Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amert20
    • Apr 2002

Divx5 codec problems

I installed most recent Nimo codec as well as Divx 5.02 codec. I can watch the movies encoded with Divx 5 on Window Media Player, but I can not open them in Virtualdub nor convert them to VCD with TMPGENC. It seems that both softwares cannot find the codec. I was wondering what might be the problem. Is there any way to tell Virtual dub and TMPGENC the location of the codec? Where does the Window 2000 install the codec?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks...
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

First of all you should be able to view them in WMP 6.4 BTW, wmp 6.4 might to a codec download, just let it do that.

Secondly, TMPGEnc is INCOMPATIBLE with divx 5.xx codecs, so you will need to convert them to another divx version prior to converting.

Comment

• amert20
      • Apr 2002

codec issues

I have another Window 2000 machine. On this machine I can use TMPGENC and virtualdub with Nimo codec pack which has Divx 5 included, but on my machine I am having problem with 2000 operating system. After I download and installed the windows 2000 service pack I started having the problem. I removed the service pack and re-installed the codecs still having problems.

After first time I installed the operating system, Divx 5 codec worked with virtualdub and TMPGENC but after the service pack it does not work.

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

However, I believe UncasMS said that both exist. Nonetheless, I don't think divx 5.xx will not work with TMPGEnc (it would be surprising if your file worked).

Comment

• amert20
          • Apr 2002

Divx5.0

I converted Batman Returns and Batman Forever both of them encoded with Divx by using TMPGENC and watched them. Both of them worked. I was wondering whether Service packs massed up my system. May be the codec was not registered correctly in the system. But I don't still undewrstand how come Windows Player 7.1 can find and play the movie but Virtualdub compaints that Cannot find divx decompressor.

Comment

• Batman
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2002

Great A Batman fan! I've got Batman and Batman Returns , but not Batman Forever. That doesn't mean their encoded with divx 5.xx codec. There are three versions of the codec. To find out exactly what it is encoded with open the file in virtualdub and post the "file information"

I don't think service packs are an issue. Post the file information and I'll be able to help you out.

Comment

• amert20
              • Apr 2002

Cannot open in virtualdub

I tried to open .avi files in virtualdub but I cannot open them. The error I got cannot locate the Divx decompressor. I will try to open in another machine tonight.

I don't understand why it works on another Windows 2000 machine but not on mine.

Comment

• Batman
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Jan 2002

The files work find in WMP 7.1 (audio and video are in sync) but you can't open them in virtualdub? Am I right?

Comment

• amert20
                  • Apr 2002

OK with Windows Player

Yes, files open in Windows media player and plays without any problem. I cannot open in Virtualdub end convert inTMPGENC. I extracted audio by using Goldwave since it is AC3 audi.

Comment

• Batman
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2002

Try upgrading to the latest version of Virtualdub.

Comment

• amert20
                      • Apr 2002

I believe I have 1.4.10. First I taught the same thing and updated both Virtualdub and TMPGENC.

Comment

• Batman
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Jan 2002

Post the exact error you recieve.

Try this, UNINSTALL DIVX 5 then INSTALL divx 3.11 alpha.

Comment

• amert20
                          • Apr 2002

I will do it tonight and let you know. I will also try to run regsvr32.EXE with divxdec.AX file to register manually to see whether it will change anything.

Comment

• amert20
                            • Apr 2002

error message from Virtualdub

Here is the error message I received when I run virtualdub

"Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'DX50' (unknown).
                            Virtualdub requires a video for Windows(VFW) compatable codec to decompress video. Directshow codecs such as those used by Windows media player are not suitable"

Any ideas to fix the problem.

Thanks...

Comment

• amert20
                              • Apr 2002

Resolved

Finally problem was fixed. I deleted all the codecs on my machine and rebooted the machine and logged in as admin and installed the codecs. Now it works......

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎