• admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Google to “hopefully” launch YouTube anti-piracy tool in September

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

That's just stupid... they already remove my NON-INFRINGING videos for terms of use violation!

I tried to upload a music video I made with anime clips (and it's legal to make those, something under parody laws), and they keep removing it... and if YouTube doesn't, the producing company does! It's not like I'm uploading episodes or anything!

So all we need is tools that further infringe on things that are allowed... true I didn't make the anime but I made the VIDEO, so why is it infringing?
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

All the copyright nonsense is getting a bit stupid now ... see the dancing toddler story.

Yes, technically somebody holds the copyright to almost every piece of video or music out there. But to use a piece of music as background for a home video, or to use a little bit of copyrighted footage in your own music video, and all for non profit I might add, should not really get anybody in trouble. Does it really hurt the copyright holders if people use their content in this way? Of course not. It might even help. It's just that they can't really see through their greed, and they see YouTube being valued at billions of dollars and they want a piece of that (YouTube does not make any profits, by the way, they make huge losses).

Pretty soon, they'll be suing people for humming tunes in the street ...

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Google Inc. announced that it had reached a deal to acquire the company for US$1.65 billion in Google's stock. The deal closed on 13 November 2006.[1]
        YouTube was created in mid February 2005 by three former employees of PayPal.

View Alphabet Inc. Class C GOOG stock quote prices, financial information, real-time forecasts, and company news from CNN.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Yes, technically somebody holds the copyright to almost every piece of video or music out there. But to use a piece of music as background for a home video, or to use a little bit of copyrighted footage in your own music video, and all for non profit I might add, should not really get anybody in trouble. Does it really hurt the copyright holders if people use their content in this way? Of course not. It might even help. It's just that they can't really see through their greed, and they see YouTube being valued at billions of dollars and they want a piece of that (YouTube does not make any profits, by the way, they make huge losses).
          Right, I realize that the clips used in making the video are copyrighted... when I re-uploaded it (I had to re-encode the AVI, they had a blacklist on my source before...) I put a disclaimer saying that all copyrights belong to their proper owners and that I'm not claiming to have made the source material. I'll see how long it takes them to find some other BS reason to remove it...

As far as the videos go, it's one thing to be uploading movies... another to upload short fan-made videos using those movies, since they are changed from the original version it's technically a different video.

And not to mention... I had to buy the CD with the song on it, as well as the DVDs of the source clips... so that's even more money going to the copyright holders. (not like the artists make much money off CD sales, same for DVDs...)
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

Awe-inspiring performance! Actor/Comedian/Voice Artist, Michael Clive (Kaminski) imitates George C. Scott as General George S. Patton...rants about Iraq and ...

Comment

• drfsupercenter
              NOT an online superstore
              • Oct 2005

Why is that relevant? I can't really watch it here (at computer camp right now... I can use YouTube but I don't want to waste time during lessons)
              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
              Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

it's a parody using film footage from Patton the movie w/ George c scott and a small blip at the end about video supplied by Universal?

somehow it's not being pulled, why?

Comment

• admin
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2001

Parody falls under fair use I think.

But I think fair use should be extended for non-profit usage too and situations where the copy holder's interests are not violated (home made videos would fall into this category). I mean the whole point of copyright is to protect the content holder's profits, and so if no profits are lost, where's the violation?

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                    NOT an online superstore
                    • Oct 2005

Well,
                    YouTube doesn't remove stuff itself.

My video using Pokémon clips was removed by Shogakukan company (VIZ Video Japan branch), VIZ has the rights to the DVD. (Though why the Japan one removes the English dub is beyond me...)

I uploaded a music video using Jurassic Park clips, that's been there for over a year and never removed. I guess Universal doesn't have agents checking for their stuff.

Parody falls under fair use I think.

But I think fair use should be extended for non-profit usage too and situations where the copy holder's interests are not violated (home made videos would fall into this category). I mean the whole point of copyright is to protect the content holder's profits, and so if no profits are lost, where's the violation?
                    Making music videos (whether with movies or with anime... I have done both) is considered under the parody laws. I don't know why, but it probably has to do with the fact that you're taking one video and changing it around (order of clips etc.) to make it your own.

I wonder what they consider my music video using a Weird Al song, a parody of a parody?
                    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                    Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

that clip made me want to watch the film again, and in that way it's promoting the copyright's interest not infringing upon it

there's probably a blanket order to remove all pokemon

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                        NOT an online superstore
                        • Oct 2005

Not just that, all anime released by Viz. They seem to be really picky when it comes to copyrights...

But why would it matter, Pokémon video vs. Jurassic Park video... neither is infringing but they seem to think so, that particular video got my previous account deleted and a blacklist added for it.

And as far as anime goes, most Japanese companies don't care what people do with it, as it's Japan-exclusive and it makes them look good... I've only heard of a few subtitling places getting C&Ds (and I am on one subbing channel on IRC) out of the thousands that exist.
                        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• usotsuki
                          • Mar 2007

Yeah, jeez, I did a sample clip for Pokemon, I labelled it "PKMN", and the only tag I used was "Psyduck". I've got to be very careful, but who wouldn't argue that the clip - which is ONLY 8 seconds long out of a 24-minute episode - isn't fair use?

-uso.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎