Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cougar21474
    • Oct 2006

dvd playback issues

I can playback anything on my pc in divx,xvid,avi format and it sounds great...no problems...but when i play a dvd.....im not sure how to describe this but i'll do my best.....i can hear all the background sounds like horns hawking,traffic,even the musical score but i cant hear any of the talking.....no dialoge..i have to turn my speakers up very loud to even remotly begin to hear the words.any ideas?thanx guys.
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by cougar21474
    I can playback anything on my pc in divx,xvid,avi format and it sounds great...no problems...but when i play a dvd.....im not sure how to describe this but i'll do my best.....i can hear all the background sounds like horns hawking,traffic,even the musical score but i cant hear any of the talking.....no dialoge..i have to turn my speakers up very loud to even remotly begin to hear the words.any ideas?thanx guys.
    I get that all the time. Often when I convert an .avi to dvd I can only hear like the music soundtrack, not the dialog. If I hear anything I figure I have an audio track and just go with it. Something about the audio in DVD having a really wide range. Annoying because late at night if I play a movie and put the sound up enough to hear the dialog, then some car explodes and the walls shake!!

Comment

• cougar21474
      • Oct 2006

so is there a way to fix this?.......it was working before a few weeks ago then...boom.......no talking.......could it be a codec not being able to decode the 5.1 ac3 correctly?

Comment

• cougar21474
        • Oct 2006

Hey i fixed it!!.....I have the sound blaster 5.1 24 bit card for some reason it was set for 7.1 sound when im only using 2.1.....i changed the settings in the wizard and poof.....sound again......try that miles and see what you have for settings on your card....thanx for the help.

the properties tab is what i was using......click on the configure tab at the bottom of your playback devices screen......

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

I have mine set for my setup. Seems to vary by DVD. Some it seems no matter
          how I crank the volume the dialog is silent. Others seem more normal. It's too bad
          the sound effects and dialog aren't independently adjustable. Too many movies want to blow the windows out, but have the voices at a whisper(like dialog in The Matrix)

Comment

• cougar21474
            • Oct 2006

That is so true.

Comment

Working...