X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

DivX sues Universal over copyright threats against its video-sharing site

After months of hearing about Universal Music Group's displeasure, DivX yesterday filed a preemptive federal lawsuit of its own that asks a judge to exorcise the "specter of litigation" currently haunting DivX.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

vox populi has voted, the drm police can't handle the "enforcement" because too many people disagree with music industry's approach to protecting the profit margin

what's stupid about all this, is (IMHO) that these video sites and posters are supplying free advertising and actually promoting the videos, not pirating them

music videos in themselves are not the primary income for artists and their companies,
    they are run on music video public television to promote sales, so what's the difference?

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

I think the media owners are not really keeping up with what the Internet has become, and still want to apply traditional copyright restrictions. It just won't work. These video sharing sites are really just an extension of "water cooler talk", except it's on a global scale and the technology allows for media to be posted, as opposed to being just talked about. Instead of talking about a scene from last night's Family Guy, I'll simply post it (or find a link to it), share the link with my friends and then have a chat about it. You couldn't do that before, and now you can ... the media owners should realise the potential of this and capitalise on it, not to prevent it.

Of course, people should be prevented from posting full episodes or full movies, but these are in the minority.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

It has been proven that people file-sharing music for free has helped contribute to the sales of albums, not hurt it.

That being said, I'm not saying I do such, but I do wish they'd stop making it seem like such a crime... (And, I read somewhere that the record company only gives the artist about 10 cents per CD sale... kinda greedy if you ask me!)
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡