X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

RIAA and MPAA Developing Domain-Based DRM

Once you've acquired a file, you could play it on any of your devices -- if it couldn't be passed directly from one DECE-ready device to another, you'd be allowed to download additional copies. And when you're away from home, you could stream the file to any device with a DECE-compatible Web browser.
    An anonymous reader points out news that the music and movie studios are attempting to develop a new type of DRM that would allow customers more flexibility in playing content on multiple devices. The Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (DECE) would establish a list of devices in your personal "...
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

This is the DRM that Sony has convinced others to join in. There's a nice write up about it here, where Sony says that this DRM is "better than free":

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

So what's gonna stop you from just decrypting the thing if you can use it on most portable players?

Or just have it sent to your HDTV, as the article says, and record it to your DVR, so you'll get all the HD glory
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

I think the approach would be to make DRM that wouldn't interfere with playback (as long as you register every device that you want to play it on). It would prevent sharing with too many people because you won't be able to register too many devices.

DRM really only stops casual piracy (sharing with friends) or people who don't know what they're doing (uploading DRM'd files online to share). The professional pirates will just remove or hack the DRM and upload an unrestricted version.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Well I know quite a few people who share their iPods around - as in "Hey, I bought this video, want it?" and they'll just plug other iPods in their computer and sync it.

iTunes has no problem with that... the problem comes with the other person tries to put it in their library.

The thing that catches me here is that not every device allows DRM, such as the Zune. I have a Zune and the only DRM it works with is the type found on its marketplace - not third party WMVs. And to put videos on my DS to play with Moonshell I need to make them .dpg files, which is like mpeg... so even if it does allow you register devices, it would have to make them DRM-free in some cases anyway. (Either that or not allow them, which takes us right back to DRM that everyone hates)
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...