X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

RealDVD Lets You Take Your DVDs With You

With the announcement of a new software program, RealDVD, Real Networks is providing the first mainstream means of legally transferring DVDs to a hard drive--with extras. The new $40 software is the first application to enable individuals to save DVDs on a PC hard drive without breaking copyright laws.

I suppose this software has the blessings of the MPAA? Read the full article, and it does sound a bit useless as it's locked to your particular hard-drive (even RAID mirror arrays which fail and gets a drive replaced, will mean you have to "re-rip" your entire collection). May be a solution for home theatre PCs, but would still rather have a standalone solution that can access this digital library.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

What do you bet it's just a fancy DVD Decrypter that hides the stuff so you can't access it?

I've found that on those "digital copy" DVDs... I checked my Terminator 2 disc (that's not one of the ones that has a use-once code)... all they did was hide some WMVs of the movie under about 18 subfolders that has a public DRM license key. Copy them to your hard drive and problem solved.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Reading more about RealDVD, it has these restrictions:
      • Only playable through the RealDVD player (each computer will need it's own license as well, $40 for the first computer, $20 for each additional)
      • "Ripped" DVDs will only be playable on the hard-disk it is ripped to, even if the other hard-disk is in the same computer (or if a drive in a RAID mirrored array is replaced, then the DVD becomes unplayable - copying to external hard-drives and then sharing that drive with additional computers would work (assuming you've purchased the additional licenses)

Comment

• jmet
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2002

Its still a rip off in my opinion......I am not going to pay $60 a movie just so I can watch it on three computers.

I have my desktop hooked up via a HDMI cable to my TV and stream movies to it all the time from both laptops.
        Last edited by jmet; 11 Sep 2008, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

The DVD Forum (ie. Toshiba) needs to make some kind of official system for doing this, IMO. Get specs done for a range of software, storage and playback devices that support disc-less playback. If you can get a standalone DVD player (with network connections, wired or wireless) to playback movies stored on a computer or external storage, then you have something that's slightly more useful.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

If they ever come out with a free trial, or if I meet anyone with RealDVD, I'll do some snooping on it and see if I can't figure out just how the DRM works.

I still think it's an ordinary ripper that says it uses DRM to avoid lawsuits...

I wonder how it handles ARccOS... would Sony really give away the decryption secrets that easily?
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
            My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡