X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

'Star Trek' HD DVD to be Screened in Theaters

Now, as part of unique promotional campaign for the box set, Paramount Home Entertainment has announced plans to screen a classic episode from the HD DVD in select theaters nationwide on November 13, a full week before its scheduled release.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

remastered and retooled? Kind of wonder how appropriate this old stuff is for Highdef?

More hype?

Comment

• RFBurns
      To Infinity And Byond
      • May 2006

It will be no different than other film transfers. They should turn out well other than film anomalies. Question is...for the true ST fan who has gotten a taste of the widescreen shows (DS9/Enterprise), may not go for a 4:3 HD look. If they can fix em up without chopping off anything within the 4:3 frame and slap it to a 16:9 and not make things look squished or streched, they may actually have something.

But as a ST fan myself who has every single ST show on DVD's including the TOS series and animated series, I dont see any reason to rush out and get the HD counterpart when my standard DVD's look just fine even on an HD set.

At some point you cant get any more resolution even from film. About the only thing you get is the film elements themselves...ie the little black blotches, chemical anomalies within the film itself. Who wants to see that mess? And some of the HD transfers done already with films from the 80's you can see film anomalies due to the high res.

I suppose going frame by frame, filling in the blotches etc could work but the 4:3 frame to 16:9 wide is what will be the problem from a fan point of view IMO.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

They added a bunch of new special effects just like the Star Wars Special Editions, which I guess maybe justifies going HD. Personally, I hate when new special effects are added to old content, it just doesn't fit in properly. I really don't like the people that are in charge of the Star Trek franchaise now, in particularly Brannon Braga. Braga managed to alienate Ronald D. Moore and push him away from Star Trek (Moore then went on to make the award winning Battlestar Galactica). The failed Enterprise series was Braga's work, and nearly even managed to destroy to movie franchaise, saved by JJ Abrams coming in and do a new re-imagined movie. Then we have these new special effects episodes, what was wrong with the episodes before that managed to become a cultural phenomenon without the need for CGI.

Anyway, if you want to buy the HD DVD set, which is a combo (HD DVD on one side, DVD on the other), you should probably do so from Amazon, since it's on sale for nearly half of the retail price:

Star Trek TOS HD DVD @ Amazon
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

it was shot in 1966 in mono sound, original film stock is 41 years old?

of course my "trekkie" days have long since passed since I watched the originals when they were first aired and then the repeats.

maybe they will be reborn at christmas 08

Last edited by Chewy; 12 Oct 2007, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎