X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ed klein
    Banned
    • Mar 2004

Why You Need A Digital HDTV BEFORE February 2009

I have cable TV thru Comcast and the package that I have brings in approximately 80 channels thru my old analog 27 inch TV.

I have purchased a new Samsung 40 inch HDTV (1080P) that has analog, digital, and HD over-the-air tuners built-in the HDTV.

I went from approximately 80 channels to approximately 140 channels with the same Comcast package as I was using with the old analog TV.

With the three built-in turners I can pull 480i, 720i, and 1080i on the SAME CHANNEL on a number of the stations. Great to compare 480, 720, and 1080 on the SAME CHANNEL.

Also, with this new HDTV at 1080P and the upscale DVD player I can view all my DVD5 and DVD9 at 1080P. What a difference.

The free over-the-air tuner with a power db ANT signal brings in a lot of 1080i broadcasts.
    Last edited by ed klein; 4 Jan 2008, 09:41 AM.
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Once you go HD, you never want to go back
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• doctorhardware
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2006

I dumped comcast, the price I was paying was, just too much for cable and internet. There customer service just plain sucked. It took me almost 1 year to get a wireless router/modem replaced. I now have satellite now and DSL.
      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• mrsmith_007
        • Feb 2007

Buy Your Own Hardware And Comcast Rocks

If you have your OWN HARDWARE Comcast puts others to shame.
        At least if you know what you are doing that is (Advanced User)
        You shouldnt need any customer service
        And YES HD ROCKS
        Last edited by mrsmith_007; 7 Jan 2008, 12:12 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something

Comment

• mrsmith_007
          • Feb 2007

BTW I am into movies and computers on this subject. The only reason I have cable is for RACING Which is in HD (like many other stations)
          I have better things to do than watch sitcoms and crap
          and the Internet service beats DSL HANDS DOWN even when I hook in with my laptop on wireless-N
          Last edited by mrsmith_007; 7 Jan 2008, 01:41 AM. Reason: add my sig

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

Unfortunately last year we had a storm that knocked out the cable. all that was needed to send the reinitialization signal to reset everything, but Comcast was demanding that a tech must be sent, but unfortunately there was no techs available until Tuesday, the storm hit Thursday night Friday morning. My wife was on the phone with Comcast customer service for over 12 hours, she had finally found a rep that would send the reset and everything just starting working.
            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

so what's the deal w/this digital conversion in feb of 2009? i have 2 sonys that sony themselves told me were digital ready, capable of receiving a digital signal. i have cable right now and i'm getting a signal, now the box isn't digital, but are they pumping both digital, and analog? cause if i was to upgrade the service it would just b the box that changes not the signal. when they totally convert will i need to get the digital cable box from them?
              SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• RFBurns
                To Infinity And Byond
                • May 2006

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
                so what's the deal w/this digital conversion in feb of 2009? i have 2 sonys that sony themselves told me were digital ready, capable of receiving a digital signal. i have cable right now and i'm getting a signal, now the box isn't digital, but are they pumping both digital, and analog? cause if i was to upgrade the service it would just b the box that changes not the signal. when they totally convert will i need to get the digital cable box from them?

The deal with February 2009 is that all analog transmissions will be shut down. Full power and most translator services in the analog world will cease operations. Some stations will operate their digital signals on the same channels while others will relocate onto new channels.

Not all the stations will be transmitting the same formats. Some will be 1080i, some 1080p and some will only spit out 720p. For example, the network FOX transmits 720p right off their network feeds from the satellites. Some FOX affiliates will bump that up to 1080i or p depending on their local format. ABC will be 1080p and CBS will be 720p.

Fortunately most tv recievers will upscale and downscale within this range of resolutions. The problem lies mostly with the broadcaster, having to juggle the different resolution formats from local sources and network.

So in retrospect, most folks will not have to worry about anything. With the exception of people who have not purchased an ATSC reciever yet. There will also be solutions for the procrastinators with a set top box that will let their antiquated analog set recieve the digital signals. But this only lets them recieve the digital transmissions, the box converts it down to an analog signal, and letterboxes the picture on the 4:3 screen. Some boxes will have options to pan-scan if the signal being recieved contains the pan-scan data, otherwise it will just fill the 4:3 screen as best it can. Dont be surprised if the ticker along the bottom, or scoreboard at the top, is cut out of the scene.

Judging by the big game this last weekend, 720p doesnt look too bad on a upscaling 60".

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

i read those $40 coupons for the digital conversion boxes 4 those to switch over were basically 4 those who still use rabbit ears for their reception. that's not me. i'm pretty sure their pumping analog w/digital through my box cause i do see the break up on some stations, like the weather, and espn. now if i was to call my provider, and get their digital box, the only difference would be that the signal coming in would be digital cause of the new box, and of course the jump in price which i definitely think is off the charts. they're talking about $45 for basic service only. that's why i haven't changed over, and they still haven't totally switched as they have done in other neighborhoods w/digital. thnk god 4 now. by switch i mean come get the old boxes, and replace them w/the digital ones. even though analog is still out there, they've actually have come to most areas, and have picked up the old boxes.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• ed klein
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2004

@RFBURNS

I have noticed that Comcast in their transistion from analog to digital for February 2009 are always changing their channel numbers. The same channel is broadcast at 480 analog, 720 and 1080i digital, and over the air at 1080i. Four station numbers for the same channel.

Next week the same channel with have different numbers associated with the digital tuner. This requires me to re-search for all the channels approximately every two weeks so I can be sure to pick up all the channel changes from analog to digital.

And I did notice that Fox broadcast of the (big game) was at 720p and looked as good (on 40in screen) as the other main stream broadcasts NBC, ABC at 1080i.
                    Is 1080p broadcasts going to be a standard by February 2009?....As of today, any broadcast, the best I can pull is 1080i.
                    Last edited by ed klein; 5 Feb 2008, 04:53 AM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2007

i think we both know why their constantly changing the channel numbers on the box. believe me it's not to adjust the transition. i've plugged my cable str8 into my sony wega, and the signal is great just as w/the analog box, but it won't break up into lil digitized boxes, or black out on some channels. i have decisions 2 make come Feb of 2009. pay $45 4 basic on the digital box by time warner which 2 me r the biggest crooks in the industry, or just get regular reception by way of the str8 cable to tv hook up. luv my espn though. lol...

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                        NOT an online superstore
                        • Oct 2005

Will they still have analog cable in February 2009? That's currently what I have...
                        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                        My DVD Collection

Comment

• rago88
                          Digital Video Expert
                          Digital Video Expert
                          • Aug 2005

Will they still have analog cable in February 2009? That's currently what I have...
                          <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

no,
                          analog signal will be sold off.

the signal coming thru your cable wire will be digital but,
                          a converter box[ which here in the US , the Government will be giving out 40.00 coupons towards the purchase of a converter box] will translate the incoming digital signal to analog if you still have a standard analog tv..

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                            NOT an online superstore
                            • Oct 2005

But I mean, what will my cable company do? Will they automatically upgrade us to digital cable?
                            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                            Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                            My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • May 2007

hi df. yes you'll have to upgrade if you stay w/cable. that's what i've been posting about. i have the same set up as you, but i wouldn't let them convert me. they could have by now by just saying that they're not really supporting the old analog boxes, but i guess it's going to happen anyway in their minds. some neighborhoods like i mentioned only get digital boxes, or they've picked up the old ones. the upgrade is going to cost more, especially if you want all the bells n whistles like hbo, showtime, etc... like i said they wanted $39.99 w/out tax 4 regular basic if i would of converted. that's kind of crazy imo.

Comment

Working...