Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kibescorp
    • Sep 2008

Regarding Disc Storage

Hi, this is something that has recently come to my attention regarding the storage of my DVDs. While I always keep my discs inside of either their original plastic cases, jewel cases, or paper sleeves, I also store the cases inside of cardboard boxes, specifically the corrugated kind available for shipping purposes.

I recently realized, however, that cardboard does indeed emit acid that can discolor and change paper and fabric over time, but I was told that other materials, or at the very least the polycarbonate plastic that discs are made out of, will not be affected.

I wanted to confirm whether or not this was true. I've put almost all of my discs into cardboard boxes, but I will remove them if there is indeed an actual threat to the longevity of the discs themselves. I am not concerned if only the paper sleeves will be negatively affected.

Thanks in advance for any attention given to this issue.
  • ed klein
    Banned
    • Mar 2004

From my viewpoint paper or cardboard is not a good storage arrangement.

I store all my optical disks, blu-ray, DVD-9, DVD-5, audio CD's in standard size audio plastic CD cases. Stored up-right on a bookshelf arrangement so it is easy to read the information on the spline of the plastic case.

Some optical disks have been stored as much as eight years with no ill effects. No warping on any of the optical disks and they ALL HAVE WHITE LABELS stuck to them or optical disks with the white labels built on from the factory.

Comment

Working...