X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theseekes
    • Oct 2008

Huge diskspace used while joining avi

Hello netters,

I am joining 2 avi files (770 Mb a piece) using VirtualDub 1.8.6, and it uses up all of my available diskspace 74 GB and still complain out of disk space. Is this normal? or something wrong here. is there alternative solution that I can use.

TIA
    The seeker is out seeking....
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

I'm not that good with VirtualDub and other's here can tell you the settings to avoid what's happening. But I do know that AviDemux is very easy to use for appending an .avi file. First off once AviDemux is installed I recommend going into Edit=>Preferences=>Automation Tab and enabling all options. That avoids all the dialogs asking you if you want to unpack bitstream etc.. when you load a packed .avi file or a file that needs its index rebuilt or whatever. It just does it.

If the 2 .avi files have identical resolution framerate etc. then all you need to do to append is Open and load the first file then in the File Menu click Append and load the 2nd file. Hit Save on the main window Toolbar to save the appended files. That's it.

Comment

• theseekers
      • Feb 2008

Thanks MilesAhead,

I will try your suggestion to c if it make any difference. It is strange that VirtualDub would use that much space for 700 Mb file.

Thanks again.

The seeker is out seeking.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

You're welcome. Even if you figure out how to do it the VDub way AviDemux is also good to have. I've started downloading the build releases from SourceForge because it seems like they are improving dual core utilization with each release. It does choke on some formats but most converters do, so you need a toolbox full.

Comment

• edudez
          • Jul 2009

joining avi

Make sure Video is Full Processing Mode and Audio is Direct Stream.
          You need to Recompress the two avi files again.
          To do so: goto Video-Compression and select either divx or xvid

Let's say you select divx.
          Click on Configure within Compression selection.
          You see Divx Codec properties will pop up
          Make sure Home Theater profile is selected, also click on the bitrate calculator icon at the bottom right corner. Select :
          Filesize : 700 MB or 700 MB CD-R and click on accept.
          bitrate calculation is important.
          Goto divxland . org / bitcalc . php
          and download bitratecalculator. This will help you cutting the files size down to around 650-700

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎