Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrDaDa
    • Jan 2007

media player classic

Just started using mpc. I'm able to play most video files except .flv. I get a missing codec message which I can't resolve. The audio portion is playing but not the video. Any help would be appreciated...
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Are you using ffdshow? If so, you need enable FLV1 and VP6F decoding in ffdshow, some instructions here:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• MrDaDa
      • Jan 2007

Thanks. I found that link earlier today and have been studying it. Talk about syncronicity. Anyways, the link suggests installing ffdshow_rev 1309 in a special setup to play flv files in mpc. I've always been a little leary about installing ffdshow because of potential conflicts with Windows Movie Maker 2.1 and Adoble Premiere Elements 3.0.2. If I have any problems, is it easy to uninstall ffdshow and get back to my present state? Thanks!

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

It's easy to uninstall, or to setup so that it is only used for certain applications and certain codecs.

Comment

• MrDaDa
          • Jan 2007

Just one more question. In the above link for installing ffdshow, it says to select "FLV1", "VP5/VP6", and "MP3" settings in the Select Additional Tasks window. Does this mean to select only these three or choose the default setting which includes these three and others. The picture of the Select Additional Tasks shows the H.264 box checked. I'm a little confused.

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

It depends on whether you want to use ffdshow to decode the other formats or not. If you have ffdshow installed already, you can check it's settings to see which codecs are enabled and then repeat the selection in the installer (normally it should be selected already). If you are doing a new install, just select "FLV1", "VP5/VP6", and "MP3" and leave everything else unchecked. If you find later on that some files no longer play (eg. H.264), then go back into the ffdshow video configuration tool and enable the decoding for that format.

Comment

• MrDaDa
              • Jan 2007

Thanks for the info. I'm starting to understand the installation of ffdshow now.

Comment

• katana
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Jul 2004

FLV Player will also work for .flv files.

Comment

• MrDaDa
                  • Jan 2007

I have flv player 1.3.3 and it works fine. I'm using media player classic because of recommendations from this forum. It works great. I'm going to hold off installing ffdshow for now. Being open source, there are so many different versions. Also, I've read ffdshow can potentially cause conflicts with windows movie maker and adobe premiere elements 3.0 (I use both).

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎