Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdHELP
    • Nov 2007

I'm GOING CRAZY HERE!

Ok...I'll attempt to the best of my ability to keep this short. This morning at 4am, I awoke to hp updates on my screen. I hit yes to install them and went for a cup of coffee. I come back and it says complete...and restart? I click yes and run to the bathroom. I come back and my cd rom is open. I close it and it opens again....and again...and again.

I contact HP and they give me a couple non-solutions and tell me they will escalate the situation after telling me it's probably a hardware issue and if not I should probably just do a system recovery!

Okay... I know it's not the hardware and are you kidding me?
    System Recovery!!!?

Ok..so I'm livid now. I start researching it myself and end up here at your site. On one of the entries I see someone who's helping another person with something similiar saying to check the system logs and application logs. So I see exactly what I thought, but I can't make heads or tails of it. I had no problems AT ALL in there until the update. Now ERROR, ERROR, ERROR.

Some of the errors are as follows....
    1) ftsata2 error - failed to load
    2) DCOM error - service cannot be started
    3) SideBySide error - Generate Activation Control Context error

There are several of the SideBySide errors showing up including something called Resolve Partial Assembly failed for VC80.CRT The reference assembly is not installed on system.

I am at a stand still with this and my cd rom is still open.

I am livid. I take good care of my pcs and the HP techs are so completely incompetent.

Can someone pretty please help me?

Thank you all....
  • sdHELP
    • Nov 2007

Logs...

I attached some of the logs to help.....

Thanks again
    Attached Files

Comment

• paglamon
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

System Recovery!!!?
      Probably meant System Restore.START/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.
      sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• sdHELP
        • Nov 2007

Nope....

Originally Posted by paglamon
        Probably meant System Restore.START/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.
        That was done before the recovery was suggested. It was his last ditch hope that I would just recover and call it a day.

Pretty bad that they would suggest that huh?

When I refused, I also demanded that they escalate it to a supervisor, who I hope is more competent than the techs.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

looks like Itunes/Ipod, creative cd service(whatever the hell that is?) lightscribe and McAfee got into a fight to the death

time to clean house

Comment

• sdHELP
            • Nov 2007

Clean house...

Ok, so what do I do now? You say clean house, but as I sit now, I've got an open cd rom door and no solution as to how to close it.

The creative thing was an mp3 player I used for a while, which I guess I could just remove, but the Ipod is still in use and the lightscribe and McAfee as well.

What do I do? Everything was fine until I ran the HP updater. It was a raid uninstaller update and also HP Photosmart Essential. I'm not quite sure how those updates could cause such havoc, but if you know do tell....

Please help me.....

This has been the week from hell and this is the mohawk on the yeti

Comment

• drfsupercenter
              NOT an online superstore
              • Oct 2005

Can't you just push the CD door closed?

--EDIT--

If it keeps reopening again, close it and hold your hand on it for about a minute. At that point the motor will stop spinning and it'll stay shut.

I realize that doesn't help, but at least your door won't be open
              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
              Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
              My DVD Collection

Comment

• sdHELP
                • Nov 2007

ahhhhhhh.......

Nope...didn't work to hold it in. The motor didn't stop and HP hasn't called yet! I'm so stressed out over this I could scream!

Ok, so tell me, if the motor doesn't stop than that means that something is telling it to run, correct? Obviously some registries have been changed, but why than didn't doing a system restore change it back? Could it be that they deleted a necessary driver in the HP update?

Please, please help me.....or I may just throw this pc out the window!
                Please don't make me beg....I look really silly.

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

go into safe mode after a cold shutdown, remove the drive from device manager and reboot

Comment

• sdHELP
                    • Nov 2007

Nope....

I tried it this morning and it didn't work....

I'm outta ideas here. The person from HP called today while I was at work...ya know exactly when I told them NOT to call.

My real concern at this point until it's fixed is that I can hear it running constantly. I'm worried that it's going to fry my power. I've been turning it off when I'm not using it, which I normally don't do.

Any other ideas are welcome, but I seriously thank everyone that has attempted to help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

does the drive do it in safe mode? If it does, it may be bad? Coincidence?

Comment

• sdHELP
                        • Nov 2007

Ya...

It does it no matter what I do. Even if I disable it in device manager. I tried going through my task manager and shutting things down...didn't work.

Is there a way to actually shut off the motor itself? (OMG I sound like such a moron)

I can hear it trying to read as if there's a disk in there, but of course it's open and all disks accounted for.

Comment

• gonwk
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Dec 2005

Hi sdHELP,

Just out of curiosity ... wWhat is the Model of your HP?

G!

Comment

• sdHELP
                            • Nov 2007

Sr1726nx.....

With some RAM added. And now I have this sick feeling inside that I'm going to be told something heinous about this pc.....

And than the Samsung people finally replied about the email I sent them about not finding the firmware updates for the TS-H552L sent me an email stating that I should go to the website and search for "Live Update" and run updates!!!! Are these people totally incompetent? So I emailed back stating once again that I attached my system and ap logs, because I had already tried the update thing AS I SAID BEFORE and they emailed back almost immediately yellling at me saying that they said in the last email that if I wasn't satisfied with the answer to call 1-800-SAMSUNG.

Ok people...does this person believe I don't have the copy of that mail? I went into it and there was a link for the site, a place to click to rate the help and a link that says that if you're dissatisfied with the help, "click here". I clicked there and got the email again....but I don't think they'll like my rating. And at this point, I AM GOING TO CALL and they're not going to like what I have to say.

Here's the thing...if I wanted to call, I would have called. I know it seems like I'm always available as I post a lot on this, but I'm actually at my desk at home working. I shut down my home phone and turn on my business line. I have to do it that way and I'm always on the phone! If I had the time to spend on the phone, I would, but as with HP (not Samsung), I gave them a good time to call and they didn't even honor that! Now as far as email goes...I can always do that or a blog or even the tech help through chat because I can multi-task on the pc...but I cannot do this on the phone talking to others at the same time.

I'm about to buy another pc, which will make our 5th. I need one for work alone as I'm getting a promotion and it's required of me. I may have a laptop provided, but really I need another desktop anyway. Two of mine are just too old and need someone that can give them some love and care and the other two are packed with mmorpg's, movies, music and what I do at work now.

I'm really glad I found you guys because my hubby produces movies and musicals and is also currently writing a book and I really need to be able to help him when he needs it. I am totally illiterate when it comes to this drive (cd rom) and this is what you all do! I hope that over time I can learn from what you talk about here....already I've learned so much from just reading the blogs, but some of it is waaaaay over my head still.

I think I may wipe this pc of all my stuff when I buy the new one and buy a pc that's made for music, movies and gaming...any suggestions?

I'm still stumped on the drive being wide open if anyone can help too......

You have my greatest thanks so far for sticking with me.

Comment

• katzdvd
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Feb 2006

I'm still stumped on the drive being wide open if anyone can help too......
                              When stuff like this happens to me, I sometimes will disconnect the device & let it sit un-powered for a few days & then plug it back in. Most times, when I reconnect it, it seems to work okay. Sort of like letting the power drain out of it lets it reboot itself. It's worth a shot, I would try it.

Comment

Working...