Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VLC (VideoLAN) Gamma Correction for MPG Video File!?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • towerofchico
    • Aug 2008

VLC (VideoLAN) Gamma Correction for MPG Video File!?

Hi there!

I have a mpg video file that I shot with my digital camera but its pretty dark.

I watched the video on VLC (VideoLAN) and improved the gamma on the extended gui. it makes the picture so much more brighter and clearer. i've tried using adobe premiere pro and virtualdub to correct the gamma but i didnt manage to get a picture that was nearly as good as on VLC. And the higher i raise the gamma on these programs the more orange/red the picture becomes whereas on VLC it just becomes brighter and im definitely using the gamma option on VLC and not the brightness as that one makes the picture look fairly dull.

anyone know how i can achieve the VLC gamma correction and save it as a new file?

thank you.
  • nawak
    • Apr 2010

I have the same question!
    Noone knows how to export with VLC while applying the gamma correction?

Comment

• nawak
      • Apr 2010

I have found how to do what I want (brighten the video file), but not using VLC.
      I still don't know if it's possible to convert a video file with VLC while applying video "effects".

First, the reason why VirtualDub's gamma filters don't work: they apply the gamma on the RGB components. I am guessing that VLC applies gamma on the Y channel of YUV components only, which is what you want when you need to brighten a video.

Now, to brighten a video (apply gamma on the Y channel) you need to use an aviSynth script. Install aviSynth if you don't have it.
      The avs script will look like that:
      Code:
      DirectShowSource("C:\temp\video.mp4", pixel_type="YUV")
      ColorYUV(gamma_y=256)
      (gamma_y=256 makes a Y channel gamma of 2.0, which is what my video needed))

Then, open the avs script in virtualDub as if it was an avi file.
      Finally, convert the video using virtualDub as usual.

Voilà!

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎