How to burn m2ts to DVD

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • divx_newbie_05
    • Dec 2005

Hi All: I have an m2ts file and a DL burner on Win 7. I'm able to initiate a Windows DVD Maker "burn to DVD" session but it crawls...it looks like it would take days to burn the DVD. I've read that DVDMaker must convert the m2ts format to something else before burning, but I'm not sure what format is required.

I tried to use TMPGEnc (demo) and it wouldn't read the m2ts file...so after googling some more, I started converting it to mp4 using HandBrake, but that's estimating it will take 15 hours to convert.

Just wondering what the recommended way would be to burn this file onto a DL disc? Am I on the write "track" in converting to mp4 first, or is that unnecessary?

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

i have said it before and will repeat it once more:

it rather depends on WHERE you want to play the burned media!

m2ts can easily be put into AVCHD structure (using tsmuxer) and then burned to dvd/dvd-dl and played on almost any BLU-RAY player but of course not normal dvd player

if you want to play it on a dvd player, use avstodvd to convert the m2ts to dvd and then burn it

Comment

• divx_newbie_05
        • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by UncasMS

m2ts can easily be put into AVCHD structure (using tsmuxer) and then burned to dvd/dvd-dl and played on almost any BLU-RAY player but of course not normal dvd player

if you want to play it on a dvd player, use avstodvd to convert the m2ts to dvd and then burn it
        Thanks for the quick reply...and I apologize for not being clear. I want to burn the m2ts file to DL media to be played in a regular DVD player, not a blu-ray player. I'll try avstodvd and follow up if I have more questions!

Comment

• divx_newbie_05
          • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by UncasMS

OK, I tried converting it using AVStoDVD, and everything worked fine...burned it to DVD+R DL media using Roxio Disc Copier, and it played in my computer fine.

But, when I put it in my Sony DVD changer, an error popped up that it was unable to play the disc because of a regional problem, or something like that.

Would that be due to the original source file, or the conversion process in AVStoDVD?

[update]...crikey...even weirder...it plays fine in a Samsung DVD changer, just not in the Sony changer (both are U.S. players)...go figure?
          Last edited by divx_newbie_05; 5 Feb 2010, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• digitalnaive
            • Feb 2010

windows movie maker failing to import m2ts files

zimmer29,

You are right! For windows there's windows movie maker. On this subject, I have a question.

A couple of years ago, I bought a Sony laptop. Later after a year, I bought a Canon HG-10 HD Camcorder. As I was on 'budget mode', I preferred to convert my videos into standard def for now and 'save' all HD video files for future. I discovered that windows movie maker does the conversion for me and with few tweaks I figured out a way.

But, 2 months ago, my laptop crashed/broken and I bought a new laptop - LENOVO. Both earlier Sony laptop and now LENOVO laptop have vista installed. Now, I try to make movies the SAME way I did with Sony laptop. But this new one, LENOVO, for some unknown reason every time I open windows movie maker application and hit import button to import videos, the entire application crashes - all I see is this message, "Windows Movie maker has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".

At this point, I called LENOVO tech support, but they are more interested in uninstalling the entire o/s and then re-installing it. But, I am skeptical about this approach as they didn't even try to understand the problem. As soon as I told them what my problem was, this was the immediate solution they recommended. They may be right. But I wanted to check with other people before I decide to take that route.

Please advise.

-Josh

Comment

• xxDragonbladeXx
              • Mar 2010

To burn the structure with the ImgBurn, you have to choose write files/ folders to disc, then you choose the little icon with the folder and a mag glass on the side. Then select all the folders the ts made.

Comment

• bobmacans
                • Jun 2010

I myself learned a lot from this page.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

The way I've been doing it lately is to use HCgui manually to get an .m2v file. Also used is tsMuxer, MkvToolnix, and DVDAuthorGui.

Let's take an example of 1080P .m2ts file that has one AC3 audio track, no subtitles.. just to keep it simple. Also for now assume the movie run time is 90 minutes. Also the
                  output DVD will be NTSC.

I use tsMuxer to demux all the tracks into a folder. Then I use MkvMergeGui to mux the video and audio into an .mkv file. I create an AviSynth script, say movie.avs as follows:

Code:
                  DirectShowSource("movie.mkv",audio=false)
                  Spline16Resize(720,480)
                  Now you do all the other settings using HCgui. For a 90 minute film 8660 kbit should be a safe average bit rate with 9000 as max. For longer movies use a bitrate calculator to get the average. Make sure Pulldown box is checked. Use 2 pass "best" profile. For everything else the defaults should work.

Load movie.avs and start the job. When done you'll have movie.m2v. Now use DVDAuthorGui to author a DVD using movie.m2v and movie.ac3(that you got by demuxing with tsMuxer.) I use a custom DVD size of 8032MB and chapters every 5 minutes. This makes it a good chance Imgburn will be able to automatically set a good layer break.

Burn to DVD9 with Imgburn.

For particulars on any of the step look for a guide for that tool.
                  I've done at least a dozen like this and the resulting DVD9 looks very close to the original HD when played on my upscaling DVD player.

You may ask, why remux .m2ts as .mkv? Mainly because most Vista or Windows7 will have a codec to handle .mkv with DirectShow but they may not have for .m2ts. So by using DirectShowSource("movie.mkv",audio=false) in the .avs script, I know it will work on both my Vista and W7 machines.
                  Last edited by MilesAhead; 8 Jul 2010, 05:39 AM.

Comment

• azeniyxl
                    • Nov 2010

This is a question about 2008, why there are so many people answer it now?

Comment

• MilesAhead
                      Eclectician
                      • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by azeniyxl
                      This is a question about 2008, why there are so many people answer it now?
                      We're procrastinators. In fact, I should have waited 6 months before answering your question.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
                        The way I've been doing it lately is to use HCgui manually to get an .m2v file. Also used is tsMuxer, MkvToolnix, and DVDAuthorGui.

Let's take an example of 1080P .m2ts file that has one AC3 audio track, no subtitles.. just to keep it simple. Also for now assume the movie run time is 90 minutes. Also the
                        output DVD will be NTSC.

I use tsMuxer to demux all the tracks into a folder. Then I use MkvMergeGui to mux the video and audio into an .mkv file. I create an AviSynth script, say movie.avs as follows:

Code:
                        DirectShowSource("movie.mkv",audio=false)
                        Spline16Resize(720,480)
                        Now you do all the other settings using HCgui. For a 90 minute film 8660 kbit should be a safe average bit rate with 9000 as max. For longer movies use a bitrate calculator to get the average. Make sure Pulldown box is checked. Use 2 pass "best" profile. For everything else the defaults should work.

Load movie.avs and start the job. When done you'll have movie.m2v. Now use DVDAuthorGui to author a DVD using movie.m2v and movie.ac3(that you got by demuxing with tsMuxer.) I use a custom DVD size of 8032MB and chapters every 5 minutes. This makes it a good chance Imgburn will be able to automatically set a good layer break.

Burn to DVD9 with Imgburn.

For particulars on any of the step look for a guide for that tool.
                        I've done at least a dozen like this and the resulting DVD9 looks very close to the original HD when played on my upscaling DVD player.

You may ask, why remux .m2ts as .mkv? Mainly because most Vista or Windows7 will have a codec to handle .mkv with DirectShow but they may not have for .m2ts. So by using DirectShowSource("movie.mkv",audio=false) in the .avs script, I know it will work on both my Vista and W7 machines.
                        btw the latest BD Rebuilder now outputs to standard dvd. Just select dvd5 or dvd9 and let it do it for you. The output sizes are a bit light but the video looks good. As it goes along I'm sure JDobbs will tweak it to use more of the disc.

Use tsMuxer to produce a BluRay disc structure for input to BDRB. It will take it from there.

Comment

• agoni
                          • Nov 2010

Thanks

Originally Posted by zimmer29
                          For Mac users:
                          1. Open iDVD
                          2. Click "Create New Project"
                          3. Save it.
                          4. Drag the video clip into iDVD.
                          5. If you don't want a menu, click View -> Show Map. Then, arrange the video clip before the menu, click it, click Advanced -> Loop.
                          6. Burn.

For Windows users: check the windows dvd maker, it is free
                          Thanks~

Comment

• luka3rd
                            • Apr 2011

Thanks!

Hello and thanks everybody!
                            Specially to ed_klein!
                            This is the first time I have tried this and I made it!!!

Comment

• GatoMedio
                              • Dec 2014

Windows DVD maker is NOT free

For Windows users: check the windows dvd maker, it is free
                              Okay, it's been a while since this piece of advice was posted by zimmer29, so there's a chance that Windows DVD maker was free then. It no longer is. Now, the free download gives you a version that puts a watermark on the result and limits the output to 3 minutes.
                              Just thought I mention this to save other latecomers (like me) the waste of time downloading and installing a piece of software that's useless for all practical purposes.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎