Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nielsen VideoScan/Home Media Magazine: Blu-ray/DVD/HD DVD Stats (Updated Weekly)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

For the week ending 24th August 2008, here are the stats:

Percentage of Top 20 titles by volume:
    Blu-ray vs DVD: 6% vs 94%

All sales by volume (Percentage of Total Sales):
    Blu-ray sales up 14.25% compared to last week, total spending: $7.07 million (5.55%)
    DVD sales up 8.31% compared to last week, total spending: $120.41 million (94.45%)

You can read the latest digital edition of HMM with the above stats here:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Originally Posted by Chewy
      Expect tp pay 500-1000$ for a 30-40 inch flat panel
      I guess we're talking lcd then huh? i thought there were digital tvs that weren't flat panels or lcds/plasma. i better get busy w/at least the basics of all this. right now i'm a neanderthal. i know i'm old fashioned and somewhat of a traditionalist/conservative in some ways but this is ridiculous. i've been on this and the stops for no one. It's going to be a busy time up ahead but well worth it.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

For the week ending 31st August 2008, here are the stats:

Blu-ray sales up 28.94% compared to last week, total spending: $9.11 million (6.83%)
        DVD sales up 3.18% compared to last week, total spending: $124.23 million (93.17%)

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

For the week ending 7th September 2008, here are the stats:

Blu-ray vs DVD: 12% vs 88%

Blu-ray sales up 16.28% compared to last week, total spending: $10.6 million (8.71%)
          DVD sales down 10.56% compared to last week, total spending: $111.11 million (91.29%)

Best week for Blu-ray (versus DVD) since launch?

Update: I think this was Transformers driven, which explains why DVD sales were down, but Blu-ray sales were up.
          Last edited by admin; 14 Sep 2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

Update: I think this was Transformers driven, which explains why DVD sales were down, but Blu-ray sales were up.
            DVD and Blu-ray release dates for upcoming movies plus entertainment news and celebrity information. Want to know when the latest box office smash is coming to DVD and/or Blu-ray? Check out VideoETA, When Entertainment Happens.

DVD and Blu-ray release dates for upcoming movies plus entertainment news and celebrity information. Want to know when the latest box office smash is coming to DVD and/or Blu-ray? Check out VideoETA, When Entertainment Happens.

comparing the dvd's with the bluray disks that came out sept 2, it's fairly obvious that
            older title release is still inflating bluray sales

the sales of just this title would make a meaningful comparison

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

For the week ending 14th September 2008, here are the stats:

Blu-ray vs DVD: 8% vs 92%

Blu-ray sales down 13.39% compared to last week, total spending: $9.18 million (7.62%)
              DVD sales up 0.15% compared to last week, total spending: $111.28 million (92.39%)

Looks like the Transformers led sale surge ended a week later.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

Wow. It's going to be interesting when it all comes to a head and what will be in the end regarding dvd format. Like you suggested a hdtv is almost par for the course no matter what. If this Blu-ray thing folds, which to me looks like a great chance of doing, there's going to be a helluva lot more money thrown around coming up w/a new format that'll be reasonable accepted by the consumers.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• admin
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2001

Note that there's a story going around now that says "Blu-ray sales are down" and all that, totally based on the figures I've just posted above (Blu-ray was down 13% last week, but that was a one off due to the Transformers led bump the week before). It's a misleading story that gives the wrong conclusion so I won't even link to it. Blu-ray's market share has increased since HD DVD's downfall, but not as much as people expected, that's all.

The upcoming holiday season should be interesting. Blu-ray hardware prices are finally dropping to the sub-$300 and sub-$200 markets. There will be a huge line up of popular releases (Iron Man, TDK, plus popular catalogue releases like Godfather, Band of Brothers), and so I think it will do rather well.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2007

I'll be honest. after that movie display I saw in Bb a cuple of weeks ago w/that ps3 hooked up to a sony 1080p I could see why it's coveted by many. It convinced me of how great a picture it is. First time I ever saw it like that. Way better than displays in stores like Best Buy and such. Only thing I'm wondering is what they're going to do about the different signals coming from different stations concerning hd. Some will pump the best and others just what they can or want. No regulation coming for that? Guess it's consumer related also and the station's ability or willingness to do so?

ie: They pumped the best signal this weekend for the closing of Yankee Stadium on ESPN. It was crystal on my sd sony wega. Also if anyone noticed the Olympics were crystal also on NBC. At least here in NYC. So they could do it always if they want to.

Being that digital's going to be the standard anyway I'd hop on everything Blu-ray including burning etc... if the prices are reasonable. Right now I'm not looking to mess up a $22 Blu-ray blank. Tys and verbs are 1 thing. $22 a pop is another.

Comment

• admin
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2001

For the week ending 21st September 2008, here are the stats:

Blu-ray vs DVD: 8% vs 92%

Blu-ray sales down 3.39% compared to last week, total spending: $8.87 million (7.38%)
                      DVD sales up 0.02% compared to last week, total spending: $111.29 million (92.62%)

Comment

• blutach
                        Not a god of digital video
                        • Oct 2004

Biggest fizzer of all time - well, at least SlySoft are making money out of it, even if SONY and the MPAA aren't.

Regards
                        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• admin
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2001

Here's what I wrote in my weekly news roundup blog entry (yet to be posted) about comparisons between a week in April and a week in September of this year in terms of Blu-ray sales:

It's probably better to compare actual sales data. It isn't a good way either, because sales fluctuate seasonally, but because Blu-ray is playing the catch up game, its number should be ever on the increase as it gains more marketshare and tries to beat the slowly "dying" DVD format. Unfortunately, data on the week I am Legend was sold is not available. The earliest data I have is from the week ending April 20th. For that week, Blu-ray sold $9.93m. I had a search on the ever useful Blu-ray Disc Stats website and it seems that April 20th was the week that Aliens vs Predator: Requiem were released on Blu-ray, as well as the classics Commando and Predator, as well as the new release comedy Juno. The other titles were "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead", "Mariah Carey: The Adventures of Mimi" and "A Passage to India". To do a comparison, let's look at the week ending September 14th. Now this week had some good releases, Kill Bill vol 1 and 2, the new comedy Baby Mama, classics such as Cool Hand Luke and Jerry Maguire. Jackie Chan's The Forbidden Kingdom was also release in the week, and so were the latest seasons of Grey's Anatomy and Smallville (other titles: "The Alps", "Day Watch", "Don Giovanni", "The Fall", "How the West Was Won", "Manilow Live!", "Night Watch" and "Rudy"). And it was also the week following the Transformers release, so I'm sure it sold some as well. So how did this week compared to that week in April? Total sales for the week ending 14th September was $9.18m. That's a drop of 7.6%, despite the most recent week having more releases than the other one back in April, although no "first time on disc" titles such as AVRP.
                          Week ending 20th April 2008:
                          Alien vs. Predator/Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (Two-Pack)
                          AVPR: Aliens vs Predator - Requiem
                          Before the Devil Knows You're Dead Other
                          Commando
                          Juno
                          Mariah Carey: The Adventures of Mimi
                          A Passage to India
                          Predator
                          Sales Total: $9.93m

Week ending 14th September 2008:
                          The Alps
                          Baby Mama
                          Cool Hand Luke
                          Day Watch
                          Don Giovanni
                          The Fall
                          The Forbidden Kingdom
                          Grey's Anatomy: The Complete Fourth Season
                          How the West Was Won
                          Jerry Maguire
                          Kill Bill: Vol. 1
                          Kill Bill: Vol. 2
                          Manilow Live!
                          Night Watch
                          Rudy
                          Smallville: The Complete Seventh Season
                          Sales Total: $9.18m
                          Last edited by admin; 28 Sep 2008, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• cynthia
                            Super Moderatress
                            • Jan 2004

Comment

• admin
                              Administrator
                              • Nov 2001

For the week ending 28th September 2008, here are the stats:

Blu-ray sales up 23.22% compared to last week, total spending: $10.92 million (8.41%)
                              DVD sales up 6.87% compared to last week, total spending: $118.94 million (91.59%)

The best figures for Blu-ray since Transformers. This is the week with the Godfather collection being released, but nothing else much (hence the drop in the top 20 percentage). Next week will have the Iron Man figures ('bestest' week for Blu-ray is my prediction, although it depends on how well the DVD version sells).

Comment

• admin
                                Administrator
                                • Nov 2001

For the week ending 5th October 2008, here are the stats:

Percentage of Top 20 titles by disc volume:
                                Blu-ray vs DVD: 13% vs 87%

All sales by $ volume (Percentage of Total Sales):
                                Blu-ray sales up 145.68% compared to last week, total spending: $26.84 million (15.68%)
                                DVD sales up 21.39% compared to last week, total spending: $144.38 million (84.32%)

As expected, the Iron Man surge has produced Blu-ray's best week since launch. The magazine quotes the 7.2m versus 500,000 figures for Iron Man again (260,000 of those on the first day), which in light of the above figures, is a bit confusing. But this week's figures re-enforce the notion that Blu-ray's early adopter user base provides higher release day sales than DVD, as most DVD owners prefer to wait for the eventual price drop before buying. Iron Man will sell a lot more than 7.2m copies on DVD steadily over months, and possibly double the number of copies sold in due course, but the Blu-ray version's sales rate will drop off a lot faster. The Blu-ray sales percentage will also drop (so ignore the stories that say "Blu-ray sales down 50%", which is only true from a week-to-week basis), starting next week, dropping constantly until TDK's release.

Iron Man on Blu-ray sold 7 times more than the second ranked Blu-ray title (Forgetting Sarah Marshall).
                                Last edited by admin; 12 Oct 2008, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎