X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by jwo62
    one of the first things i would need to do for dual booting my pc would be to have sata drivers for my mother board that are xp compatable. according to hp,they dont exist and the board is not compatable with xp. so a dual boot may well be out of the question.
    You may try the site below for a more knowledgeable response.
    Registration is free. I'm sure there are a lot of people on that
    forum that try to hang onto XP if possible since they run business
    apps. I've gotten some good info there. If somebody answers
    your question don't forget to zap them some "points" as it
    encourages them to help you out next time.

HP Business Support Center

Comment

• soup
      Just Trying To Help
      • Nov 2005

Plug this into Google & see if you get anything that helps.

dual boot XP vista installed first
      NTLDR etc.

How to fix the NTLDR is missing error that occur when booting a Microsoft Windows computer.

I think you might have difficulty with Nero6 & Vista. I know when I ran Vista & now on XP64, I installed Nero7, put Nero6 on the XP32.

BTW, if NVIDIA comes into play, no matter what it always wants to go to the C:\drive, found that out on one of my installs of XP64, when XP32 was already installed on the C:\drive.
      Last edited by soup; 13 Sep 2008, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• jwo62
        Super Moderator
        • May 2005

Thanks again for all the info,its going to take me a while to digest it all.
        ________
        Vaporizer
        Last edited by jwo62; 7 Mar 2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

Originally Posted by gonwk
          Hi jwo,

Can you run your Applications in "Virtual Machine"!?!?

G!
          now thats a smart idea if works....
          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by atifsh
            now thats a smart idea if works....
            Another avenue may be a Linux distro and run the old Winapps under
            an emulator such as Wine. Linux was messing around with 64 bit
            support but I'm not current on the state of the art.

Comment

• ed klein
              Banned
              • Mar 2004

I second what Blu has said

Why do you want to spend ALL that time and effort, hours, days, weeks just to make an operating system WORK PROPERLY when it should be working correctly from the factory at Microsoft before it is released to the public.

It doesn't make me feel good to say I have the latest operating system when I know Vista is junk and an inferior product.

Thats why I got my new computer with XP PRO running SP3. Then soup it up the way you want to.

I know some of you can make it work properly, or close to properly but why should your have to. Boycott Microsofts BAD PRODUCTS.

Comment

• gonwk
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2005

Hi Ed,

Boy wish IBM had not sold out their soul and gave Bill the Crook Gates the right to sell DOS in his version also.

Actually, if I was IBM Chairman or Owner I would BAN any of the Relatives of the Board at that time to ever work for IBM. For screwing over IBM from a Giant to a Peon.

G!

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

Originally Posted by ed klein
                  I second what Blu has said

Why do you want to spend ALL that time and effort, hours, days, weeks just to make an operating system WORK PROPERLY when it should be working correctly from the factory at Microsoft before it is released to the public.

It doesn't make me feel good to say I have the latest operating system when I know Vista is junk and an inferior product.

Thats why I got my new computer with XP PRO running SP3. Then soup it up the way you want to.

I know some of you can make it work properly, or close to properly but why should your have to. Boycott Microsofts BAD PRODUCTS.

I hear you Ed. I at least have common sense for certain things. As soon as I saw the many posts w/vista and all their issues I stood clear. It really is a waste of time and effort to right the ship on something that should be correct from the get go. The old double work comes to my mind here.

Vista's going to be history soon also. I really feel Billy Boy just doesn't give a f..k. Guy has all the money in the world and he's throwing out betas? What a piece of work.
                  SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

gates gave IBM unlimited use of dos for like 60k, but then another guy had the other half

when he copied apple and came out with windows he called ibm and offered it to them,
                    they said nevermind we have OS2

that opened the door to HP and compaq to clone ibm's personal pc and buy windows from gates

IBM shot themselves in the foot

Heck xerox invented most of this stuff originally and gave it to jobs

Comment

• dr_ml422
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2007

Does Silicone Valley depict a pretty good picture of all these shananagins?

Man xerox was out when I was in grammar school. All I heard was, "i need to make a xerox copy of this please."

Well I guess they all are just out for the $$$ since HP was only getting better when they had the woman ceo running things. Their conservative constitutciency got rid of her but at a costly price. Their sales dropped and she sued and got some serious $$$ to boot.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

how u runnin' so far?

Thanks again for all the info,its going to take me a while to digest it all.
                        btw how you runnin' so far? I'm wondering because I'm seeing a string
                        of complaints in the HP business support forum about a "hard drive slowdown"
                        or some such thing with this HP line of machines. So far it seems to be unsolved. People are doing system reinstalls and the "slowness" comes back
                        7 days later. HD replacement seems to have no effect either.

hp9340f slowdown

Also I notice Best Buy now has Phenom quad core machines fully loaded
                        with 8 GB ram for a grand. Seems the cpu benchmarks aren't up to
                        Intel Q6700 though.

Comment

• jwo62
                          Super Moderator
                          • May 2005

update,

the pc is running fine,i have added a 1 tb hard drive and an lg blu-ray burner. i was going to add more ram,but after reading about the "slowdown" issue,which i do not have at this time,i've decided not to screw with it.

however,

the factory installed burner(a tsst) seems to have failed

my backups were freezeing and pauseing for no apparent reason,on all backups.

at first i thought it was a software issue,new version not work etc.

then i thought is was bad media,even though i use ty. but no.

i found my backups worked on my other pc. so i tried my lg burner,and they work there too. so it's a burner failure. it still reads ok,but burns are bad.

I hav'nt had a burner fail in years,i've always upgraded before they fail.
                          ________
                          Honda Racing Corporation specifications
                          Last edited by jwo62; 7 Mar 2011, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • May 2007

Hi jwo62. So you mean you were only reading and trying to play the discs on your sammy and they were freezing and stalling etc... Then on your lg which have proven to be better readers for the most part they play fine? If that's the case and they play on your other pc, are the burners there lg's also? If not then yes the burner you're talking about must have had it. You mentioned it came w/your pc, I don't remember if you just got this pc, or been having it, and optimized it a notch or two, because if you just got it how can you have known to upgrade it so quickly?

Comment

• MilesAhead
                              Eclectician
                              • Nov 2006

update,

the pc is running fine,i have added a 1 tb hard drive and an lg blu-ray burner. i was going to add more ram,but after reading about the "slowdown" issue,which i do not have at this time,i've decided not to screw with it.

however,

the factory installed burner(a tsst) seems to have failed
                              My AMD machine came with a tsst burner. Seems to be ok after a little over a year and a half. Guess I'll wait until after Christmas to look at the new stock of machines. It seems likely it will have at least 8 GB ram, 10/100/1000 ethernet, Vista 64 bit or some variation thereof. I'm watching what shakes out with the Phenom chips. It's hard to tell how much of a performance hit you take(if any) vs. the new Intel quads. Compared to what I'm running now though, either type of quad should seem fast.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                                Eclectician
                                • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
                                Does Silicone Valley depict a pretty good picture of all these shananagins?

Man xerox was out when I was in grammar school. All I heard was, "i need to make a xerox copy of this please."
                                I can still remember the smell of the "mimeograph machines" they used in school when I was a kid. It was sort of like a glorified carbon paper thing. All the copies came out in a bluish ink almost as if you had rubbed the page over a blue carbon. The copy looked like crap too. Very hard to read. I remember there was a bottle of blue liquid mounted upside down that fed into the thing. Sort of had an odor about 1/2 way between alcohol and formaldehyde.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎