• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

deleting duplicate files:easy cleaner

hi fellas, just downloaded easy cleaner. used the duplicate files option which found a whole boat load of duplicate files.

it'll show you 2 files for each entry it found. are these both duplicates to the original file? or do you delete 1 of them? if you delete 1 then which 1 is the 1 that should b deleted? hence which is the duplicate, or the original 4 that matter?
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

I played with a few of these programs a long time ago and found them to be inferior to just organizing your files and eliminating duplicates manually.

Got 10 copies of an mp3, pick the best one and delete the rest?

5 copies of an installer for something like imgburn, delete the old ones.

There are no easy shortcuts

Back when we were all on dialup saving everything made more sense, today broadband makes it too easy to just delete it and redownload it.

bottom line! don't trust this kind of program

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

chewy a lot of the files that come up are not even related to software, digital media, or audio. many have to do w/start up, .init., windows 32, and just about everything on the hard drive. including files for drivers etc..

wouldn't deleting this extra crap make my pc even more of a power user? looks like it might help make it more lean and mean.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

those are the ones you never want to touch, unless you like starting over and reinstalling windows and your programs

power user implies a certain amount of experience and knowledge, don't try to fix what's not broken

mainly "power users" learn to not break things then the fixing is a lot easier

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

Originally Posted by Chewy
          those are the ones you never want to touch, unless you like starting over and reinstalling windows and your programs

power user implies a certain amount of experience and knowledge, don't try to fix what's not broken

mainly "power users" learn to not break things then the fixing is a lot easier
          chewy i needed to really heed your warning on this one. i just finished installing my drivers etc. etc..

hey sometimes experience is best teacher, but wise men always learn from the experiences of others. i'm a rookie for certain things still.

look out on this request. first how can i go about organizing my files. any of them. mostly video or audio. u know the ones u mentioned that r not gonna make me redo my pc again. also where in my hard drive do i go and look for files that are duplicated anyway.

what's the path for these? i don't mind manually deleting them at all. especially what i just went through.

thnx.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

think data only for worrying about duplicates

otherwise just keep everything organized and normal computer maintenance

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

dr_ml422 there's a nice little freeware Windows port of the Linux "locate" command that I use instead of Windows Search. When you run the scan it makes a database of the files and folders on your system. Search is nearly instant. It works on XP and Vista and probably other Windows flavors too:

http://locate32.webhop.org/

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
                dr_ml422 there's a nice little freeware Windows port of the Linux "locate" command that I use instead of Windows Search. When you run the scan it makes a database of the files and folders on your system. Search is nearly instant. It works on XP and Vista and probably other Windows flavors too:

http://locate32.webhop.org/
                miles which 32bit version should i download? there's like about 4 different ones.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

The top link appears to be the newest with an installer.
                  After that you can unpack the update over it if you
                  want latest and greatest.

Sorry, I didn't look at the "daily update" yet. I didn't realize
                  it was just a bunch of files.
                  Last edited by MilesAhead; 20 Nov 2007, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2007

yeah that's exactly what it is. a bunch of files. now that i'm here, how do you deal w/compressed zip folders anyway? i till now haven't a clue what to do w/them when i come across them anywhere, especially in regards to freeware...

can u either help me w/this or point to a link that'll show me.

i searched the forum, but a whole lot of other stuff related, but not addressing this.

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

for that download create a folder on your desktop, put the download in there, extract the files into that folder, name the folder locate, after extracting delete the zip download

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

dr_ml422 the top link on the download page is an installer. That's all you need.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2007

thnx chewy. thnx miles. i just downloaded the exe. file.

chewy the procedure above is that a good standard procedure for all zip files? or just for ones that contain a bunch of single files, and not an application or executable?

Comment

• dr_ml422
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • May 2007

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
                            dr_ml422 the top link on the download page is an installer. That's all you need.
                            miles i'm lost in regards to this locate 32. what do i do now? i opened it and ran a search of the whole system it came up w/every file imaginable. which ones are able to be deleted?

chewy said think data. there's hundreds of data files. i'm not going to mess my system again by deleting the wrong files. i need some starting point so i could take it from there.
                            thnx.

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

I use the term "data" to refer to files that you created, it's then obvious what's to keep and what's to delete

other files are system or application/program, leave them alone

follow general cleanup guidelines, if in doubt don't fix something that isn't broken

like in disk cleanup, there's little to be gained by compressing old files and a lot to risk

I still am having a hard time seeing any relevance in this whole thread, someone that's been up and running for a long time on the same install might need to do this, but looking for dups on a relative new install seems useless.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎