• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
    Like gonwk said Billy Boy and his henchmen are planning to release that 7 version soon. That alone should tell you how thing's have been w/vista etc....

no thats a normal lifetime for microsoft for releasing new OS, they got really late on vista from XP.

if anyone havnt seen those early pre beta video's of longhorn, u should find them and see.... what they wanted to actually made but never cameout in beta 1 of longhorn.
    this windows 7 u guys think microsoft working now sorry they were working on it before the longhorn. with codenamed blackcomb.
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Originally Posted by atifsh
      u buy new car and it wont fit ur fav... old rims would u ditch ur new car or buy new rims?
      Depends on the new car. if it's a lemon or if I'm plain dissatisfied what use are my rims. 4 a $1000 j could of bought a 1/2 decent used car and probably put some decent rims on it also. Lol...

P.S. Anyone know what those bookmarks are doing at the bottom of our posts? also the word von is next to our name in the who's online index?

Don't tell me I caught something.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• atifsh
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2003

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a1UnGOJnq9A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a1UnGOJnq9A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
        Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

Good info atifsh. Only thing constant is change, so I'll ride xp till I can't no more and then do w/e needs to be done to accommodate any new os or hardware.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• soup
            Just Trying To Help
            • Nov 2005

What version of Nero? From experience I have found that if you want a good dual boot, install on seperate drives & install XP first. I know you can't do it that way, just info.

Comment

• jwo62
              Super Moderator
              • May 2005

Originally Posted by soup
              What version of Nero? From experience I have found that if you want a good dual boot, install on seperate drives & install XP first. I know you can't do it that way, just info.
              nero 6.6

even vista is telling me its incompatable.

i am determined to dual boot this box.
              i already have vistabot pro and easybcd.

im going to pick up a second hd tonight,and probably a vista disc. i could make an install disc,but i really would rather not have all the crap hp installs

overall,i love the pc.

gameing is great,the graphics in general are great.

i have obsevered several "quirks" in vista.

i have had to install half of my programs twice before they worked. re register/activate a couple of them too. its like it ...forgets.

this morning as i was removing unwanted shortcuts from my start menu,all shortcuts on the computer ceased to work. i had to restart(could only log off in task manager,even the shut down icon wouldnt work).

i have a couple games that i use daemon tools to emulate the cds for. after a re start,i had to re mount the images AND the saved game files were gone. i wouldnt think saved game files and daemon tools would even be related,but it seems so. it hasnt done that again.

even my preffered transcoder is throwing fits,its not reading the finished size correctly. i have been told it does work in vista.

i havnt given up on vista,but this is going to take some getting used to. the transition from 98 to xp was much smoother!

thanks for all the comments and advice
              ________
              TRICHOMES PICTURES
              Last edited by jwo62; 7 Mar 2011, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• jwo62
                Super Moderator
                • May 2005

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
                Man when it rains it pours. Did you go str8 to hp to get your system or did you go to 1 of the retailers like best buy,
                bestbuy
                ________
                Iphone games

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

Originally Posted by jwo62
                  bestbuy

Have fun. At least you'll have something to look forward to for the next couple of days.

Prebuilts aren't that great, and not too bad, but I learned by accident that it's better to go through the manufacturer, and you could still tell them what you want. i don't know if having their oem os discs and drivers disc would of made at least a bit of difference here, but it's not bad to have them.

Just curious, what benefit are you looking to get out of a dual boot if I may ask? Keeping the new system largely a part of the decision to do so? I could just imagine how much more complicated it might be to run 2 os and vista included to boot.

Just a suggestion here, I would gather all the info as possible on this venture, including our friend google so you could have more ammo in your hands when something pops up, as it will. Search, kill and destroy. Lol...

Comment

• jwo62
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2005

the only reason i need xp is to install and run alphacam.

if i can get it to run in vista,i wont need xp any more
                    ________
                    Yamaha Phazer Specifications

Comment

• dr_ml422
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2007

the only reason i need xp is to install and run alphacam.

if i can get it to run in vista,i wont need xp any more
                      Exactly. Check this out>http://www.planitmanufacturing.com/p...emrequirements

Many issues w/vista as reported on many sites. It must be important in your line of work so the decision might be made for you. Play w/google. see if any of the other pc gurus have come up w/a solid solution to this. nothing to lose.

Comment

• jwo62
                        Super Moderator
                        • May 2005

yeah,i saw that.

they dont even recomend it for the new versions

if you look deeper,they say it just doesnt work for older versions.

but thats my intention.

basically,they just dont want to support an older version. they would rather we buy a new package. havnt checked latley,but the basic package used to be about 10k.

the more i think about it,the more i think i should be able to create a new installer or just install maually.

and yes,i am all over google. in fact ,its my home page.
                        ________
                        JAGUAR C-TYPE SPECIFICATIONS
                        Last edited by jwo62; 7 Mar 2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• jwo62
                          Super Moderator
                          • May 2005

one of the first things i would need to do for dual booting my pc would be to have sata drivers for my mother board that are xp compatable. according to hp,they dont exist and the board is not compatable with xp. so a dual boot may well be out of the question.
                          ________
                          WASHINGTON DISPENSARIES
                          Last edited by jwo62; 7 Mar 2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                            Eclectician
                            • Nov 2006

nero 6.6

i have obsevered several "quirks" in vista.
                            I haven't had 64 bit Vista to play with but from what I've read there's
                            supposedly a 64 bit shell and a 32 bit shell. As example, all my little
                            shell extensions that I love to write won't work at all under the 64 bit
                            shell. Is it obvious which you are using or how to they handle that?

Afa Vista install CD if you have the XP install CD you shouldn't need it.
                            If you manage to clean off all the OEM gunk that comes with the PC
                            then when you have a number of apps installed just do an image backup
                            using a 3rd party app.

On your XP CD do a recursive search for ntldr and ntdetect.com.

If those 2 files are on the CD there should be a way to copy them to the root of the XP partition.

The main thing I guess is permission or ownership of the files when
                            you copy to the XP root partition.. or else you could just
                            lob them over from Vista. That must be why they say to boot
                            the XP CD and use the Repair facility to copy the 2 files from
                            the CD. At least on my machine once I copied those onto
                            the XP partition booting worked routinely.

XP on a separate physical drive I haven't done it. I think the only
                            OS I had boot off the 2nd drive was OS/2.

But as you say if you have the $$$ no reason not to get all the tools
                            you can. I looked through the posted Best Buy customer reviews
                            and out of 30 you get a couple where the PC wasn't assembled
                            correctly or had a defective part and the other complaints are
                            mostly wi fi or ir mouse or ir keyboard related. I don't use any of
                            those so my main concern if stuff can be made to work(I'm assuming
                            the wired network hardware and all the stuff that came stock works
                            with the Vista drivers) would be if the HD can be made to stop
                            thrashing.

Do you have any impressions so far? Does it seem to work the drive
                            for hours when idle?

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

according to hp,they dont exist and the board is not compatable with xp. so a dual boot may well be out of the question.
                              I have my doubts about the HP tech's competence, might as well ask your aunt mary

identify your chipsets and go from there

Comment

• gonwk
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • Dec 2005

... i really need alphacam,i use it in my work.
                                Hi jwo,

Can you run your Applications in "Virtual Machine"!?!?

G!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎