment

• locoeng
                  Who Farted?
                  • Dec 2005

I'm sure the version used is older than current, but it is a good side by side comparison between the encoders and transcoders IMHO.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                  Walt Kelly

Comment

• jwo62
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2005

Originally Posted by locoeng
                    I'm sure the version used is older than current, but it is a good side by side comparison between the encoders and transcoders IMHO.

True,i think encoders almost always look better than transcoders,but you pay for it and it takes much longer.
                    ________
                    Suzuki h engine history
                    Last edited by jwo62; 7 Mar 2011, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Gary D
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2005

OK... I will ask the "NEWB" question!

What is exactly the difference between an encoder and a transcoder??????

The terms sound similar and sometimes used interchangeably in different posts. (Maybe wrongly)
                      Gary D

Comment

• soup
                        Just Trying To Help
                        • Nov 2005

Comment

• blutach
                          Not a god of digital video
                          • Oct 2004

@Gary D

Easiest way to explain this is to consider the source. Transcoding takes an original source and takes away stuff to lower the bitrate. The discarded stuff is determined by the program's algorithm, which might cosider high motion scenes etc. This process may introduce artifacts in scenes which require high bitrates. Top 2 pass transcoders figure this out and can produce very high quality results, particularly if the quant is low.

Encoding takes the source and builds up a complete new video from the bottom up, distributing the (lower number of) bits to a higher quant. This almost universally produces a higher quality video output, depending on the quality of the encoder. Top quality ones are Procoder, CCE, HCEnc.

Believe it or not, as film is transferred into a DVD via MPEG2 encoding, there are qualified "compressionists" whose job it is to ensure the artefacts are minimised and the bitrate and quant is set to ensure a high quality picture. These folks are reputed to attract pretty good $$$ for the painstaking work they must do.

This is a very good thread that further explains things.

Regards
                          Last edited by blutach; 24 Jun 2007, 09:14 AM.
                          Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                          [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• anonymez
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2004

To transcode something is to decode, then encode, ie the source and output are compressed. Most of the time, when someone says "encoding" they should really say "transcoding". DVD to MPEG4, FLAC to AAC, DVD9 to DVD5 with DVD Rebuilder, etc are all examples of transcoding. If you are encoding then your source is uncompressed, which is rarely the case when working with video (but then you could argue the decoding is not part of the process and that the encoder is being fed uncompressed content anyway).

However we still refer to Shrink as a transcoder and DVDRB as using encoders. In this case, transcoders (compressed domain) might first do a quick analysis of all the GOPs, determine where the most bits are needed and adjusts quantizers accordingly. Encoders (spatial domain), on the other hand, redo the whole thing from scratch. They take longer but generally have better quality output.

Edit: Dammit Les!
                            Last edited by anonymez; 20 Jun 2007, 10:05 AM.
                            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• elizerrojas
                              Digital Video Technician
                              Digital Video Technician
                              • Jan 2005

I'm glad there is now a thread about dvd2one on this forum. i have been using this program since V. 1.52 which i still use. and now i use V. 2.1.3. this little program is very fast, and has a very good quality output. in my view, it produces the same results as shrink and recode2 but it takes less time.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎