X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Toshiba Shows Versatile New HD DVD Recorder

As the holiday shopping season approaches, Toshiba is turning up the heat on the Blu-ray Disc camp with the launch of an HD DVD recorder that can record high-definition video to regular DVDs.

The Vardia RD-A301 will hit Japan in mid-December and can also transcode high-definition MPEG2 broadcasts on the fly to the more efficient MPEG4 compression format. MPEG4 video takes up less space, so more can be stored on an HD DVD disc or on the unit's built-in 300G-byte hard-disk drive.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I wonder how much one of those will cost. I'm tired of only having an hour a disc in high quality mode!
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

These will record using MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, just like Blu-ray's AVCREC.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

How much would that record on one standard DVD then?
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• ed klein
          Banned
          • Mar 2004

You can only get that model in Japan and costs approximately $800. USA dollars.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

Currently that is... I'm sure it will come here eventually.
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• ed klein
              Banned
              • Mar 2004

Not likely any personal hi def DVD recorders with a hard drive will ever come to the USA that are capable of recording 1080p.

The current best you can get is the sat company DVR that you rent from them and you can ONLY view the hi def at 1080p if you have a 1080p compatable TV. You can not record the hi def to your personal DVD recorder it comes out only in SD.

Lobby groups like Sony will spends millions of dollars to keep it off the market place in the USA.

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

HD Rec will allow 2 hours of HD video on a standard single layer DVD. Actually, this was Toshiba's original plan for HD, to still use DVD media/red laser technology and more efficient codecs like H.264 or VC-1. Only when Sony introduced their own blue laser technology in Blu-ray, did Toshiba go with blue laser and invent HD DVD.

But as ed klein mentioned, 1080p recording has copy protection issues (if/when 1080p content is broadcast reguarly, I'm sure the networks would like to prevent recording at 1080p or at least track it or prevent copying with some sort of DRM).

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                  NOT an online superstore
                  • Oct 2005

I've seen "HD rips" of stuff online... so there's obviously a way to do it.

I'm not too concerned about size though, I don't even have HD programming. I just mean for taping normal broadcast-quality things, I'd rather get 2 hours than 1 on high quality mode.
                  CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                  Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• ed klein
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2004

@DRFSUPERCENTER
                    Quote "so there's obviously a way to do it"

You can start by capturing the HD signal (1080p) that comes from the sat dish to the DVR like Dish networks 622 system before it gets downgraded to the SD output port. Maybe some port called HDMI input on the DVR and HDMI output on the DVR to the TV. Capture that HDMI signal and output to a HDMI input on you personal hi def DVD recoder with a hard drive.

Also, factor-in HDCP on the HDMI and maybe future digital flag protection.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                      NOT an online superstore
                      • Oct 2005

I've never seen protection that my DVD recorder can't handle... there are probably those digital TV tuners that work the same way.

Take any Macrovision protected VHS, and all that happens is the recorder displays a "this material is copyrighted" error and won't record. All I have to do is start the recording with the VHS on "Stop", and then press play once it's going. Maybe people do something like that.

But whatever can be encrypted can also be decrypted. Again, I don't know or really care how they do it, but I've seen plenty of things recorded on HD stations.
                      Heck, I've even come across .ts files floating around the Internet.
                      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                      Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• hsweet
                        • Nov 2007

I'd be happy to see any DVD recorders with hard drive available in the USA as they are throughout the rest of the world. Why is TIVO the only choice? How did it end up with monopoly control of the US market?

Comment

• admin
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2001

You don't have DVD recorders with hard-drives in the US? Is it because TIVO is so popular that people aren't interested? Or is it some stupid copyright thing?

Having just looked at Amazon.com, it seems to be true that there aren't any DVD/hard-disk recorders on sale. These are everywhere here in Australia, from all the major brands (Sony, Panasonic, Philips ...), but of course, we don't have TIVO (yet).

Comment

• hsweet
                            • Nov 2007

DVD recorders with Hard Drives were available in the USA but now DVD recorders are only available without hard drives. TIVO is convenient but lacks editing capability and requires a subscription fee. But, the main point is that there is now only one source for the technology. That is called monopoly.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎