Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nielsen VideoScan/Home Media Magazine: Blu-ray/DVD/HD DVD Stats (Updated Weekly)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Blu-ray is doing well at the moment, however, it's mostly down to price cuts, which has allowed us to see under $10 movies and under $100 players this holiday season. The whole point of Blu-ray was to offer a premium (ie. more expensive) format so that the studios can reclaim the ever decreasing profit margin for DVDs, but at the current rate, Blu-ray pricing will be similar to DVD's by the end of next year, and with more expensive manufacturing and R&D costs yet to be recouped, studios might end up making less. And the more money people spend on hardware (new players, sound systems, TVs), the less there is to spend on movies, especially given the way the world economy is at the moment.

So Blu-ray is probably a good thing for the consumer, being able to buy movies with 6 times more pixels and better audio for only maybe 20-30% more in price, and to be able to take better advantage of their HDTVs, but I'm not sure as a whole, it is good for the industry in the long run. It's isn't bad, it's just it might not give the studios what they had wanted, although they would have had to make the evolution to HD at some point.

I think the truth is that video games are taking over from movies, what with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 selling 6 millions copies in the first couple of weeks, the biggest launch of any music, movie or video game title in history. At the cinemas, 3D is helping to recoup lost income, so something more than just HD is needed for home video to grow. 3D? Movies on demand? Who knows ...
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Ok, since money is always the bottom line in business, then what do you in your experience maybe see happening w/Blu-ray? Will it be just another alternative format, even at the lower costs by the end of next year? If they so claim they're still not making any money, or recouping any losses then something will have to give. Prolly joining forces w/the Movies On Demand, and other alternatives is their best bet.

Otn, if I was a Big Wig Industry Guy, I would take my losses, and just go straight to HD DVDs, which Blu-Ray beat out in the 1st place. I would presume the costs would be a lil less than Blu-Ray manufacturing etc... They're really going to be in trouble when the hardware really goes down, including the blank Blu-ray discs. What w/all those decrypting software out there it's only common sense people will be joining that as well.

I really do feel that at this point they're better off dealing and coming to some sort of terms to Piracy, and then engage in some new endeavors. That's the main bug that ttytt drove all this nonsense, along w/making available a premium service for the HD Revolution. They're going about this a$$ backwards. Heck I'm even waiting for Blu-ray to come down. I'm also getting some DVDs once in a while that I missed out on, and are more available online at sites like Amazon w/extremely affordable prices and excellent service.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Stats:

For the week ending 13th December 2009, here are the stats:

Percentage of revenue:
        Blu-ray vs DVD: 13.56% vs 86.44%

Blu-ray sales up 70.64% compared to last week, total spending: $79.86 million
        DVD sales up 89.69% compared to last week, total spending: $509.12 million

You can read the latest digital edition of HMM (December 28 - January 3 Issue) with the above stats here:

Top 10:

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was this week's number one title, easily beating second place Public Enemies by a near 4 to 1 margin. These two titles, plus recently released ones, helped Blu-ray record the highest weekly profits since inception, with nearly $80m worth of sales.

With Harry Potter and Public Enemies both getting above 24% market share on Blu-ray, you might wonder why the overall Blu-ray market share actually dropped compared to last week. DVD performance was stronger this week, but it was 10th place Julie & Julia that may have been responsible. While this "romcom" ranked relatively poorly on the Blu-ray format, it did well enough to earn third spot in the DVD charts, beating even the likes of Terminator: Salvation (3rd on the Blu-ray top 10) and Star Trek (4th). Julie & Julia's Blu-ray market share was only 6%. Night at the Museum 2 finished 7th on the Blu-ray charts, but also only had a Blu-ray market share of 11%, and it's most likely these two titles helped to contribute to the slight uptick in DVD market share.

Lost: Season 5 also managed to debut at 8th place.

The rest of the top 10 were recently released titles, and the complete top 10 chart is below:

1. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
        2. Public Enemies
        3. Terminator: Salvation
        4. Star Trek
        5. Up
        6. The Taking of Pelham 123
        7. Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
        8. Lost: Season 5
        9. Angels & Demons
        10. Julie & Julia

Market Share:

Public Enemies managed 29.9% market share on Blu-ray, with Harry Potter slightly behind at 24.46%. The Taking of Pelham 123 was this week's top title with 67.22%, as to why, it's hard to tell. Terminator: Salvation continues to sell well with 42.83% market share, and Star Trek is still above 30%.

The complete Top 20 best sellers and Blu-ray market share tables can be seen here:

Year to Year Comparison

The stats for the week ending 14th December 2008 are as follows, after being adjusted to the new calculation method (see "Important Note" section in this post) used for the majority of 2009:

Originally Posted by Stats for week ending 14th December 2008
        Blu-ray vs DVD: 6.85% vs 93.15%

Blu-ray: $46.8 million
        DVD: $636.88 million
        The week ending 14th December 2008 was the week The Dark Knight was released, and the week was the previous record holder for Blu-ray sales. So this is a good week to compare Blu-ray stats for 2009 and 2008.

By revenue, Blu-ray's market share nearly doubled. Total spending for the week was $685.68 million in 2008 and $588.98 million in 2009, a shortfall of $96.7 million. While Blu-ray revenue increased 70.64% year on year, the increase still needs to be more if it is to offset the 20% drop in DVD sales.

But as we're comparing record weeks, although there are still a few left in 2009 that may even beat the current record, a 70% increase over the previous record is nothing to be sneezed at, with the average week's increases usually much higher on average.
        Last edited by admin; 19 Jan 2010, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• AT.
          • Dec 2009

First of all, thank You for posting all of these informationes - but sorry to say, there is something wrong with the above numbers.

Here are the stats, which were posted by You about the 14th December 2008 figures in 2008:

"For the week ending 14th December 2008, here are the stats:

Percentage of Top 20 titles by disc volume:
          Blu-ray vs DVD: 14% vs 86%

All sales by $ volume (Percentage of Total Sales):
          Blu-ray sales up 157.07% compared to last week, total spending: $60.78 million (11.64%)
          DVD sales up 91.83% compared to last week, total spending: $461.51 million (88.36%)"

IMHO, with these numbers there is a big difference about the conclusion, because these percentages means that 2009's percentage is almost the absolutely same as it was in 2008:

December 14th:
          2008 Blu-ray vs DVD: 14% vs 86%
          2009 Blu-ray vs DVD: 13.56% vs 86.44%

and it means that thats true, that Blu-ray sales were up (only) 31.39% compared to last year, but DVD sales were are also up 10,32% compared to last year.

Hereby I'll attach a table, which contains all the datas which were posted here until today - and a graph, which shows some intersting things.

I was also checked in this table, but I didn't found any figures near the numbers You posted about the 24th December 2008 in Your last post. Is it possible, that the numbers You posted now are NOT valid for 2008 because they were the figures for the 24th December 2007?

Thanks, and Happy New Year to All of You
          Attached Files
          Last edited by AT.; 31 Dec 2009, 06:05 AM.

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

As mentioned just under the "Year to Year Comparison" headline above, Home Media Magazine changed their calculation method half way through 2009, so the 2008 numbers cannot be directly compared to the 2009 numbers. What happened was the HMM under calculated the ratio of sales contributed by Wal-Mart, and so, the 2008 numbers exaggerated the Blu-ray percentage, while at the same time, underestimated the DVD percentage. HMM decided to make these changes to fall more into line with similar stats from other sources.

I know this is confusing, and it confused me as well, as I posted weeks and weeks worth of data without realising this change - I've since gone back to the week that the stats changed and added a footnote, and I've just edited the recent posts and added a link to this footnote. It also points to a flaw within this and all stats - they're really just estimates, rather than actual receipts, and if the model used to calculate them is flawed, then the numbers are next to useless, as HMM found out.

HMM now also publishes "year on year comparisons" (for example, "DVD is down 20% compared to the same week last year, Blu-ray is up 60% ..."), and so from these figures, you can work out what the 2008's numbers would look like under the new 2009 calculation model. In addition, HMM also released an updated table of stats that converted the old model numbers to the new model, and these corresponds 100% to the newly published "year on year comparisons".

So these stats which I originally posted for the week ending 14th December 2008 ...

Originally Posted by Stats for week ending 14th December 2008 (Old Model)
            Percentage of Top 20 titles by disc volume:
            Blu-ray vs DVD: 14% vs 86%

All sales by $ volume (Percentage of Total Sales):
            Blu-ray sales up 157.07% compared to last week, total spending: $60.78 million (11.64%)
            DVD sales up 91.83% compared to last week, total spending: $461.51 million (88.36%)
            ... now become:

Originally Posted by Stats for week ending 14th December 2008 (New Model)
            Blu-ray vs DVD: 6.85% vs 93.15%

DVD: $636.88 million
            Blu-ray: $46.8 million
            Also note that the "Blu-ray vs DVD" percentages shown for the old model data was using "top 20 disc volume", while the revised new model's percentages are a percentage of total revenue. So the comparable percentages are the ones shown in bold above, and the conversion from old to new model was 11.64% to 6.85%, for Blu-ray's market share.

Also note that the week ending 14th December 2008 was officially the best week for Blu-ray until just recently, as it was the week The Dark Knight was released. The week ending 13th December 2009 also had some big releases, but nothing on the same scale as TDK, and so the 2009 numbers are even better when viewed in this light.

Sorry for the confusion ...

Comment

• AT.
              • Dec 2009

"I know this is confusing,"

I think, these ideas are not confusing, but pure lies from Nielsen. I don't think, that a 50%(!!!!) miscalculation can be a failure, so these estimations must be simple fakes. Fakes now, and they were fakes then, so these are surely not valid numbers anymore in any aspect.

As I remember, there is a film out there called "True lies", but this way these figures are are the "Pure lies"... and unfortunately nothing else.

"can work out what the 2008's numbers would look like under the new 2009 calculation model.

I'am sorry, but it's not a model any more, but only paid advertising fake figures to pump up the Blu-Ray fan clubs lowering fate...

"In addition, HMM also released an updated table of stats that converted the old model numbers to the new model, and these corresponds 100% to the newly published "year on year comparisons"."

IMHO, this is not correct this way (not Your, but their lie), as they updated the table in order to show what they want to show NOW. If this will be wrong, then they will recalulate the past again. Orwell rulez - 1984 reloaded.

Anyway - did they said, were they lied? Were they withdraw all the figures, and all their COMMENTS they were made by them in the last year? No.

Anyway these numbers are much more impossible now by their comments, because what an idiotic fake, that after they changed the calculation method, DVD went up 50%, and in the meantime BD wend DOWN(!!!) by 50%? How can it be possible in any aspect, that after change the TOP20 number to the estimated total sales the figures are became 50% less IN THE PAST?????!!!!!!!

IMHO, these "ideas" means truly a 100% miss... a 50-50% random number could be surely better then these "models"...

Sorry for the confusion ...
              It was absolutely not Your fault!!!

I wish to thank YOU again for the great job You made - it was the real great job, that helped me and You to figure out that the Nielsen stats are nothing else than payed advertisements and pure lies without any truth in the figures.

So I wish to thank You again for the great job, and I wish You again a Happy New Year!

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

To be fair to HMM, their old figures were pretty off the mark compared to all the other ones and all they did was to realign it. Their fault was publishing the wrongly calculated old figures in the first place, the correction (albeit done very silently) was probably the correct move. The old figures were misleading, yes, and it helped Blu-ray back then by giving the format a more positive outlook.

Looking at Amazon sales charts and everything, Blu-ray's market share was too high last year based on the HMM figures, and about right this year. The real rise in market share occurred around September 2009, a couple of months after the change in calculation methods, as before then, Blu-ray still had many weeks where it only managed 7-9%. Since then, the big releases have come one after the other (many more than in 2008, which basically had 2 big releases in the second half of the year compared to about 10 in 2009, I'm not sure if this was related to the writers' strike), and Blu-ray's market share hasn't fallen below 10% since.

And when you consider how low Blu-ray prices have fallen (both hardware and movies), I don't think it's really that much of a surprise in terms of Blu-ray's growth.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

This was great that you guys noticed a real flaw in the actual calculations between both formats, and for both years either through the Top 20 or not. I seriously doubt these figures, however miscued they were, contributed to Blu-ray's steady market share now. It might of put them in a more positive outlook but the numbers didn't change at all until the time you mentioned. Numbers don't lie when they're the correct numbers.

Right now the combination of decreased prices for both the Blu-ray Discs and hardware along w/the release of Mega Block Busters has made a real time noticeable difference. I have to give it to them to really take such a loss for so long now to hope it settles at a reasonable pace where they could actually make some money back, and then some profit. I'm pretty sure that aside from the PS3, TVs, DVD Players etc... that Sony must be into some heavy investing in some other enterprises. Either that or they have made so much for so long that they can afford to lose now, and hope to gain later.

They've fallen in the TV industry as the number 1 Big Boy to Samsung and even newcomers like Vizio to some respect. This will all come to fruition when the alternative formats available for viewing, and playback come to a even platform all across the board, give or take.
                  SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• AT.
                    • Dec 2009

Originally Posted by admin
                    The old figures were misleading, yes, and it helped Blu-ray back then by giving the format a more positive outlook.
                    I think, the word "misleading" doesn't fit into this case, as IMHO it was nothing else but a PLANNED pure cheating and a lie to show Blu Ray as a growing format against to the truth. By this way, nothing happened now, as the goal is the same: they changed the estimations, to show the same as above.

Maybe I'am wrong, but unfortunately I haven't got even a single clue on how can the TOP20 BD selling - the ~60 million dollars estimation - go DOWN by 30% to 40 million in the meantime when the estimation was changed from the TOP20 to the TOTAL selling value? A less then 5%(!) market share for BD on 24.12.2008? Can You believe it? Am I the only one who smells some fishy things around here?

Originally Posted by admin
                    And when you consider how low Blu-ray prices have fallen (both hardware and movies), I don't think it's really that much of a surprise in terms of Blu-ray's growth.
                    I think, currently there is no way to tell anything about the "BD growth" as currently there are only fake and BD FUN CLUB numbers out there (and not real selling figures) as unfortunately eproductwars is down

But I think, in the former months we shell see new methods, when the Blu Ray selling will not show up the required values... what they was payed for... the show and the advertisement must go on...

Comment

• admin
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2001

It's the holidays, so no online issue of HMM has been made available this week, but most stats are still available from the Home Media Magazine website.

Stats:

For the week ending 20th December 2009, here are the stats:

Percentage of revenue:
                      Blu-ray vs DVD: 13.83% vs 86.17%

Blu-ray sales up 7.78% compared to last week, total spending: $86.07 million
                      DVD sales up 5.34% compared to last week, total spending: $536.30 million

Top 10:

The Hangover was this week's number one, easily beating Inglourious Basterds at second place. Last week's number one, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, slipped to third.

These top three titles helped Blu-ray reach another record, just managing to break last week's by just under 8%.

The week's only other new release, G-Force, was 4th.

The rest of the top 10 were recently released titles, and the complete top 10 chart is below:

1. The Hangover
                      2. Inglourious Basterds
                      3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
                      4. G-Force
                      5. Terminator: Salvation
                      6. Star Trek
                      7. Public Enemies
                      8. Up
                      9. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
                      10. Angels & Demons

Year to Year Comparison

The stats for the week ending 21st December 2008 are as follows, after being adjusted to the new calculation method (see "Important Note" section in this post) used for the majority of 2009 (original stats can be seen here):

Originally Posted by Stats for week ending 21st December 2008
                      Blu-ray vs DVD: 6.91% vs 93.09%

Blu-ray: $35.81 million
                      DVD: $482.76 million
                      It's a rare week when both Blu-ray and DVD spending is up compared the same period in 2008, but DVD revenue was up 11.09% with Blu-ray up 140.35%.

One thing to note is that there are many more hit releases in the last quarter of 2009 than there was in 2008, very likely due to the writers' strike, which at the very least pushed back Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince's release date. For the second half of 2008, only the less than new (but new to Blu-ray) Transformers, Iron Man and The Dark Knight were what you would call A-List releases. For the same period in 2009, you had Transformers 2, the aforementioned delayed Harry Potter movie, Star Trek, Up, Snow White, X-Men: Origins and to lesser degrees, Terminator: Salvation, and this week's top two releases.

DVD sales being down, despite more hit releases, also has to do with Blu-ray's success. With combos being so popular, and even if they didn't exist, every dollar spent on Blu-ray should equal one less dollar spend on DVDs, as hardly anyone would buy both versions, especially if one was already a combo. Add the increased popularity of rentals due to economic conditions, and also digital distribution, it's easy to see why DVD sales can only go realistically down, not up. This week excluded, of course.

Comment

• admin
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2001

Stats:

For the week ending 27th December 2009, here are the stats:

Percentage of revenue:
                        Blu-ray vs DVD: 21.18% vs 78.82%

Blu-ray sales total spending: $60.60 million
                        DVD sales total spending: $225.51 million

This would mean the best ever week for Blu-ray, largely due to District 9, which had over 40% market share for Blu-ray thanks to competitive pricing. The Blu-ray version was selling as low as $17.99 on Blu-ray, while even the single disc DVD version is $15.99, and the two disc version that is equivalent to the Blu-ray version in terms of features is actually more expensive than the Blu-ray version at $22.99 right now.
                        Last edited by admin; 19 Jan 2010, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• admin
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2001

Stats:

For the week ending 3rd January 2010, here are the stats:

Percentage of revenue:
                          Blu-ray vs DVD: 14.92% vs 85.08%

Blu-ray sales total spending: $37.72 million
                          DVD sales total spending: $215.13 million

You can read the latest digital edition of HMM (January 11 - 17 Issue) with the above stats here:

Top 10:

The Hangover managed top spot again, although since we don't really know what happened last week since the data is not yet available, it's hard to tell if The Hangover managed to get three number ones in a row, or did last week's new release District 9 managed to finish top. In any case, District 9 finished 2nd this week, just behind The Hangover.

Paranormal Activities was third, and another one of this week's new release, 9, was 5th, just behind Up. The rest of the top 10 were all previously released titles, and the complete top 10 chart is below:

1. The Hangover
                          2. District 9
                          3. Paranormal Activities
                          4. Up
                          5. 9
                          6. Inglourious Basterds
                          7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
                          8. Terminator: Salvation
                          9. Public Enemies
                          10. Star Trek

Market Share:

Of this week's new releases, District 9 had a very high 44.60% market share, probably the highest of any first week Blu-ray release I can remember. Whether the fact that it had the semi-exclusive PS3 God of War III playable demo on the disc contributed to this number, I do not know. 9 managed to get 30.61%, which is also quite high. Paranormal Activities didn't manage to get into the top 20, which isn't a disgrace since the number 20 title on the market share charts had a very high 19.27% market share. The market share charts may need to be redesigned again so that at least the weekly new releases show up, since it's now increasingly easy to find 20 titles, either new or catalogue releases, that can dominate the charts and push pretty much everything else away (say Warner has a sale of 20 titles at $9.95, then that 20 titles may take all the spots in the top 20 market share charts, especially if they're movies that have been on DVD for ages already).

The complete Top 20 best sellers and Blu-ray market share tables can be seen here:

Year to Year Comparison

The stats for the week ending 4th January 2009 are as follows, after being adjusted to the new calculation method (see "Important Note" section in this post) used for the majority of 2009 (original stats can be seen here):

Originally Posted by Stats for week ending 4th January 2009
                          Blu-ray vs DVD: 11.95% vs 88.05%

Blu-ray: $24.33 million
                          DVD: $179.32 million
                          Another week where both Blu-ray and DVD spending was up compared the same period a year ago. DVD revenue was up 19.97% with Blu-ray up 55.06%.

And I mentioned 2 weeks ago about the increased number of hit releases compared to a year ago, and this week is no different, which accounts for both the DVD and Blu-ray revenue being up. Last year this time, Eagle Eye was the only release of note, with The Dark Knight still dominating sales. However, as you can see in the top 10 charts above, there were 2 what you would call A-list releases (District 9 and Paranormal Activities). And add to that this holiday period's increased number of A-List releases compared to 2008 (basically 2008 had The Dark Knight and Iron Man, and that was it, and Iron Man was released in October and so it's questionable to even include it as a holiday release), it's easy to see why Blu-ray sales are up, and more importantly, why DVD sales (which has been on a decline in most of 2009) was up as well.

Comment

• admin
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2001

Stats:

For the week ending 10th January 2010, here are the stats:

Percentage of revenue:
                            Blu-ray vs DVD: 13.68% vs 86.32%

Blu-ray sales total spending: $22.42 million
                            DVD sales total spending: $141.48 million

You can read the latest digital edition of HMM (January 18 - 24 Issue) with the above stats here:

Top 10:

Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs was this week's top seller, although it only just managed to beat the previous weeks top hits including The Hangover in second place. District 9, last week's number 2, slipped to 4th.

The only other new release in the top 10 in this relatively quiet week was The Final Destination, which managed to secure 3rd place.

The rest of the top 10 were all previously released titles, and the complete top 10 chart is below:

1. Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs
                            2. The Hangover
                            3. The Final Destination
                            4. District 9
                            5. Inglourious Basterds
                            6. Gladiator
                            7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
                            8. The Dark Knight
                            9. Star Trek
                            10. 9

Market Share:

Looking at the new releases for the week, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs managed to score 17.86%, which is way below the market share levels set by recent new releases, but as it is a kids/family film, the numbers are quite respectable. This time last year, this would have been below 10%.

The Final Destination, on the other hand, managed 31.57%, which is as you would expect for a new release.

District 9 continues to hold a very high market share, at 47.16%, it seems to be actually increasing with every week. This is not doubt helped by having the Blu-ray version actually cheaper than the 2-disc DVD edition, which is still missing the Blu-ray exclusive content. This makes the decision very easy for someone who has a Blu-ray player, as to which version to buy. Whether this is the start of a new trend by studios, to subsidize the Blu-ray version by not discounting the DVD version, it is hard to say. At Amazon right now, the 2-Disc Blu-ray set of Inglourious Basterds is also cheaper than buying the 2-Disc DVD set. But most recent Blu-ray releases are at the very least equal or only slightly above the pricing of the 2-disc DVD set, at least on Amazon. It's getting almost to the stage where if you want like 2-disc sets, and want to save money, you need to get into Blu-ray.

Year to Year Comparison

The stats for the week ending 11th January 2009 are as follows, after being adjusted to the new calculation method (see "Important Note" section in this post) used for the majority of 2009 (original stats can be seen here):

Originally Posted by Stats for week ending 11th January 2009
                            Blu-ray vs DVD: 11.12% vs 88.88%

Blu-ray: $18.71 million
                            DVD: $149.56 million
                            DVD sale was down 5.4% from the same week last year, while Blu-ray sales rose a small 19.85%.

Blu-ray's market share grew by a modest 23% year on year.

Comment

• admin
                              Administrator
                              • Nov 2001

Stats:

For the week ending 17th January 2010, here are the stats:

Percentage of revenue:
                              Blu-ray vs DVD: 11.84% vs 88.16%

Blu-ray sales total spending: $18.94 million
                              DVD sales total spending: $141 million

You can read the latest digital edition of HMM (January 25 - 31 Issue) with the above stats here:

Top 10:

Oscar nominated The Hurt Locker was this week's major release, and it easily topped the charts by outselling The Hangover by almost two to one. Halloween II debuted at 5th, and I Can Do Bad All By Myself at 9th represented the only other new releases in the top 10.

Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs quickly dropped to 7th after last week's number one appearance, and The Final Destination disappeared altogether from the top 10.

The rest of the top 10 were all previously released titles, and the complete top 10 chart is below:

1. The Hurt Locker
                              2. The Hangover
                              3. District 9
                              4. Inglourious Basterds
                              5. Halloween II
                              6. Star Trek
                              7. Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs
                              8. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
                              9. I Can Do Bad All By Myself
                              10. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Market Share:

The Hurt Locker debuted at 35.41%, which again is a good result for Blu-ray. It's no longer a surprise to see new releases come into the market share charts at 30+%, whereas 6 months ago, it was common for this to be under 20%. Only the top 10 was shown this week, so it's hard to tell how well the other new releases did.

District 9 not only continues to hold a high market share, it was actually risen to 49.06%, making Sony's prediction that Blu-ray will have 50% market share sort of come true, even if it is only for one (Sony) title. With that said, Star Trek is still at 45.39, which means that consumers are clearly choosing Blu-ray over DVD for selected titles that really benefits from being on Blu-ray (and doing the reverse for the other titles that don't need HD video and audio). Consumers are smart, it seems.

Year to Year Comparison

The stats for the week ending 18th January 2009 are as follows, after being adjusted to the new calculation method (see "Important Note" section in this post) used for the majority of 2009 (original stats can be seen here):

Originally Posted by Stats for week ending 18th January 2009
                              Blu-ray vs DVD: 7.37% vs 92.63%

Blu-ray: $10.56 million
                              DVD: $132.81 million
                              DVD sale was up 6.17% from the same week a year ago, while Blu-ray sales rose by 79.36%.

Blu-ray's market share grew by just under 61% year on year.

Comment

• admin
                                Administrator
                                • Nov 2001

Stats:

For the week ending 24th January 2010, here are the stats:

Percentage of revenue:
                                Blu-ray vs DVD: 12.85% vs 87.15%

Blu-ray sales total spending: $19.46 million
                                DVD sales total spending: $131.95 million

You can read the latest digital edition of HMM (February 1 - 7 Issue) with the above stats here:

Top 10:

Gamer was this week's top selling Blu-ray title, beating Inglourious Basterds in second place. Of the week's other new releases, Pandorum was 6th, Weeds: Season 5 was 7th and Whiteout was 9th. The Bourne Identity, part of the release of the Bourne movies on Blu-ray, made it into the top 10 at 10th.

District 9 disappeared from the top 10, but "old" favourites like Star Trek and The Hangover are still in the list.

1. Gamer
                                2. Inglourious Basterds
                                3. Star Trek
                                4. The Hangover
                                5. The Hurt Locker
                                6. Pandorum
                                7. Weeds: Season 5
                                8. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
                                9. Whiteout
                                10. The Bourne Identity

Market Share:

Gamer, while 1st in the sales charts, is only 10th in the market share charts. While that would have been bad just a few months ago, it isn't anymore because 10th placed still meant a very healthy 31.5% market share, and still high for a relatively low profile release. Similarly, Pandorum was just above Gamer in the market share charts with 32.03%.

While the movie Moon failed to make the top 10 sales charts this week or the last, when it was released, it had 40.25% market share this week sitting in 5th place.

Year to Year Comparison

The stats for the week ending 25th January 2009 are as follows, after being adjusted to the new calculation method (see "Important Note" section in this post) used for the majority of 2009 (original stats can be seen here):

Originally Posted by Stats for week ending 25th January 2009
                                Blu-ray vs DVD: 9.62% vs 90.38%

Blu-ray: $15.66 million
                                DVD: $147.10 million
                                DVD sale was down 10.3% from the same week a year ago, while Blu-ray sales rose by a modest 24.26%.

Blu-ray's market share grew by just under 34% year on year.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎