• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rago88
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Aug 2005

HD downloads to have hidden fees?

Looks like Time Warner wants additional bucks from Heavy users..

• Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

I have a close inside source at comcast and they are getting ready to rollout a major bandwidth upgrade, these projected overage charges aren't going to fly with increased competetion. In the major markets the potential bandwidth of fiberoptics with teleco and cable companies scrambling for our dollars will only lead to unmetered plans. Even now I am noticing burst downloads that exceed the specs by a factor of 3 or 4.

but will this trend ever hit downunder?
    Last edited by Chewy; 20 Jan 2008, 06:25 AM.

Comment

• doctorhardware
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2006

I am waiting for Att to get the fiber optic installed in IL. Att tried to use non union companies to install the the cable. So the installation is beind schedule.
      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• rago88
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Aug 2005

With all the fuss over bandwith pertaining to the main event these days which is[will be] downloading movies from the internet,
        wouldn't just plain ole renting a HD movie disk either
        from netflixs or your local whatever just be so much cheaper in the end?
        I mean were all seeing the same movie.
        with eveyone getting 42" and above HD tv's these days,
        who is watching 2 hr movies in front of a pc monitor?
        I literally mean that..
        aside from bittorent users who burn to disk,

I ask that because as a netflixs renter for past 2 yrs, I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to d/l movies so enlighten me.. who is forgoing the big screen tv to watch movies on there computer..??
        or is all of this hub bub to be for hooking up to the home tv and d/l movies for the living room Big screen.?
        either way, the disk dvd is still going to be cheaper right?

Comment

• NightTran
          Emperor of Digital Video
          Emperor of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by rago88
          With all the fuss over bandwith pertaining to the main event these days which is[will be] downloading movies from the internet,
          wouldn't just plain ole renting a HD movie disk either
          from netflixs or your local whatever just be so much cheaper in the end?
          I mean were all seeing the same movie.
          with eveyone getting 42" and above HD tv's these days,
          who is watching 2 hr movies in front of a pc monitor?
          I literally mean that..
          aside from bittorent users who burn to disk,

I ask that because as a netflixs renter for past 2 yrs, I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to d/l movies so enlighten me.. who is forgoing the big screen tv to watch movies on there computer..??
          or is all of this hub bub to be for hooking up to the home tv and d/l movies for the living room Big screen.?
          either way, the disk dvd is still going to be cheaper right?
          only if you have computer hook to your big screen HDTV which I have
          sigpic

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

Internet infrastructure is already a bit shaky due to the increase in high bandwidth applications, such as YouTube and HD downloads. Without significant upgrades, ISPs will find it increasingly difficult to provide reasonably priced services. In more advanced countries such as the US, or more densely populated advanced countries such as South Korea or Japan, the needed infrastructure might already be present or would be cost effectively enough to roll out. But for countries like Australia, where there is a huge land mass and relatively small population, it's not just worth it for the telecommunication companies to put in the money (this is why Broadband was a major election issue just now, with all sides promising money to improve broadband). We still mainly rely on copper wires to get our broadband, and most were limited to 1.5 Mbps, which has just been lifted to 8 Mbps. Once 30+ Mbps is the norm, then I think HD downloads will be a bit more realistic (but even 30 Mbps, assuming this is the practical average, and not the theoretical peak, this is barely enough for HD DVD streaming, and not enough for Blu-ray streaming which could have peak bitrates of more than 40 Mbps - although lower bitrate HD is going to be more common, where high bitrate HD will be limited to discs).

Also note that these new HD downloads that Apple and co. are talking about are really not all that impressive, picture wise. Yes, they're better in quality than previous movie downloads, and maybe can even compete with DVDs, but it will be nowhere near the quality of Blu-ray or HD DVD.
            Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

1.5Mbps x 3600sph = 5400Mbph

little over half enough for lower quality h264 tho

8Mbps would be plenty

I thought this was the future of broadband streaming?

Comment

• rago88
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Aug 2005

ok..
                let;s look at it this a simplier way.

Ipay $24.00 a month to netflixs to rent 4 movies at a time.
                the faster I watch and put in the mail,
                the faster they get them and send back next movies on my list.

On a good week,[meaning instead of putting in our mail box for nextday pickup, we drop of at post office nite drop a mile away. usually going to the store anyway]] we have watched 8 movies in a week and at that rate could watch over 30 a month.. HD or standard dvd.
                all for 24.00

now, how can Apple, Time Warner or any one getting into
                the over the internet movie delivery business compete with that assuming their rental fees and possible bandwith fees?
                Of course not everyone watches 30 movies a month but even 15 movies a month for 24.00 is still a bargain that I don't think movies on demand via internet can beat..

So where is the hook?
                where is the avantage pricewise to stop renting disks and jump on Internet movie downloading?
                especially if you have a big HD tv and a HD/Bluray player?
                Just trying to get a clearer picture of all this future movie delivery method.
                ya know the old saying, "invent a technology then make people dependant on it" but I'm not so sure about this one.
                we're not talking cell phones or other technical basics that we all use/need today.
                Last edited by rago88; 20 Jan 2008, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• NightTran
                  Emperor of Digital Video
                  Emperor of Digital Video
                  • Aug 2005

When you watch HD movie in big screen you will never go back
                  sigpic

Comment

• rago88
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Aug 2005

When you watch HD movie in big screen you will never go back

Well,yeah.
                    that a givin.
                    Sorry I forgot to mention we have a huge Plasma HD tv.
                    looking for some real input here on the Internet vrs home rentals.

Comment

• NightTran
                      Emperor of Digital Video
                      Emperor of Digital Video
                      • Aug 2005

Sorry but I may waisting your time
                      Last edited by NightTran; 20 Jan 2008, 05:59 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• rago88
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Aug 2005

You took the time to reply NighTran.
                        not wasting anyones time..

Comment

• admin
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by Chewy
                          1.5Mbps x 3600sph = 5400Mbph

little over half enough for lower quality h264 tho

8Mbps would be plenty

I thought this was the future of broadband streaming?
                          I was mainly talking about HD movie downloads, especially Apple's new HD service. I think they've stated they will use 720p 5 Mbps encodes, although that's probably pushing it in terms of quality, as 6 Mbps is the minimum I find acceptable on a big screen.

1080p encodes will require at least 2.25 times the bitrate of 720p, so about 13 Mbps.

My 8 Mbps ADSL only has a theoretical limit of 8 Mbps, the actual connection is about 6 Mbps, so I'm barely able to stream an acceptable quality HD 720p movie, assuming I don't use the connection for anything else.

About 5.4 GB of bandwidth is used to download or stream a single movie. My ADSL plan has a monthly limit of 40 GB, so about 7 movies before I run out, and again, assuming I don't use the Internet for anything else. I pay $USD 100 per month for my ADSL, so that works out to be $14 per movie just for bandwidth costs alone. Unless Apple makes some deals with ISPs here to offer free bandwidth for their downloads, then I think I'll stick with Blu-ray and HD DVDs for the present (my recent Blu-ray/HD DVD purchase from Amazon during their "buy one get one free sale" had an average of about $USD 16 per movie, including the expensive shipping here to Australia - for people in the US, the same order would have averaged $12 per movie).

Comment

• rago88
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Aug 2005

Admin,

my questions in my post were about rentals vrs downloading thru Time Warner, Apple etc ..
                            Are you talking about purchasing movies via the above
                            vrs store buying?

Comment

• admin
                              Administrator
                              • Nov 2001

I was just saying that given current broadband capabilities, at least here in Australia and most of the world, video downloading/streaming isn't as affordable as the good old optical disc. So whether it's store buying or renting, the result is the same ... sending discs through the post or getting them down the store has a higher throughput than broadband at the moment, and cheaper as well.

But the technology will get there (5 to 10 years), and when it does, I think it will be pretty neat. It will be very much like the current Netflix type video rental, but instead of sending you discs and returning them, you just download it, or play while downloading. HD movies will hopefully download in a matter of minutes, not hours, and there should be unlimited bandwidth. There's no need to wait a day or two for the discs to arrive through mail, or to return anything. No worries about scratched discs that won't play either. If the DRM for the video is time limited, then it will be a "rental". If the DRM allows for unlimited playback, then it becomes buying, and so it's easy to turn a rental into a buy. And because everything is digital, there's no issue of titles not being available because they've all been sent out. And hopefully they will also add the ability to burn the digital files to discs, just in case you need backup or to watch the movie somewhere else that doesn't support this kind of thing.

I think Apple and others see the potential, and they're trying to seize the market now while it's still early.

Comment

Working...