Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nielsen VideoScan/Home Media Magazine: Blu-ray/DVD/HD DVD Stats (Updated Weekly)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

I'm surprised to read that streaming of digital video is still not at its best because of the available connections most consumers have. I'm pretty sure it's going to kick in at some point as everyone imo is going to be left w/the decision of storing all the discs whether Blu-Ray or DVD. It's only logical that digital storage and retrieval will be the next and efficient transition.

Also as stated by the guy in that HMM article, we still don't have accurate figures for Blu-Ray because of their high prices. So while TDK, Max Payne and even Iron Man did and still are doing well, it's still not a clear picture of how far Blu-Ray has gone when you take into account the disc vol. and $$$ vol. as compared to DVD. If both those stats were compared 1:1 to DVD it still wouldn't account for much of the market share. It will however show Blu-Ray's increase over their prior sales more than anything.

Admin, where's that catalogue titles list you referred to? On your site where your blog is?
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Catalogue titles list?
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Originally Posted by admin
        Catalogue titles list?
        You mentioned catalogue titles in your post. Is there some specific catalogue you're referring to? Thnx.

P.S. I'm so use to calling you Admin here that I left a question on your ATI Catalyst update comment using Admin. You'll see it.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Catalogue titles refer to titles that basically aren't new releases (from the studio's back catalogue).

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

I got you now. Admin I know it might be a small task, but can you figure out the total Blu-ray discs sold for 2008 in accordance to the titles that came out and how much they were at the time of release? That would give us some real perspective on how they're really doing, instead of reading Sony's posts about how much they lost this last year.

The Big winners would fill most of the $$$ and discs, and the rest would just be gravy on the side. Thnx.

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

I think that's a bit beyond what I can do, certainly with the stats that I have. I only have DVD/Blu-ray sales stats from May 2008 onwards, and so I can't even do a year to year comparison until May 2009.

I think the simple fact is that Blu-ray is finally starting to do well, thanks to hardware discounts, and movie deals, plus some hit titles towards the end of 2008. Catalogue releases are also now being discounted, as opposed to staying at the original high price, and this helps to bring in additional money for studios are people upgrade their DVD collections.

The Blu-ray market share is now above 10% for sure, possibly above 15%, which is quite an improvement from this time last year (around 3% to 5%). However, some of this is due to DVD sales dropping at the same time Blu-ray sales are increasing, so the overall money earned by studios has dropped, and thus, Blu-ray cannot help them through this recession or through the natural process of people spending less on movies (and more on video games, or food).

So to sum up, Blu-ray is definitely doing well, but not well enough for the studios liking. It's better than the alternatives, such as an ongoing format war or no HD formats at all, but it's not the saviour that they had hoped for ... yet.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

Thnx. I didn't know how far back you had started the stats thread on Blu-ray. You hit it right on the button. Blu-ray is doing better , but the studios have last word, and could possibly be the main reason to going to a new format or dropping Blu-ray. Time will tell. I always knew and say that when there's $$$ involved it's always about the $$$.

Comment

• BR7
                  He is coming to your little town!
                  • Aug 2005

and could possibly be the main reason to going to a new format or dropping Blu-ray.
                  Dropping blu-ray will not happen.It's seems funny to me on how short peoples memories are.If you look at the stats... DVD took just as long if not longer to catch on. If I remember what I read correctly,Blu-ray sales are ahead of pace in sales that DVD was when it first started.

DL's are not going to be put out to replace anything,it will be for convenience like music. Not to mention DLs will more then likely be 720p(maybe lower) and after it's compressed for downloads,who knows what you will get.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2007

I don't know if it stays or goes, but remember the jump to DVD's was way bigger than the jump to Blu-rays. You were talking then of VCR's and all the movies in the warehouses, video stores, etc... that needed to be vacated to finally make way for the DVD's and the players. Matter of fact some video stores until recently just got rid of their inventory.

DL's w/the right connections and setup, especially w/what they have in mind as far as kiosks and all that will most definitely be more convenient, and cheaper together w/the fact that most won't mind the picture being like that of a DVD. I have no problem w/Blu-ray. I might end up w/a PS3 for what it can offer additionally. Consumers will go for what is best in terms of $$$, availability and satisfaction. With all that's coming out and is out, even if it survives, which it might, if not for the Studios, it might not be the front runner of all formats or methods etc...

I know many now that haven't burned or bought in a while, and just strictly downloading, and they were way ahead of me before and now in regards to the whole digital business. If you ever get a chance to receive Fios from Verizon get it, even for a short while, you'll see how clear a DL flic can be from that optical connection. It's all good.

Congrats on your Steelers btw.

Comment

• BR7
                      • Aug 2005

If you ever get a chance to receive Fios from Verizon get it, even for a short while, you'll see how clear a DL flic can be from that optical connection. It's all good.
                      That's the thing,a lot of people can not get DSL, cable or Fios do to being out in the "I dont care about you zone".Companies do not feel it's worth their money to offer service to everyone out so many miles past city limits.I contacted both DSL satellite companies and they both made it clear they have no plans on accommodating people for this download age . This is why I feel downloads will not take over for a while and this is why discs will remain being a big factor. They cant just tell people your SOL because we dont see the proper profits of going out of our way.

Congrats on your Steelers btw.
                      Thanks I am still all stoked about it

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• doctorhardware
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Dec 2006

I thought that high speed satellite connection did not have any restrictions.
                        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• BR7
                          • Aug 2005

Yea, unfortunately they do,it's called Fair Access Policy (FAP)

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• doctorhardware
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Dec 2006

Need to get rid of the FAP. It causes people to be forced to dial up only which really sucks. Before I was able to get high speed cable, all I had was dial up. The fastest I would connect at was 18k on a good day. The average connect speed was 9600k.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • May 2007

Try hitting your local congressman or Rep. Can't hurt. Petition signing and all. I've done some advocating w/some results. Can't win them all.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • Dec 2006

To high speed internet at my house it took over 10 years.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎