X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

DRM advocates getting nervous about consumer backlash

You all know the slogan: "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." At the Digital Rights Strategies conference in New York City, a similar message could be heard: "DRM doesn't anger consumers, content owners abusing DRM anger consumers."

-- snip --

Then, of course, there's the hypocrisy. At a conference convened by the overlords of DRM, Sony vice president Scott Smyers admits that he circumvents the copy protection on DVDs (CSS) in order to make backups for personal use. Apparently Mr. Smyers doesn't agree with Hollywood or the Register of Copyrights, both of which argue that "backups" can readily be had in the form of new copies you can buy at the store. The corporate hypocrisy is obvious: what the corporate parent demands (DRM that prevents DVD copying), even its own employee disregards. We can't blame him.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Let's look into the future a little, a dvd burner in every computer, a computer in every home, the writing is on the wall, you don't have to be a soothsayer to read it.

Now if they would outlaw dvd burners and have everybody turn there's in, that would solve the problem.

Comment

• locoeng
      Who Farted?
      • Dec 2005

Now if they would outlaw dvd burners and have everybody turn there's in, that would solve the problem.
      Then we get back the "gun" reference in the OP....burners would be sold on the black market and the pirates would be getting rich since they would be the sole source. Of course you'd have to eliminate all the downloading too.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
      Walt Kelly

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Making alcohol illegal just led to more alcohol being consumed.

Making DVD copying legal might reduce the bootlegging a bit then, why can't the government learn from the past?
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡