X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Movie nights may violate copyright laws

Part of U.S. copyright law states that movies are not allowed to be shown in public places without purchasing a license beforehand. You may not look at your residence hall lounge as a public place, but according to the law, dorm lounges can fall under that heading.

-- snip --

It is stated in the Resident Assistant manual that students are not allowed to watch movies in the lounges. The penalties for doing so are fines between $500 and $20,000.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

I guess this would qualify also

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Just put a sign on the door that movie night will be held unless one of the attendees is an FBI agent.
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

It's interesting, I work with a business that pays 10's of thousands of dollars in license fees every year to publicly broadcast/play/promote copyrighted material, whatever they want to do is fine, no questions asked. People try to teach dancing at a church or school however are prohibited from playing copyrighted music unless the church or school has paid for these licenses. We took a wrong turn somewhere. It's about time for the US Supreme Court to step up and do their constitutional duty.

rant off

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

hmmmmmmmmmmmm or hummmmm?

Originally Posted by Chewy
          It's interesting, I work with a business that pays 10's of thousands of dollars in license fees every year to publicly broadcast/play/promote copyrighted material, whatever they want to do is fine, no questions asked. People try to teach dancing at a church or school however are prohibited from playing copyrighted music unless the church or school has paid for these licenses. We took a wrong turn somewhere. It's about time for the US Supreme Court to step up and do their constitutional duty.

rant off
          Hummmmmmm, next thing we'll be busted for hummin' a tune without payin' the BMI. Makes me think of a comic who did a routine about bein' behind on his utility bills in the age when they charge for air. He's wheezin' as he's spare-changin' to get enough to buy another breath!!! (Maybe I shouldn't tell the joke... is it copyrighted?)

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎