• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Wal-Mart $98 Toshiba HD DVD Player!

highdefdigest forum thread where the original link was posted:

'High-Def Digest is your ultimate source for everything 4K, Ultra HD, Blu-ray Disc, Streaming, and Home Theater products. News and in-depth reviews published daily!'

The link to Wal-Mart directly:

$98 for the Toshiba HD-A2! $14.96 for HD DVD movies. These are some very good prices indeed ...
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Wal-Mart HD DVD commercial:

Comment

• BR7
      He is coming to your little town!
      • Aug 2005

What does A2 mean ?

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

don't blink, the technology moves too fast, the first players were more like computers than dvd players

look for all this technology to become smaller and more affordable as chipset makers
        catch up

Comment

• BR7
          He is coming to your little town!
          • Aug 2005

Thanks Chewy

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

The A2 is the superceded Toshiba second generation HD DVD player. It only has 1080i output. You can now buy the A3 for $169 at Sears (the A3 is also limited to 1080i). Both are good players and good DVD upscalers - I'd buy them just for the upscaling really.

Comment

• locoeng
              Who Farted?
              • Dec 2005

I do believe they are offering 5 free movies as well...

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
              Walt Kelly

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

Yes, the normal redemption offer still applies, so you get to choose 5 free HD DVDs from a list of 15. These movies usually retail for at least $20 (on Amazon.com), so that's $100 worth of free movies for $98. Better be quick though, it's a limited offer and only a few sets will be made available to purchase. In the same sale, there are also some HD DVD titles that have been reduced to $15, full list here:

For those that have a Xbox 360, you can also get the HD DVD add-on drive for it from Amazon, get King Kong HD DVD (value: $20) included in the box, Heroes - Season 1 DVD (value: $69.95) as a gift from Amazon, and then also the 5 free movies. So that's about $190 worth of free movies for $180. More info here:

Find out how you can buy the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive with $190 worth of free HD DVDs movies for only $180

Obviously, these offers only apply to people living in the US, which is a shame. Here in Australia, we have to pay $AUD 549 ($US 500) for the A3, plus we only get 3 movies (no choice either).

Comment

• digibunny
                  • Nov 2007

Originally Posted by admin
                  The A2 is the superceded Toshiba second generation HD DVD player. It only has 1080i output. You can now buy the A3 for $169 at Sears (the A3 is also limited to 1080i). Both are good players and good DVD upscalers - I'd buy them just for the upscaling really.
                  The 1080i vs 1080p argument is void though in this regard. It also tells you that deinterlacing will be done by your screen instead of your dvd player. Unless you have a CRT Full HD TV which for some reason doesn't have an option to show 1080i as 1080p the benefit of a 1080p capable player is non existant. LCD Full HD screen aren't even able to display 1080i interlaced. So 1080i will be 1080p on your 1080p screen and if you only have a interlaced 1080i screen 1080p doesn't matter.

I also see no reason why your TV or projector would be worse at deinterlacing than the HD player.

Comment

• admin
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2001

Yes, for most cases feeding 1080i or 1080p from film content to a 1080p (Full HD) screen will display identical pictures (which is why I get annoyed when the Blu-ray group call their players "True HD"). More info here:

For non-film content, then it's a slightly different matter. Then there is also 1080p/24, and if your TV has it (and renders it either in 72 Hz or 120 Hz for super smooth motions), then 1080p/24 output does help (but again if your TV is smart enough, it can take 1080i inputs and turn them into 1080p/24 - the Pioneer plasmas can do it through their PureCinema Advanced mode).

Comment

• tigerman8u
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Aug 2003

Got two of them. they were the last 2 wal-mart had. 2 hd players and 10 hd movies for $210 not bad. shame they don't offer more hd movies to select from.

also got the Acer laptop they had for $348. last one they had.

Comment

• admin
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by tigerman8u
                        Got two of them. they were the last 2 wal-mart had. 2 hd players and 10 hd movies for $210 not bad. shame they don't offer more hd movies to select from.

also got the Acer laptop they had for $348. last one they had.
                        I'm jealous

Comment

• tigerman8u
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Aug 2003

Almost got one last month at Amazon on sale with free shipping for IIRC $208. Glad I waited.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎