• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeBlues
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Dec 2006

Blu-Ray Burners... Ready Yet?

Just wondering from the GUYS that know...

I went to 2 places here on the net and there are only a FEW
    Blu-Ray burners out now... THEY ARE STILL very High in Prices..
    and one common complaint was java based software.. and SLOW burning times.

Cons: -Slow burns. Takes hours to burn a full sized 25GB Blu-ray Disc -Extremely expensive -Don't know if BD will beat HD-DVD ***READ OTHER THOUGHTS***
    "..HDCP compliant hardware ? Will I NEED a different video card?
    Will I be able just to buy the burner, then play it in my computer and
    still get the "full effect" when hooking it up to HDTV?"
    "....HDCP monitor or connection from the videocard to HDTV with HDCP capabilities (usually any HDTV with HDMI input) A regular monitor will not run Blu-Ray. There are very few LCD monitors out there with HDCP and they sadly all cost much money. Some trivia is that there is no such thing as an HDCP compliant CRT(those fat monitors) "
    "...HE stated that HDCP was just another gimmick, and that the only thing that was needed was a monitor supporting the 720p resolution. This is incorrect, as HDCP has to do with Content Protection, not resolution. If your video card and monitor are not HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) certified, then the Blu-ray Disc will not play on your computer. You can have a 30" monitor, doesn't make a difference, without HDCP the disc will not play. Think of it as a cd key, without it your program will not be usable on your computer."
    "...Windows Vista is an OS that is designed duel core processor if you have a duel core processor then there is a 99% chance that it is a 64bit processor, so you should have Vista 64, right, and if Vista is the only OS that supports HD streaming video then this drive should be 100% compatible with Vista 64Bit, right? NO, Before you can recognize this as a drive you have to replace registry files and manually delete and load drivers. And then when your done with that the only diver that you keep doesn't have driver signature support, so EVERY time you boot your computer You have to press F8 and disable Driver Signature Software (windows dose not like this, and you lose a big part of your Windows Firewall). And the soft wear that they give you is not compatible with vista. So after a month of e-mailing Cyberlink (no phone support, only online support you have to pay for) You finally get a version that loses video if you try to do anything else beside start up your computer and play the video"

... Firmware issues were/are big!

What are going to be the "right formulas" to get these puppies to work? Decent system requirements??
    Were they still in design to work with XP when they were coming out?

SOOOO Many questions.

So do we all "wait and see"? (how long or how many generations?)
    hehe yeah like I'm gonna PAY $15 for a TDK BR disk..
    When they gonna go down as well (any brand)?
    Or will the makers just keep the prices artifically high like they did CDs?

Sorry.. it' all just rattling around up there.. No wait that's the HD DVD junk pile
    OK PEACE

ElwoodsBrotherJake "...I'm on a mission from God, to help me and others from making coasters!
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

I say wait and see. IMO, the burner hardware prices are approaching reasonable (I can get the Pioneer PC burner for around $AUD 450 here), but the discs are still not cheap enough. The problem is that, with Blu-ray, is 25 GB or even 50 GB enough to backup your hard-drive, and is it too much to backup things like photos and music? And what about longevity? Will Blu-ray recordable discs last as long as claimed? And then there's the issue of LTH BD-Rs that I posted in the news section a few days ago, which might not be compatibility with some burners.

External hard-drives seems to be the value solution right now, especially the ones that have built in RAID mirroring, which means your data is safe from single hard-disk failures. It's not portable, but things like increased capacity on USB thumb drives might make BD-Rs unnecessary.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• ed klein
      Banned
      • Mar 2004

From my viewpoint there will always be a need for taking a Blu-ray movie only downsized to 25gb to 23gb and put it on a blank 25gb Blu-ray disk.

If no other reason just for being portable, and taking the disk to a friends house to watch the movie and to reduce hard drive space.

I am waiting for the costs to come down. Software player problems fixed, BD+ problems eliminated, profile problems fixed.

My next high performance computer will have a Blu-Ray reader and burner (optical drive).

And hopefully by then, I will have a standalone Blu-ray player that will play the homegrown Blu-ray disks.

Comment

• AlienX69
        Interstellar Traveler
        • Feb 2005

The disks are too costly ..... way too rich for me !!!

Comment

• JakeBlues
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Dec 2006

Admin a "?" for you...

Originally Posted by admin
          I say wait and see. IMO, the burner hardware prices are approaching reasonable (I can get the Pioneer PC burner for around $AUD 450 here), but the discs are still not cheap enough. The problem is that, with Blu-ray, is 25 GB or even 50 GB enough to backup your hard-drive, and is it too much to backup things like photos and music? And what about longevity? Will Blu-ray recordable discs last as long as claimed? And then there's the issue of LTH BD-Rs that I posted in the news section a few days ago, which might not be compatibility with some burners.

External hard-drives seems to be the value solution right now, especially the ones that have built in RAID mirroring, which means your data is safe from single hard-disk failures. It's not portable, but things like increased capacity on USB thumb drives might make BD-Rs unnecessary.
          I just had a thought... and I want you, and anyone else's opinion (right now)
          Can I burn normal dvds, on to a BR disk?
          ... Reason I ask...,
          #1) Dayum, all the DVDs I have I hate to lose them. Normal dvd 4.7 (right) and a BR disk 25 (hell with DL now they don't even have firmware fr them yet). CAN I put my dvds (maybe 5 or so) on one 25g BR disk and then play them back and have them look some what "normal" (even though not in "full"
          capacity?)
          #2) We have a reg TV now... but have been lookin` for a HDTV for a while so we can plug the computer/dvd/future br-dvd into LCD I saw a Olevia Silver 42" 16:9 8ms LCD around $500 USD. (after rebats and such) I'm not a BUFF and have to do NOT have to have everything I watch exact.. but I was wondering if I transfer the OLD dvds to BR-DVD and play them via a BR-Player and a HDTV as described would the person that don't buy the "best" nor settles for the "cheapest" be happy for a long while!?

** when watching a HDTV as I described, I think of it in terms of.. I can use it as a computer monitor and a dvd player, BUT it will PROBABLY look about the same as trying to play a "wide screen" edition of a dvd on a "normal" US television.

IT's the best I can describe...
          ANYTHING , that anyone thinks of, I will be thankful..
          PEACE
          ElwoodsBrotherJake "...I'm on a mission from God, to help me and others from making coasters!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎