X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Canada's New DMCA Considered Worst Copyright Law

"The government of Canada is preparing to attempt to bring a new DMCA-modeled copyright law in Canada in order to comply with the WIPO treaties the country signed in 1997. (These treaties were also the base of the American DMCA.) The new Canadian law will be even more restrictive in nature than the American version and worse than the last Canadian copyright proposal, the defeated Bill C-60.
    loconet writes "The government of Canada is preparing to attempt to bring a new DMCA-modeled copyright law in Canada in order to comply with the WIPO treaties the country signed in 1997. (These treaties were also the base of the American DMCA.) The new Canadian law will be even more restrictive in n...
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

So I guess the Government listens to our National Anthem, but doesn't really understand what it means.
    O Canada!
    Our home and native land!
    True patriot love in all thy sons command.
    With glowing hearts we see thee rise,

"The True North strong and free!"

From far and wide,
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

"God keep our land glorious and free!"

Comment

• Gary D
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

Here is a link to Michael Geist's blog. Note: Prentice is the MP responsible.

Tuesday December 11, 2007
      Courtesy of Steven Chase of the Globe and Mail from a post-Question Period scrum this afternoon:

Chase: Do you intend, with your copyright legislation, to introduce any restrictions on the way consumers use intellectual property?

Prentice: Well, of course I can't speak to the specifics of the copyright bill because the bill hasn't been introduced in Parliament yet and that will be forthcoming in the time ahead. But it's an important piece of framework legislation. It's important to balance consumer interests, the interests of creators and users and all of that, you know, those questions will await what's in the bill so you'll have to be patient a little bit longer. The bill is coming.

Reuters: Will the bill be tabled before Christmas? It's on the notice paper.

Prentice: It depends on how long the House is here. It'll be tabled once I'm satisfied that the legislation is something that we can take pride of and put in front of the House of Commons for consideration. . . I put on the notice paper that the bill will be introduced. I haven't given a date and I'm not giving a date today, but it will be coming.

Note that the House is scheduled to conclude on Friday and not resume again until January 28, 2008.
      Michael Geist has started a facebook club (called: Fair Copyright for Canada) and after one week, there are over 18,500 members already.

NOW
      is the time to get INVOLVED! (before it is too late)!
      Gary D

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎