• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gary D
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Problems converting 16X9 RMVB to NTSC VOB

I was converting a file to VOB format. The output when previewed in MPC appears to be wrong. The people and round objects appear to be stretched from bottom to top OR compressed from side to side.

The original file with RMVB compression has these characteristics:

I was using these settings on SUPER:

This is the output characteristics:

Do not worry about the time differences as I had encoded many files last night while I slept. I also tried using AVI2DVD and it does not recognize RMVB format.

What should I do to keep the full picture? Letter box is acceptable. How do I do it?
    Last edited by Gary D; 22 Jul 2007, 09:31 PM.
    Gary D
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

why are you trying to change 16/9 to 4/3?????

Comment

• Gary D
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

I was not trying to do this on purpose. I just set the output settings to NTSC settings

EDIT: I am retrying with the 16X9 aspect settings. I will post back in 40 minutes with the results
      Last edited by Gary D; 22 Jul 2007, 09:56 PM.
      Gary D

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

Does SUPER calculate the pixel aspect ratio automatically?
        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• Gary D
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2005

So by changing my output aspects to match the original aspects, the output from SUPER (using MEncoder) was then perfect. (No stretching)

When I took that file and ran it through NeroVision4 to create the menus and chapters, the playback on my TV was perfect!

Does SUPER calculate the pixel aspect ratio automatically?
          Some things are automatic, others have to be set manually when selecting VOB output. Aspect ratio, frame rate, and frame size depending on PAL or NTSC.

This is where I made my mistake, I should have kept the original's aspect in the green video box and had not selected 4X3 (as it would be on my TV). This was a good learning experience.

BTW: SUPER is not an encoder but GUI for many different ones. For VOB format, you can choose MEncoder or ffmpeg.

I have a lot to learn but this is fun!
          Gary D

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

another tip
            with small file size and longer run time(low bit rate) qualty is low to start,
            no real sense in converting to a higher dvd bitrate like 6000

a good avi for 40 min will be about 350MB

I am testing some 700MB 52 min ones

Comment

• paglamon
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

@Gary D, I inquired about the pixel aspect ratio for entirely different reasons.(I know SUPER is not the encoder ). In your case DAR/PAR = 720/480.You had to keep DAR same.And following DVD Standard(NTSC) the frame size had to be 720x480(while original was 624/352).So you changed frame size while keeping DAR constant. This can only be done if PAR is chaged,which Mencoder/FFMPEG did automatically .(You will note that the original file has a square pixel PAR=1:1,whereas DVD Video MUST have non square pixel).PAR can be changed with avisynth scripts. I just wanted to know if there was any advanced option in SUPER to do so.
              Here is a nice article:http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/t...d_Aspect_Ratio
              Last edited by paglamon; 23 Jul 2007, 12:43 PM.
              sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• Gary D
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2005

Thank you for the info paglamon.

BTW: I just watched the first 6 episodes (~42 minutes each and the quality is good on a 27" TV). I had a few freeze ups but that is a burning issue. I burnt the DVD too fast.

I was using NeroVision4 to make the menus and buttons. It just flys along when it creates everything. The 2nd disc of 6 episodes is also under a DVD5. The 3rd disc of 6 episodes is 25 MB over so I will shrink it. And the last is 5 episodes so size is not a problem.

The average size of each episode is about 750MB.

Gary D

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎