X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

FP Monitor Dying? Nope

About a week ago my display got dim, fiddled around with autoset on monitor some time back, damn autochipsets, so I manually set brightness up to 90%.
    Helped a little, today it got worse and then the color shifted off scale, no adjustment helped.

when I had taken the computer out of town for a couple of months it had gotten really dirty from where I had to use it, I had blown it out but not pulled the vid card to clean.

Got a flashlight turned on computer and the damn fan wasn't moving, cheap POS ati 9600GT from england, I had bought the card over 3 years ago for it's
    superior chipset, small die, less heat characteristics

Got the fan pulled, cleaned the goop from chipset with lighter fluid, toothpick and q tip, got the fan off heatsink assembly, durn phillips screws were too small to even see, pulled a plastic flap up and filled the bearing well with wd40

washed the blades with q tip and water, zipped it back together after rotating fan blades and blotting up excess wd40, applied geil cu paste
    crossed my fingers and held my breath

• doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

You got extremely lucky, I use to be a big ATI video card fan. Have had too many video cards bite the dust. (no pun intended). I do not buy ATI video cards any more.
    Last edited by doctorhardware; 23 Sep 2008, 06:20 AM.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎